Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Environment

Davett29
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Davett29 polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys, I am making an environment right now but, I have a question on the texturing. I was texturing the walls and the ground for my environment. I am wondering if it is too pixelated? I am using high resolution pictures but the wall and the ground is on one 1024x1024 map (top half is the wall that tiles left to right and the bottom half is the ground which tiles left to right). If this were to be in a game like the xbox 360... Should I do the wall on one 1024x1024 map and the ground on another 1024x1024 map to have it look clear even if a character were to come close to it? Here are some test renderings. By the way don't worry about the cracks yet, I didn't unwrap it yet.

test.jpg
This is a quick render with no lights ect.

test2.jpg
This is the wall before I zoom in.

Cam.jpg
When the cam gets this close to the wall.

test3.jpg
It looks like this.

test4.jpg
When it gets even closer....

test5.jpg
The wall looks like this...

Are the textures to pixelated??? It looks too pixelated to me... But how do I fix it?

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm thinking that it is probably an issue with Max's rendering, not the actual texture themselves. You might want to play around with some of the settings in the rendering panel. If that fails, you might want to check out some of the material settings that you're using. It could be that your material has some stretching and/or mipmapping issues. For your purposes, you're going to want to switch off all texture filtering/processing for the 3DS Max renderer. You want the textures to render as unchanged as possible. That will give you a better idea of how they will eventually look in-game.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The texture depth itself is fine. You can experiment with detail textures to reduce the blurriness (smaller, overlay texture using a game engine material).

You may want to cut on texture filtering in max viewport: Customize > Preferences > Configure Driver (bottom of Configure Direct3D window)

Be sure to watch your pixel density, and try to keep them all at the same level.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Another little thing that might help is in the Render Scene panel in the renderer tab, change the filter from area to Catmull-Rom.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You may want to cut on texture filtering in max viewport: Customize > Preferences > Configure Driver (bottom of Configure Direct3D window)

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll have to restart max to see the change.
  • J O T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your texture is fine. It will always lose the detail as you zoom in. As cholden said, most games will have another texture(detail texture) cut in as you get closer to the object.
  • Davett29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the replies. Here are update pics of the environment so far. Critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks.

Room.jpg
    Room2.jpg
    Room3.jpg
    Room4.jpg
    Room5.jpg
    Room6.jpg
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Coming along good wink.gif
    Just a question, are going to make the place more gritty? The walls are definitly pointing towards a more dirty look. Well, if not, I'd like to suggeset you'd take the grittyness of your right door there, a bit of the walls and use it overall. One other thing, could you post a couple of pics showing more of that wall of vents and cables? smile.gif
    Perhaps it'd be nice to see a bit of variation as well, seeing the scribbled door having a bit of focus because of its variation in color; but that's more of a parenthesis.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    just my 2 cents.. why have a seperate room with pipes? Is it a seperate room with a seperate door? Would their be a light in there? If there was a door to get into the same place it makes the hole seem out of place and if there is no door and it's just pipes between the rooms, there probably wouldn't be as much light in there..

Nice room tho.. i'm just one of those asshats that try to see a reason why theres holes in a wall or if it's just put there for no particular reason.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah the random hole in the wall is throwing it off for me too. add a pile of bricks in front of that hole and bust one of those large pipes through it. That would make the hole a little more believable to me.

Just an idea...

Coming along nicely

** Oh yeah maybe add some variation to those crates. Some painted logos, shipping labels. Anything just make them different.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I was about to mention the pipes - they'd not be bricked in like that, or if they were the room they are in would be bigger with access (and the access would likley be in that room).

why is the hole there? If that is decay, then it is too localised in the room. If it was an accident then you want more blast damage.

There would be a trim between the floor and the walls.

Those boxes are blocking up one of those vents - very large vents they are too.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    that and your texturing along the inside of the hole needs work. but other than that and a few proportion problems its coming along good.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    ok so I know you havent gotten down to doing any lighting yet, and I know that this is a busted garage/warehouse/basement interior setting, so maybe this criticism is off-target. but just be aware that every one of your screenshots is pretty much solid 75% grey. If you bring any shot into photoshop and apply a gaussian blur, you dont have to go too far until it's really just grey all over.

just be aware of this as you continue with the scene and ESPECIALLY when you undertake the lighting. You really need to work color and contrast, focal points, pattern, and composition into the scene. Lighting will be an excellent way to accomplish this, but maybe it's worth thinking about reworking your textures too. right now it's just too much grey, too flat, and too drab.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    I don't really believe in the graffitis on the door neither... if some kids, in love with calligraphy would come in a such a place, I doubt they would just spray the door...all the walls would be covered.. ?
    I can't imagine anybody come in this room, close the door, tag it, then leave the room.. doens't make any sense for me.. smile.gif
  • Davett29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great suggestions guys. Keep it coming. I am working on it now.
  • Davett29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I have a little stupid problem. I am trying to make a overlay texture for the walls but, for some reason when I do the alpha channel for my texture in photoshop it won't show up on the max file. The white is suppose to be seen and the black is not seen right? I can't even check the alpha box in the Mono Channel Output. I am forgetting or doing something wrong. Help plz.

By the way, I save the file as a targa file.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Make sure to check 32 bit as you save in Photoshop.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Hi! Nice textures but I have a comment on those bricked pipes if you decide to keep that part as it is. If I am interpreting the images correctly the pipes with horizontal components just go into the wall and discontinue. This negatively affects the believability IMO.
  • Joel Huenink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For one wooden boards cannot be nailed into concrete or brick without a nail gun, and there is already a steel door there, a typical solution is a paddlelock, or if they really wanted to seal a metal door off in a brick building for good, they would weld it shut around the trim or any method is more realistic than wooden boards nailed into a brick wall over a metal door :L

Then your room is just a box. Not the most compelling shape. Some support buttresses or ceiling trim/support would go a long ways to making it look a bit more interesting. A bit green everywhere too. A different colored plain concrete floor might give it some more variety.
  • Davett29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update on the environment. Still working on it. I do not know how to light my scene. Do anyone have any suggestions?

environmentbig.jpg
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin good Davett. For lighting I would try a red service light in with the pipes, an old lamp that's attached the to wall just above the door, and some hanging tube lights in a small array on the ceiling. Be sure to expose the wires in order to jive with the scene's theme. Just some ideas to get you started smile.gif Cheers
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    davett try making some light fixtures and put them in and light it that way? fall off is your best friend.
  • Naked Templar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice...but wall texture should be dirtier...and the bricks pile-up should be crumbled or...something...
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    The graffitti doesn't really match the age of the room. Maybe make it flaking off the walls and faded
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not sure where that dark grime on the top of the wall comes from, since the ceiling seems to be clean. Same with the bottom part and junction with the floor. That dirt looks like dripping of some kind, so I wouldn't expect to see that near the floor and ceiling like that. Maybe make the pipes a little rusty and add a decal under where it gets into the wall and add some dripping rusty dirt there?

Also, it doesn't seem very likely that the concrete would crack like that when a few bricks and a pipe fall onto it. I'd imagine something much heavier would create such damage. And the graffiti look like done in marker, and as such they look too large (compared to what you have on the door), aside from it probably being hard or impossible to write so nicely in markers on such bumpy, unplastered wall. Spray paint would be better choice, methinks, and more believable. Finally, if those planks are nailed into the brick wall (weird thing to do anyhow), then you better put some nails in that texture smile.gif

So just thinking of how and where the details would go, usually adds a whole lot more interest in the process of creating environment, and it should be more enjoyable that way - as you try to figure out where the dirt came from, who could have left that object over there and for what reason, and even make up little stories about history of the place as you go - I'm sure you'll come up with much better and more believable solutions. So keep it up!