Home Technical Talk

XNA version 1.0 - now available!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
I know there aren't a lot of coders around here. But this still might be an interesting development for some. Especially since I understand that the content pipeline is going to be coming soon as well, and will likely be used in a fair number of games in the coming years.

XNA Game Studio version 1.0 is now final, and available for download! XNA Site It comes with an example game, the application framework, and documentation out the wazoo. You DO need to install Visual Studio C# Express in order to use it. One nice feature is that C# Express allows for GUI construction of applications. In other words, you don't have to be too familiar with coding to create a simple window. (I always found the Windows API to be a beast to work with)

For the more adventurous, this official version of XNA Game Studio Express enables the 360 support feature. If you feel like dropping some actual cash, you can port your creation over to the 360 for beta testing. If you're content with just the PC platform, there is no charge.

Replies

• JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    this is exciting, I was able to get a sprite moving on the beta, i need more time in the day though, i dont think i'll be picking this up for a while :-\
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking this out.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    And don't forget to grab Torque X while you're at it. It works alongside XNA Game Studio Express to create 3D games.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/x/
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    (Obvious Infomercial Voice) And isn't Torque X specifically designed to work in tandem with XNA Game Studio Express?

(announcer) That's right! In fact, Garage games has designed Torque X to be cross-platform compatible with Windows and the XBox 360. Games built with Torque X can be compiled for both platforms without messy optimizations. That's a time-saving feature that even XNA Game Studio Express can't boast of!

But seriously, thanks for that plug for Torque X. Garage Games is a great company, and their solutions for the indie community are well built and affordable. Even though the beta for Torque X is free, I'm going to keep playing with the basic XNA Game Studio Express. I want some manner of working prototype before I spring for a package as full-featured as Torque X.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    And don't forget to grab Torque X while you're at it. It works alongside XNA Game Studio Express to create 3D games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that's true yet, from what I understand Torque X doesn't have it 3d options enabled at the moment. I believe right now it's mostly just an XNA compatible version of Torque Game Builder which is their 2d game tool. I hope the 3d stuff comes soon though.