Home General Discussion

First Art Test Ever, OMG Feaking Out

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
animeboyz polycounter lvl 17
So after 6 months of Job Hunting and rejection mail, e-mail the impossible happened.

Someone looked at my resume/website/portfolio and decided I should take an art test.

O_O

I am to model a specific player, and make a serv animation in 500 polys or less .... in max

So since is the first test I've EVER had I just had some general questions for you guys.

1. How quick should I do this (I'm in NO way going to slack on this... )

2. Should I just do one animation, one texture, one model variation (I may do him with a headband one without.) Should I try to do something, not over the top, but something a bit styalized?

3. I don't know Max, I know Maya, and they want it submitted in .max format; How big of a problem is this? swampbug came to my school when I was a junior in college and gave a presentation on his entrance into the game industry, and mentioned that when he started he knew Maya but had to learn max, but it did not deter him from getting his job.

so yeah, it's a pretty basic test, and I hope non of you think I'm trying to get you all to baby me through this. This is just something I have never had any professional help/advice on.

Thanks Again Guys.

Replies

• shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    1. How much time can you spare (are you working a job as well?) They would probably prefer to see quailty results than a rushed piece. Definitely give yourself a day or two of rest at the end, and come back for a second pass for polish to help raise the quality even further.

2. Just do what they asked in terms of quantity. Look at the companies previous projects to get an idea of what to do for art style. If it's not stated in the brief, but you still want to know about art direction, then email them a couple of short questions. Doesn't hurt to ask.

3. Some companies care more than others, if they want animation in .max format it might be best to do it in max? I'm not an animator so maybe someone else can help here. max isn't that hard to learn if you are fluent in maya, maybe ask them for a bit of extra time so you can come to grips with max's tools.

Congrats, must be exciting smile.gif
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    [/rant] It's gameloft, Idk about this I getting the feeling this guys a fake but not to sure.

I've done two different tests for them and never got a reply back about it. With so many artist submitting these entries he wouldn't have to model anything he could create a whole team of guys with our models.

I dont know but I have those same test on my portfolio under extra. Granted there not the best but I did what was requested and not to get at least a reply of 'the submitted material isn't what we are currently looking for we will keep ur information online blah, blah. [/rant] END.

As far as the test goes take your time because when I created these I took one to three days the most and submitted. I think max is easier to get used to than maya just my opinion. Other than that create with a full understanding of anatomy double check it then make a nice looking texture. Maybe take a look at other lowpoly artist for mobile phone games and see what they have been submitting.

Enjoy! Hope you get the position.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    these are my thoughts on your questions:

1. a week... take a few days more if you need it, but you need to demonstrate you can do quality work in a timely manner.

2. do what they ask for.... really. if you want to spend more time or do something extra, i'd suggest more animation. a character with or without a headband... not with the effort. example: if they asked for a run cycle... then to expand on that you might show him standing then start running, then come to a stop, then bend over panting out of breath...

3. FBX is going to be your friend... you can use it to get between the two platforms practically seamlessly. you should be able to do all your work in maya, export to .fbx and import into max then save. test this piepline as you work. make sure your work is transferring correctly. fbx supports animation, but you want to make sure its treating you right. ... and yes if you can demonstrate basic 3d skills as an artist, then learning max is just a learning a new tool. most places will give you some time to get up to speed if you can at least claim some familiarity with the tool.

good luck, do your best work, make us all proud,
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Ive never understood the need when going to a company to learn " that companies " software preference. The only way I can see it is if they have special things they do based on program based scripts. Other then that it's all edges,verts,polys..right ?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ive never understood the need when going to a company to learn " that companies " software preference. The only way I can see it is if they have special things they do based on program based scripts. Other then that it's all edges,verts,polys..right ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you have a large company you might have a site licence for a certain piece of sofware. If a new employee comes along and needs a different piece of software that's more money - in the case of maya it's thousands of dollars more money. And companies can be squeamish about you providing your own software because they have no control over maintaining the licence for warez checks and so on.

Also there's something to be said for having a common ground with the other artists. This way if you see someone do a cool technique you can immediately transfer that technique to your work.

And also a lot of companies have custom built exporters and tools for specific 3D packages which would be a hassle to maintain for more than one piece of software.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Ahh it all makes sense now ..thanks smile.gif
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    and don't forget i you get sick or quit your job and you have been working on somethings really important for the next milestone some other artist will have to step in and if he doesn't know your tool your milestone and potentially your company is screwed !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop freakin out and get to work =P
    Like everyone else said, give yourself a week, make sure you are done ahead of schedule so you can give yourself a break then come back to it and touch it up. Make sure your Max knowledge is up to par so you can at least show them you know your poly pushing skills are there and just need a week or two to translate those skills over.

side note:
    Most places get a discount per copy the more copies they buy. I know with Max having a "subscription" gives you perks for new licenses and upgrades. Having to buy just one copy of another package is going to cost more than buying an additional license and more than likely they won't subscribe since its just one copy which means upgrades are no longer free for that package. More than likely they want to use an existing license since you are filling a hole left by someone leaving or they already purchased enough licenses for the number of slots they need to fill.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    quick q: if you are given an art test and you work a full time job (9-5 m-f) how long should it take you to complete an art test (5000 poly char)? Should you let them know about this/when you expect to finish before you start?

GOOD LUCK ANIMEBOYZ ! smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I think that they assume that you have a job or atleast they should.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    the week or so timeframe still stands if you have a real job. you might get a few more days, especially if you discuss it with the folks you are talking to.

However remember that they have their own needs and time frames. right now, you are a potential artist, not much more. it's up to you to impress them that you can do a good job under some sort of deadline and conflicting pressures like, your current job, sleeping... stuff like that.

put on some coffee and work hard. if you don't, someone else will.
  • animeboyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animeboyz polycounter lvl 17
    Yes I do work a part time job, but the week timeframe looks like it's goign to work for me.

I work at a before/after school childcare program caring for kids (... the effects of games on these kids is kind of creepy... Parents who allow their kids play GTA are my bane, but that's another can of worms). Thankfully, the weather was awful today and school was cut short so I have today off, and possibly tommorrow. So I've been working on this since last nights trip to Barne's and Noble run to buy Tennis Magazines.

OH and it's a 5 HUNDRED poly character not 5 thousand. So the modeling isn't too hard, I'm just more concerned with animation and exporting into maya and I'm going to have to take a lot of time on my animation and texture (thank god for google video for reference)

Everyone's words have really motivated me thanks again, I know I'm not super active on the forums, but I think this unexpected art test is what I need to get me off WoW (yes... yes... I know) and into Maya.

I have a friend e-mailing me about helping him getting his characters from maya --> UT 2004, I may ask for his help on maya --> max since during college he did that for our virtual environments project with Blitz3D.

Ok less forum trolling, more working.