Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment - Tower of Belem

Cojax
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Cojax polycounter lvl 10
Hey all. First time posting, long time reader. Thought I would share my latest piece I have started recently. I love ornate, historical architecture, and figured this would be alot of fun to model. I'm modeling this with UnrealEngine 3 in mind, so Iv kinda broken everything up into chunks and such. Let me know what you think so far. Thanks!

belem_WIP02.jpg

Replies

• twebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    twebb polycounter lvl 17
    Very cool. Are those small statue-people on the corners between the balconies? How many polies?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    on first glance it looks cool.

however under critique it seems use an insane amount of polygons and isn't terribly accurate to the original.

welcome to the boards btw smile.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hi CoJax

Welcome to Polycount!

I agree with the above thus far,it looks like there is too many polygons in it for what it is.
    Also your model seems out of proportion to the orginal picture.
    Looks like the tower too short.
    If you look at the top squares on the wall that comes off the tower in the reference they look tobe a good few metre off the bottom line of the windows. Whereas in your image the windows are too low.

The Windows themselves look to be too big in scale when comnpared to the reference image than the rest of the tower,this is the first thing I noticed.

As said the statues look way to many polys for what they are,you should just block them out and use normal/bump maps to bring out the detail on soemthing tahts small.

Im not sure what your intention for this peice is,but soemthing to concider later on is whethere all those polygons are going to be seen? For example the blocks around the second floor of the tower,are you going to be able to get up there? if not,why keep the backfacing polygons when noone is gonna see them ingame?

But thats all optermisation later on,keep going with,its a good start,but you got a way to go yet.

Good luck.

John
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ur nso lucky my home is in portugal ill get you some pics if you want them when i go there !
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    oh u are spanish now! u...u bastard! laugh.gif

well i think the tower is much bigger on real world, so i think u coul fix some proportions.
    U can visit this website http://www.mosteirojeronimos.pt/index_torre.html and for google search try this
    http://images.google.com/images?q=torre+...l=pt-BR&lr=

GL!
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    WoW! Thanks for all the great feedback. I will definitly work on those proportions, still needs some work. As for the statues on the side, the statue of the saint is normal maped (only object that is right now). Im kinda going all out with polys right now, then make low res versons or optimize later on.

Johny - More referance the better, if its not out of your way. =D

More to come. Thanks for the great feedback again!