Home Technical Talk

Maya viewport destruction

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
moose polycount sponsor
I could have sworn i saw a post on this a couple weeks ago, but due to the overall weakness of the forum's search features... i cant find it, or wait 10 minutes between new searches (appologies for the slight rant smile.gif).

My problem is that the viewport (both persp and ortho) are getting extremely f'ed after a couple of seconds of rotating, zooming, etc. After a certain point it freezes in that position, i can still rotate, but the viewport flickers with the old 'saved' image.

Has anyone seen this, and possibly have a counter for it?

I do have an nvidia card, gforce, and am running Maya 7. I could always use max, but i wanted to play in maya again smile.gif

Replies

• Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    can't help but maya doesn't like nvidia cards that aren't Quadro...
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I know what you're talking about, but I don't know what causes it. I used to get windows ghosting themselves into the maya viewport when alt-tabbing from maya, to photoshop, to whatever other programs. The ghosts disappear if you rotate, pan, or press space to toggle full screen.

Don't know what to say if its happening just while using Maya alone, I only ever noticed it when using several programs at once. Either its stopped happening to me, or I've learned to not notice it anymore hahaha
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    What version of Maya and what graphics card do you use?
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Try setting Maya (in XP) to use the Windows 2000 compatibility mode.

Try updating your drivers to the latest version.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    doh, always there to save the day whargoul. I'd totally forgotten about setting the win2k mode for maya on this new machine, and changing it fixed all my viewport slowdown issues, thanks!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    sweet thanks guys. I went and did a full reinstall of Maya, and updated my drivers to the next stable version (84.something)... and while at first all seemed lost, it seems as if things are stable again.

ill try that setting whargoul too - should help out.

thanks loads.