Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

mockup of lowpoly bf game [early wip]

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ander polycounter lvl 17
joucolorzzz.jpg

Well, the plan is to make a mockup of a lowpoly battlefield styled game. I need a plane, character, gun, 2 boxes, flag, antiair gun, earth and sky! laugh.gif I started with the plane, but hear my advice - do not ever uv-map till 03.00 am. What a mess! Anyway, I need advice, I am going to uv-map my damn plane again and how should I do it? Wings on a seperate uvmap, body on another?

If your wondering about the rocket engine on the back, its my take on alternative history.

Shoot me with critz, advices, thoughts on the mockup (plan)

Ou, and im going to delete the 2 guns and redo them.

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    What do you mean by low-poly exactly? DS/PSP/GP2X low poly?
    In that case you should even further optimize your mesh, as I can see a lot of wasted polygons (or better ones that will not be visible on such a tiny screen anyways).
  • ander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ander polycounter lvl 17
    The wirez! http://www.hot.ee/avilaander/wirez.jpg

Actually, I didnt mean any of them. There has been a crazy idea in my head of a lowpoly multiplayer PC game, that people with older computers could play. Massive battles and minimum lag!

But still, where could i save some polys or put them to better use, by making the plane look even cooler? I thought about some pipes at the body.

And another question - whats the ~tri count for vehicles on unreal tournament '04?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    are you using a specific model of plane for reference?
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Yea, BF used WW2 era planes. The one you have doesn't look like any of those. You also spent a lot of tris on the backwheel (in my opinion).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'll chip in and say that looks NOTHING like a real plane. Do an image search to see what I mean. If you ever get there, I'd be happy to give any tips on real plane design. Just so I don't look like a fool I'll derail your thread with a link to a plane I made smile.gif
    http://www.dadako.com/skillset.3d.php?page=sgwire
  • ander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ander polycounter lvl 17
    Okey, maybe I didn't express myself clear enough. Im not aiming for realism. I didn't use any ref, except my own drawn concept. My plan is to make all look a bit stylized. By battlefield style game I meant players being able to drive or fly different vehicles.

fmnoor: Yeah, im going to redo that.

Anyway, new pictures of the plane will be up in 30 minutes.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you asked for our advice, the general feeling is that it's not really looking like a aerodynamic real plane, make yourself clear in the first post, not your follow up. thumbup.gif

designing your own fantasy plane from the inner workings of your dogs breakfast isn't highly advisable either, get some reference and work from there, you'll soon be on track to some cool looking planes.