Home General Discussion

Halo 3 trailer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gavku polycounter lvl 18

Halo 3 trailer is here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2606

.....first Halo 3 media that I've enjoyed so far.
pity it doesn't go for longer..

Replies

• Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, really cool. I wish it lasted longer.

...and thats what SHE said.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    that was actually really well done smile.gif i enjoyed it...

now lets see something running realtime.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, those kids were great. I wonder whose work it is? Blur perhaps?
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I really liked the kids too Daz. The seemed very 'real'. Not in a photorealistic sort of way, but in the execution of the characters and their animation.

I think the whole thing screams of Blur.
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I think the genius of the Master Chief character is just how little he actually says. Quite often this backfires with characters, but he always follows up his single sentence responses with increasingly glorious amounts of ass kicking.

I liked it very much. Let's hope it delivers like Halo 1 did.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?cid=9255

seems that it was created by digital domain

nicely done
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ah cool thanks. Hopefully I don't sound *too* bitchy, but the dev. team could do worse than to take a peek at DD's material and shader setup for the master chief ;-P

Damn though, those kids really are fantastic.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I think those kids are real guys. I think they are live action used in combinations with rendered landscape and some post processing on the kids.

It does indeed have that atmosphere of the Killzone 2 teaser
  • Asmuel
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    That was pretty cool smile.gif I think I saw a desktop that looked pretty similar to this well over a year ago, I could be mistaken but this trailer was problably in the works for some time. Oh man do I want to use that forcefield thingy shocked.gif
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice and all, but it's not really doing much to sell me on the game. In-game stuff like the GoW and Assassin's Creed videos are what blow wind up my skirt these days.

Anyone have a theory on MC's strategy with the grenade? Throw it into the ground, show off the nifty force field effect, then run directly at the enemy... peculiar tactic indeed.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    "The commercial is a mix of CG and Live Action."

taken from the bungie website, those kids are definitely live action, i was too optimistic to expect cinematics character to express emotion that realistically.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, doh. Thought they were too good to be true smile.gif Well spotted.

I totally agree Verm. It does nothing to make me want the game, and its tagline on gametrailers of 'Take an explosive look at why you bought an Xbox360' really irks me for obvious reasons.
    I read it as the grenade was a forcefield creating device, which he used to protect himself against the incoming missiles, then he simply ran into the enemy.

Still, as a piece of computer graphics in its own right its technically impressive.
  • j_bradford
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Looked good, I'm glad they released in-game shots before putting out a pre-rendered trailer. I signed up for the beta tonight and never played any previous version.. I'm with verm in thinking what is so special about it. But a co-worker says it's all about gameplay and that I'll be conviced once I play... we'll see.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Ah comon fellas, there's nothing wrong with appreciating a good piece of CG, it's not like they had microsoft exec in the background saying "this is running real time on a 360, we have achieved the impossible"
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Sure, sure. Don't get me wrong. Im definitely appreciating the artistry and Im not suggesting there's deception going on. All I'm really saying is that it wouldn't make me personally buy the game, since I always need to *see* the actual game itself before purchase. But Im sure it does well at whipping up some hype.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    lol

who ever thought those kids were real needs a special award.

What animator on earth would flex stomach muscles for talking, like real humans do.
  • Ozymandias
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    Great trailer, but it doesn't inspire me to want to play the game, it makes me want the Halo movie.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    cool trailer... NOW GIMME THE GAME ALREADY! laugh.gif
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Great trailer, but it doesn't inspire me to want to play the game, it makes me want the Halo movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta agree. The trailer shows a split second of action, it's a teaser at best, however a damn well done one.
  • skankerzero
    hah! I thought they were real!

though, I tried to convince myself they weren't. frown.gif
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Well shit... could have convinced me either way :P
  • erik!
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck yes. Gimme Halo movie.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    as was said on #MD halo is this generation's duke nukem.

Much love to playing it during a football game. The fact that average joe's/football fans play halo and love it amazes me still. A game with that sort of fan base is just crazy to me.

Sports games are 50% of the game market, and halo is loved by the same people who love sports. Thats one hell of a market to tap into.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    hah! I thought they were real!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I thought the same thing! I just glanced at the lo-res one while at work and thought it was an ad for some shit because the pop up window had advertisement written above it until I saw the helmet. crazy.gif

-caseyjones
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    that was an awesome teaser.

and i saw the pistol! please bring back the pistol frown.gif
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I get the impression that was more to show the world (and potential backers), what the film could look like more than Halo 3. Best part was the run, which was weighty and strong.

Invincibility shields confirmed.
  • Mark Dygert
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks nice and all, but it's not really doing much to sell me on the game. In-game stuff like the GoW and Assassin's Creed videos are what blow wind up my skirt these days.

Anyone have a theory on MC's strategy with the grenade? Throw it into the ground, show off the nifty force field effect, then run directly at the enemy... peculiar tactic indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess ever since Halo2, they all have MC running and jumping into some impossible battle. You shouldn't be picking it apart you should be saying "how is he ever going to survive! OH MAN I GET TO PLAYZ how am I gunna SURVICE!!!11"

Nice mo-cap, nice MC model hopefully Bungie will use it...

Click me I'm the Halo3 trialer... I mean Halo2
  • Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I don't want to nit-pick or anything, but shouldn't the force-field be centered around the force-field grenady thing in the ground and not the MC?

1165288733.jpg
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    The halo wars trailer was much better. This showed me nothing about the game, other than now theres a shield grenade.

Show me an in-game trailer like GoW then i'll be impressed!
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Luxury. You are clearly a noob and do not understand the SCIENCE behind force-field grenady things. They lock on to the signal emanating from your cybernetic Mjolnir-cock and use that as the center.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget that they are great for making fried chicken too. The embonian core of force-field grenade can flash fry a chicken in half a second.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm willing to bet that they're not showing in-game footage in fear of Gears of Wars graphical achievements. Don't want to show anything thats lack luster comparatively.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, first time i saw it I thought he threw a grenade at himself and then absorbed it with his forcefield. I was all
    "What the fuck?" But then Joe explained it was a shield-in-a-can.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    luxury... come on, that's how Crazy Shield Grenades (tm) really work. You know as well as anyone that scifi video games are always 100% realistic and accurate when it comes to reproducing all the those things that really exis--- oh, wait.

trailer was sweet, and I really hope that nade was an indication that maybe bungie is throwing in some new game mechanics for the end of the trilogy.
  • Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit your absolutely right. Dong Shield! Err.... new meaning to Cock-Block.
    halo3grenade.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    It's still a silly concept, though. Why does the Chief even throw the shield grenade, and not just activate it while it's still in his hand? That way he could simply go in, God-mode : )
  • Asmuel
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    As a big Halo1/2 fan the trailer and the grenade thingy make me feel like going out and buying Halo 3, not the grenade thingy itself, but the fact that they are coming up with new and innovative gameplay material. but I gots no 360 yet frown.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    There is in-game footage, actually. It was already stated that the trailer was a CG/in-game hybrid.

After the zoomed-in run sequence, there is a discernible "cut" where it comes in behind the chief at a different angle. From that point on I believe, is game footage. It doesn't look as good as the CG prior to it, so it's a dead giveaway.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There is in-game footage, actually. It was already stated that the trailer was a CG/in-game hybrid.

After the zoomed-in run sequence, there is a discernible "cut" where it comes in behind the chief at a different angle. From that point on I believe, is game footage. It doesn't look as good as the CG prior to it, so it's a dead giveaway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind showing me the quote that it was an in-game/pre-rendered hybrid?

I dont see the big loss in quality in that 3rd person shot that you speak of.

What I do see however, is realistic animation (more likely mocap) that certainly isn't cyclic or looping in any way, very impressive grass, soft edged AND attenuated shadows, really nice materials, sophisticated lighting, self shadowing models, awesome particle/smoke fx and distant stormy clouds and motion blur.

Those are not features that I've seen in the shots released of the game. Just playing my usual role of devils advocate really. Im not buying at all that any of that is realtime, so id be curious to see the quote. I suspect the quote youre referring to is simply the one in which bungie state that DD used some models as a basis.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thing is does it matter? Does halo 3 have to have jaw dropping graphics? Not really, as long as it looks better than halo2 and has the multiplayer that the fans expect it will be a huge hit. The story as most players know is pretty weak but still its strong enough to keep you playing till the end.

I'm looking forward to some halo 3 lan action when it comes out.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I got the quote from Major Nelson a day or so before it aired. Apparently he got the wrong info from bungie and posted it :P
    Looks like he's since posted a newer topic with the correct "live actors and cg" comment.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the shield thing is great ! a bit stupid to throw it off and the center of it to be in the masterchief CROTCH , will he pelvic thrust all his enemies ?? WELL SEE !!!

i like this cinematic.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thing is does it matter? Does halo 3 have to have jaw dropping graphics?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've lost me. I was simply disputing that any of the TV ad was in game. I wasn't making a statement about the game graphically.
  • McIlroy
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thing is does it matter? Does halo 3 have to have jaw dropping graphics? out.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know if that I was heading the Premier internal Microsoft studio I wouldn't want to be GREATLY showed up by a 3rd party studio .. Halo 3 does not even come close to Gears in graphics quality as far as I have seen .
  • Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I've never been much of a Halo fan, but that was an impressive (if somewhat short) trailer. I had to watch it a few times before I understood exactly what happened; I was initially wondering why he would blow up his own warthog crazy.gif.

Hopefully they'll try to introduce some fresh new ideas and flesh out the gameplay a bit more this time around.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    daz i wrote that before i saw your post, The only things i see that could be considered realtime models in that teaser are the brutes and MC when hes running away from the camera but its not as the two indents on the struts for his lights are geometrically indented. Thats something that would in no way be geo in game so points out the fact that its all a hi poly model.
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the new trailer, its not ingame though I think the E3 one was, perhaps thats where the ingame confusion lies.

I don't think Bungie are needing or trying to compete with Gears, seems more like they are continuing to push on with their own style which is the right choice to make.

Whether the lack of ingame stuff shown is representative of them having little to show or that they are not wasting time with demo trailers ingame and instead exporting the trailers externally so as to focus all their efforts toward the demo in spring remains to be seen.

Regardless, I love the mood of both the trailers theyve released though I found their previous documentary stuff pretty stale and thought it tore down the good work of the trailer which ought to have been allowed to stand on its own.

r.
  • PfhorRunner
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm looking forward to some halo 3 lan action when it comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! As well as Ror's thoughts on the mood of the two trailers, im hoping it adds a little bit more depth to the story line this time around...
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15