Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lobster Guy

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Quasar polycounter lvl 19
Another Character for my reel. Currently UV mapped, will be Z-Brushing today. This guy was actually my entry for the 10k Halloween Horror Movie Monster challenge a while ago, but I pretty much rebuilt him grin.gif The model is currently 9598 triangles.

Cheers

LobsterGuy_Thumb.jpg
LobsterGuy_Wire_Thumb.jpg

Replies

• XepptizZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XepptizZ polycounter lvl 17
    Looks funny and yet a bit cool. I'm missing the big pincers, the excessive spikybits and those very long antennasensor thingies wich make lobsters more.....lobstery
  • ||Saker||
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ||Saker|| polycounter lvl 12
    his fingers are very long .... aslo can u tell me the poly count?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm the head reminds me more of a fish, and the arms/leg are pretty reptile like.
    If you call it a amphibious chimeric creature I am fine with that, but it isn't a "Lobster Guy" smile.gif
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    Cool!
    But I also feel it's not quite a "Lobster Guy" because of their are no pinchers. After it is textured it might have a better lobster feel to it.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    I guess the name is deceiving. My original model is a twist on the creature from the black lagoon, which is why the hands are there, but I wasn't really able to figure out a way to blend the armor with the skin so I made him more of a crustacean. I wasn't actually trying to make him look lobster-like, I just barrowed a few elements from them, it's a mix of a few creatures. Anyway, sorry, I should have mentioned this before, the design is final, I don't have any more time to change it so I need to move onto z-brush.

Saker- If you read my post....grin.gif

Thanks for the feedback all. Feel free to point out technical issues as well, if any.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I really dig the model. Nice work!
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the style and concept, so visual side of that work is great, but wire is so "noisy" and there is too much points without define loops, so it could be hard to rig that monster, sometimes, unfortunately, we have to give up some details on low poly model to make it easier for animator, that's why normal maps are the best way for me ^^
    cheers
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it, nice work!

I have to agree with other crits that you could lobster him up a bit. Add pincers, add tiny thin spidery legs hanging down his sides or give him a second set of arms above the ones he has now, the new set could have pincers? I would also thicken up his neck and torso and rotate his pelvis/lower half so it turns his back into a smooth curve with no break in the middle, more like a lobsters back.

Awesome work so far, lots of character!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Wow, that's fucking great!