Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Back to old subjects...

DarthRevanII
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
I've been gone from polycount for a while, but I'm definitely coming back, hopefully to update frequently with stuff im making smile.gif

So, This is probably the third time I've modeled this guy, and it's by far a very severe improvement. For those of you who don't know, this is the Brotherhood of NOD's light infantry from C&C Tiberian Sun
*****----update below

6144 pollies at the moment...still gotta tweak some things and finish as well (exe: feet, backs of some straps, pistol holster on the right thigh, etc etc). I'm also going to re-do the shin armor because i don't like how it looks at all

Crits and Comments are more than welcome, I'd actually like to know what you think of it

Wires will be posted later
Oh and I used my friend Havoc89's model as a reference (front side and back renders)

Replies

• DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    *****----update below

Wires
    Haven't had a chance to optimize the model, so im going to work on that once i finish it...Also realized the top is kinda poly heavy. Granted there is more armor pieces and such on his upper torso, but idk...think its too top heavy?

messing around with the lens effect-glow feature
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/SpartnII/Glow.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/SpartnII/Glow2.jpg
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Hey cool good to see you back!

The top is a little poly heavy, but then again it's the part with the most curvature really. You could probably get rid of a couple of the edgeloops on the helmet towards the center where it becomes flat.

How about making the shoulders a little more broader? Seems a little squished now but that might just be me.

I want to see cool boots!

I'm loving this work though, nice and clean as usual, keep it up! smile.gif
    Also, I like glow2 better than glow.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    Zero, you goofball :P...good to see you again, sir

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey cool good to see you back!

The top is a little poly heavy, but then again it's the part with the most curvature really. You could probably get rid of a couple of the edgeloops on the helmet towards the center where it becomes flat.

How about making the shoulders a little more broader? Seems a little squished now but that might just be me.

I want to see cool boots!

I'm loving this work though, nice and clean as usual, keep it up! smile.gif
    Also, I like glow2 better than glow.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the crits and comments,I'll definitely keep it up wink.gif
    I agree about the edgeloops on the helmet, thats one thing i planned on fixing. Once I optimize it I'm going to focus on taking pollies out of the top half, because as you said, although it's where most of the curvature is, it's significantly higher than the rest of the body, and it bothers me
    Not sure if I agree about the shoulders needing to be broader, but I'll definitely mess with that when I get home tonight and see if it makes a difference (I'll upload a pic after I do that) and I'll let you tell me what you think.

don't worry, feet will be made soon wink.gif
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I love the overal design and details, something about the proportions though is making me think adolescent/teenager rather than fully grown man
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaah...Rooster if you can pinpoint it PLEASE let me know...I've felt something was wrong with it for a bit

I first noticed it as I got the thighs on him (was using an recent player model as a refernce for the legs). They looked too short when I first got them on so i had to lengthen them.

I think the problem stems from the length of the torso and legs, but i don't quite know which, or if both are wrong, and what I need to do about it
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I reckon you should finish off the feet, then mess about with some screengrabs in photoshop to try some different things out- that might be the quickest/easiest way to test the possibilities
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    good call, ill do that when i get home from class (i hate introduction to computers, biggest waste ever)

ill upload it in a bit
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the update...model is basically complete...gotta go back and optimize it...also don't really like how the gun holster looks...i did't want to waste pollies on it and eh...looks too boxy

*****----update below

does he still look teenager...ish?
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    lookin really good, glad to see you postin again! welcome back
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Good to see you posting again buddy, id beef up the thickness of the arms and shrink the head size. Also move the head back.

didn't do the arms but did the rest.
    head is 95% its size and another 95% its width.
    paintdr.jpg
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    well the help of Zero on AIM he helped me fix a few things...not really much of an update...smaller head, new arm position (more natural), new gun pouch, new polycount (6172 from the original 6900)

I'm tired and didn't make the wires with new renders, but here is this

bloop-1.jpg
    bloop2.jpg
    NODSoldierWIRES.jpg
    Render2.jpg
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    definately looking cool man- I had a quick fiddle in ps, see what you reckon- I don't claim to be an expert in this department but I tried to make him feel a bit more powerful.

I lengthend the legs a bit, lowered the arms slightly, raised the head a little and thinned it a tiny bit, and thickened the body slightly-
    suggestion-
    http://www.redprodukt.com/post/suggestion.jpg
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Rooster!...some of the things you did actually do make it look better...I might try and lower the arms and maybe lengthen his legs...I'll try and bring his head up a tiny bit, but in yours it looks too high

also guess I should bring the chest armor up a bit too

thanks for the paintover!
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    took a break from this guy for a sec and decided to make something else that's NOD, what do you think?

Banshee.jpg
    Banshee2.jpg
    Banshee3.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice ship & im liking the NOD trooper.
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    another update...the NOD Harpy
    crits?
    Harpy.jpg
    Harpy2.jpg
    Harpy3.jpg
  • madman
    good stuff, i like the "marine", maybe just bottom parts of the armor should be more massive, like a helmet and ruckzack smile.gif
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, appreciate that
    but whats a ruczack? frown.gif
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    realy like the technical stuff here . especially the copter

on the human model: i think the lower legs lack a bit of a straigter and more "creativ" design.. the upper legs are ok but could be a bit more thicker .. atm the upper body seems a bit too heavy for the feets

btw.. ruckzack (?) should mean rucksack (i guess) an thats what he carries on his back wink.gif
  • madman
    rollin- indeed ^^ my mistake
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    I would just like to update saying that right now, i am druuuunk

more crits please? would be appreciatedd
  • Goober
    Biggest crit is it's hard to see some of this stuff, very low contrast against the black background. I really like the forms on the chopper and other vehicle though, great sense of mass going into them, feel really solid. I feel like the soliders hips aren't wide enough or something, they seem to be bending outwards at the wrong point on the pelvis, anyone else see that?
  • DarthRevanII
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Goober, appreciate the hard critique on certain items as well as comments

I think I see what you mean about his pelvic area...if I see it right, you're saying his pelvis is kinda, too "small?" as in I need to bring the sides of his hips up more?

thanks for the comments about the vehicles,
    And I'll be sure to use grey backgrounds for the rest of my updates, and if need-be, change out the old renders with new one on grey ones for ya