Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(yet another) Portfolio Pimp for Crit

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
cold constructs

It's extremely difficult to build this thing up while having a day job and social life plus side projects (which includes a HL2 mod and that StarCraft fan-made CG film, among other things). So if anyone would be so kind as to advise me how to maximize the impact of my portfolio, I would be eternally grateful.

More specifically: should I focus on modeling? Do I need to texture my creations? (Bonus question: should I always texture my models before posting them?) Is the banner too busy? As an aspiring 3D artist, what other types of models should I post that would show my skill?

I decided not to put my resume up due to privacy concerns. I'd prefer to simply attach it to emails I send out. DO you think this is ok for potential employers?

PS: The Jack Steam model is out of date--I'll be giving it a real texture this holiday (free time! wooo!!), plus maps for the other game models.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Texture everything. Without textures, your work is appear unfinished.

That high rez model is more of a low poly model with detail treads. I suggest giving it a few more detail passes over the body.

With these side projects you have, you should have a lot more content in your portfolio. Maybe cut back the social life a bit and focus on your career. Once you have the job, you'll have all the time in the world to celebrate (not to mention money).

Why wouldn't you put your resume in your portfolio? It doesn't make any sense.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I like the work you have, but to answer your question, yes you need more textured, and normal mapped pieces. Post your work as you go. Finish the low poly? Post it. Finsh the normal mapping? Post it. Finished with the texture and spec? Post it.

I don't think the banner is too busy, the design of the site is fine, some folks will ask you to make the thumbnails show the whole of each piece but I think they work fine. You seem to be more headed towards the mechanical modeling, which sort of leaves you between characters and environments, I think vehicles compliment either pursuit, but shouldn't be the primary focus, so decide on which one you want to pursue more and start working away at it.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the feedback!

cholden, you're probably right about focusing on getting the career... I just don't want to lose anything I already have--it might not be there when I'm ready again.

I'll just remove the parts of my resume that make me uncomfortable to have public, like my specific location (I forgot what else was there).

I'll work hard this holiday to texture everything and post as I go along--it's rewarding to do so I think smile.gif Thanks for the clarity ebagg!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I like the work you have but textures are the hard part, everyone can model. What I mean by that is companies want people that can model and texture. If you can paint well model all the details and bake it to a texture, use shaders, photos. Look forward to seeing more.

Alex