Home General Discussion

CON SPIR AH SEE!!!!!

Ryno
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ryno polycounter lvl 18
It's election day here in the U.S., and I just wanted to be the first to say it. No, I don't have any particular reason to do so, I just wanted to be the first. Mark my words, either the democrats or republicans (whoever loses) will be screaming it in a couple of days.

Make sure to get out and vote today, people!

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    dude its crazy, the new e vote things are having so many problems, people are trying to revote with paper ballots cause they are so f'ed up. is all over the news, and my mom called me and said she felt like she totally messed up her vote.

i cant vote cause i am a convicted felon.

"In Virginia, election officials contacted the
    FBI over complaints about voter intimidation. Jean Jensen, secretary of the Board of Elections, said her office received reports of phone calls apparently encouraging voters to stay home on Election Day. Other calls directed voters to the wrong polling place.

In Kentucky, a poll worker was arrested after allegedly choking a voter and throwing him out of the polling place. The two had argued over a ballot issue. " -AP
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

i cant vote cause i am a convicted felon.

[/ QUOTE ]

but at least you get the chicks !:D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I've heard of odd issues with the electronic machines. Some republicans voted, and their votes got switched to democrat when submitted, and vice/versa.
    Just stick with paper damnit! Less room for error!
    Or better yet, have someone OTHER than 80yr-old grannies in charge of the voting computers!....
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Or better yet, have someone OTHER than 80yr-old grannies in charge of the voting computers!....

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be like changing the fabric of the universe itself
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i see electronic vote as a joke , but i dont believe in voting eheh...yeah i know , if you want to know why P.M me wink.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    is anyone else suddenly very curious as to what felony arsh committed?

(arsh, if its a boring one, make something cool up)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    crazy, yea, arshlevon's mom called me too.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh no its good... I was a terrorist before it was cool to be a terrorist. still have the newspaper clipping from the pensacola news journal

Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening Says Incident A Misunderstanding

A J.M. Tate High School junior arrested Tuesday for making terrorist threats told Pensacola News Journal Thursday that the "writings" that got him arrested are being taken out of context.

Escambia County police say Samuel Sharit, 17, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Sharit's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Sharit told Pensacola News Journal that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Sharit, who faces a first-degree felony terrorist charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Flordia," said Escambia County Police detective Steven Campbell.

Sharit disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention anyone who lives in Escambia County, or anybody i even know exsists, it didn't mention (J.M. Tate High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"
    said Sharit. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, thats crazy."

On Thursday, a judge raised Sharit's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.

Sharit is being held at the Escambia County Detention Center.

...........and so yeah thanks to those Columbine shitheads your not allowed to write a story about zombies, if it has a school in it. i had to learn the hard way
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Arsh... that was seriously you? Haha, I remember reading that in the news and thinking about how flippin retarded the judicial system is.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Man, Arsh I hope you are joking.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i think he is but the incident is real. i think it took place here in Kentucky. i remember reading about it on the Lexington Herald's website.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think he might be tongue.giflaugh.gif
    http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=2989614
    had me for a second though!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i am not joking, but it didnt happen to me. yes it is a TRUE story!! i just searched for crazy felonies and this story came up and replaced my name and high school, and it didnt happen in florida, it happened in kentuky...hahah go figure. i am not a felon but i thought i would drag it out a bit.. but i am an incredible bullshitter.....
    thanks to art school.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    edit: arsh you fucker! you posted while I was posting and made me look stoopid
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    .. but i am an incredible bullshitter.....
    thanks to art school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for truth.

poop.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bwahahaha, man i have wasted this entire day on polycount! this is the first day in years where i have done absolutely nothing... and i love it!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Arsh, your records as a juvenile should be sealed and you should be able to vote. Unless you were tried and convicted as an adult, and most states will only do this for pretty serious crimes such as murder, rape, and bank robbery.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ryno : L O L ing...
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "dude! its fake, i made it all up. its based in fiction. i am not a felon, i dont even know a felon. i just wrote a story about a boy who wrote a story about zombies, that had the same name as me, that i didn't write but found on the internet, but i kind of wrote it cause i replaced some words in it. i think i am being taken out of context. its all a misunderstanding. half the people on polycount know me, and know i am not that stupid!" said arshlevon.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    only stupid people write stories about zombies

also I voted
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Last time i voted we got a presidential plant. frown.gif
  • Todd Dinosaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd Dinosaur polycounter lvl 18
    I voted today in Califoria. I did in on a machine, I had no problem, in and out real fast like. I did have to go over a speed bump in the parking lot; I think it was voter intimidation.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the fuck's the problem here? electronic voting's going wrong? How hard is it: computer with input pen, click desired option on screen, vote gets written to magnetic card, card gets dropped in box. BINGO.

"Just stick with paper damnit! Less room for error!"
    hah. ahaahaha. AAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

heh.
    These things have been in use over here for a while now, and nobody seems to have problems with it. Not that they all use it to vote for the least retarded party, but that's humanity for you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I live in Washington state, we vote by mail I voted days ago. Election day always has me excited, it means they might talk about something else on the radio, TV and interweb.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    machines are simple in theory, just get someone competent to make the bloody things
    http://www.boingboing.net/2006/09/18/diebold_voting_machi.html
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    click desired option on screen, vote gets written to magnetic card, card gets dropped in box. BINGO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean there's a separate magnetic card for every vote that is cast, and then you count the magnetic cards? Diebold Election Systems don't work that way. The votes are all stored locally in the machine, all on the same flash memory card. The machines just spit out the totals, without any objective way to verify the results. They use proprietary software, so the way in which the votes are counted is considered a "trade secret."

I don't like the counting of my vote to be shrouded in secrecy, and I definitely don't like my election being in the hands of a PRIVATE corporation... especially when the CEO of that private corporation made huge campaign contributions to a specific Presidential candidate and then later promised to "deliver" (in his own words) votes to that candidate.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I can't wait to see all the sour pusses at work today laugh.gif
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I watched a special on HBO yesterday where some folks got a couple of coders to take a look at those cards. There is an EXE on the cards to change the data. You can even preset the cards with votes to change the outcome. Set polycount to +10 before hand and cgtalk to -10 before hand and then have 20 people vote . If the voters actualy vote poly count 10 cgtalk 10 the vote comes out poly count 20.

This was a non partisan effort. There not saying its a conspiracy just saying diebold is incompetent.

edit... forgot one thing..

The lady that spearheaded the research found all the voting software and downloaded it from a public FTP site at diebold. They were in hot water and closed the site after a federal review hammered em.

The code was analyzed and TONS of bugs were found!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

downloaded it from a public FTP site at diebold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the part that concerns me more than the bugs. Not that a dedicated hacker can't break the code eventually, but why would they EVER offer up the code and make it easier :/

I'm a big supporter of having an electronic system, but I'm afraid that it will never be a good fit for this society. Someone will try to hack it or the companies that make the equipment are incompetent.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    See, you heard it from me first.

CON SPIR AH SEE!!!!!

(conspiracy)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, well, I'm not jumping on board with any conspiracies, but on the same note, I agree with you... there will be conspiracies.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, I think that most real conspiracies are started at the grass roots level, and not from the top down. Most frequently when someone cries "Conspiracy!", there isn't one to start. The real conspiracy is that citizen's claim that there is one ( a conspiracy, that is). This claim is totally bogus, yet paranoid knee jerkers jump on the bandwagon.

Eventually common citizens begin giving weight to the bogus conspiracy claim. After some time, this undermines the credit of the government (or police, or other organization, or whomever.) So, that organization ends up taking a hit in support, trust, or whatever due to a fabricated claim.

Often times I'd be willing to guess that the claims are politically motivated. Other times, they are just paranoid delusions. I'd group most of the original ones here on Polycount that never gain traction with the public as delusions.

Now, technically paranoid delusions of government manipulation are not really conspiracies by their own merit (the delusions, that is). But if someone with a political agenda pushes them, and continues to spread these unsubstantiated fears and conjectures for political or social purposes, then that should be considered a true conspiracy. So, like I said before...

CON SPIR AH SEE!!!!!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm just glad to see that the dems picked up a BUNCH of seats and that Rummy has announced his loooong over due resignation. The tide is finally changing.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone remember those "White House Insider" posts on some other forum, stating that if the democrats got the house or senate, "A lot of people will be going to jail"? He was basically implying that the republicans currently in office were doing even dirtier stuff than your average political slimeball. Now Palosi is saying that her number one priority is "ethical cleanup" or some such thing.

Things could get really interesting in the next few months.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rummy is stepping down!? Oh sweet irony, maybe the future won't suck... I do feel sorry for Ol' Rumsfeld he was more or less used and abused by the president and stuck by him more out of a sense of loyalty to the US, and self preservation, than to the president. If you listen to some of his press briefings he comes off as pretty arogant but he also doesn't agree with the president but is more restrained and subtle. It is a smart move on Rummys part, gettin' while the gettin's good, because the lynch mobs are heading for the torches, after they get done hanging the drapes. It's sad it took things this long to change course but I'm glad it has happened.
  • AstroZombie
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this election has done anything, it has rejuvenated my faith in people. In my state, the things I was hoping for ALL happened. Not that I like the Governor that we have, but the alternative was much worse. All our proposals went how I hoped also. Things are looking better.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, things are definitely going to get interesting now. I really hope some people go to jail.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rummy is stepping down!? Oh sweet irony, maybe the future won't suck... I do feel sorry for Ol' Rumsfeld he was more or less used and abused by the president and stuck by him more out of a sense of loyalty to the US, and self preservation, than to the president. If you listen to some of his press briefings he comes off as pretty arogant but he also doesn't agree with the president but is more restrained and subtle. It is a smart move on Rummys part, gettin' while the gettin's good, because the lynch mobs are heading for the torches, after they get done hanging the drapes. It's sad it took things this long to change course but I'm glad it has happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not 100% accurate. First of all, Rumsfeld didn't just decide to step down, he was pressured into doing so by Bush and his advisors (i.e. Karl Rove et al) for political reasons. Second, right now isn't when the getting is good; two years ago was when the getting was good.

Also, don't think that Rumsfeld is just some poor sap that was dragged along by the President. Iraq was his pet project: Rumsfeld, Cheney and Wolfowitz all started cooking up this idea (to invade Iraq) back in 1998 (when they were all part of the infamous thinktank "Project for a New American Century"), way before Bush was even considering running. Bush just adopted their ideology to base his presidency on, he didn't come up with it himself.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    That's the part that concerns me more than the bugs. Not that a dedicated hacker can't break the code eventually, but why would they EVER offer up the code and make it easier :/

I'm a big supporter of having an electronic system, but I'm afraid that it will never be a good fit for this society. Someone will try to hack it or the companies that make the equipment are incompetent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Security through obscurity isn't. Hackers will break the system by checking it for "invisible" faults while the legal experts cannot review the security of the system. Keeping the code hidden slows the black hats down a bit and completely stops any legal security reviews. Diebold uses a proprietary third-party OS that can and will have flaws they aren't even aware of and on top of that deliver a piece of software that has not seen any kind of positive independent review. Since voting is a public matter ALL code running on a voting machine must be a public matter. That means the entire code running on the hardware must be published and Diebold must guarantee that that code is exactly what is running on these machines. The opportunity and incentive for abuse is just too great to be acceptable. Diebold must be kept in check and should be held in contempt ever since that statement from their CEO which a person in his position SHOULD NEVER MAKE. The whole system MUST be reviewed by multiple groups of independent reviewers.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    How about this conspiracy theory?
    The Republicans wanted to lose. A Democratic congress won't be able to do much without a two-thirds majority, we'll have two more years of gridlock, Dems will get the blame, and the GOP will sweep in '08 for a fresh start. -HA!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Republicans wanted to lose. A Democratic congress won't be able to do much without a two-thirds majority, we'll have two more years of gridlock, Dems will get the blame, and the GOP will sweep in '08 for a fresh start. -HA!

[/ QUOTE ]

ooo.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They joked about that on The Daily Show and The Colbert Report last night.

[ QUOTE ]
    Jon Stewart: So, how are the Democrats reacting to their victory?
    Correspondent: Well Jon, they're terrified. They're affraid they played right into Karl Rove's hand. In this campaign, they didn't put forth a single coherent position, they have no vision for the future, and the only democrat to get any TV time used it to call US troops "retarded." And yet, somehow, they delivered a crushing defeat to the ruling party. Something's not right Jon... it's a trap!

[/ QUOTE ]
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I just wish a hacker would rig an election in a really obvious and silly way to highlight the security issues on these machines,like having Mickey Mouse win as a write in canidate or something.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't worry about it too much because the Dem excuse for grid lock can be;
    "look we could do more if we had more of our own people here, the gridlock is coming from the remaining regime. We need to fully clean house if we want to get anything done. We tried to work with them but they are just bitter old cranks that are holding out. The Repub's won't let us get anything done!!!"

So the Dem's could actually do nothing as part of their plan to oust the rest of the Repub's. I'm happy that stem Cell research will finally move forward and that the one industry that was going to carry America has had one hell of a religious right road block removed. It's too bad other countries already picked up the ball and ran with it =/
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad the legislature is now Democratic - an end to lunacy is in sight. The previous Congress did pass legislation on stem cell research however, which a certain monkey promised to and did veto based on his religious values. I look forward to a time when we have a chief that will make decisions based on the will of the country rather than his own short-sighted goals. Alot of people don't get that we don't pay people run the store based on what THEY want. We pay them to run it based on what WE want. In following the fathers of the country, the way I see it religion has no place whatsoever in government. Certain prominent religions believe the world is going to end anyway so who cares what we leave to our descendants?

There are so many people that use "In God We Trust" on currency as an argument to illustrate what the founders intended. Despite the fact that this isn't even an argument but an opinion, I explain to them that currency didn't carry this until the 20th century but by that time they've moved on to some other regurgitated litany. It's a shame so many people are force-fed horseshit.

/rant eol
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    your soo lucky we wont even get a chance to boot our leader in the balls