Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A piece of handgun

I dont think I have modelled a gun since 3 years ago so I just wanted to try again..... Anyway, the pc is 5855 and I think its to high for lowpoly and to low for a highpoly.It was just for practice.
C&C please.
glockou2.jpg
pickadollwire1qs7.jpg
pickadollwire2hb7.jpg

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have a picture of the gun it was modeled after so we can make comparissons? Without that all I can say is the grip looks a bit funny. That and the wire frams are confusing.

To get a better wireframe (I'm assuming you're using Max):
    1)Duplicate your model as an instance.
    2)Apply a push modifier, with a low value, to the new model instance.
    3)Create a wireframe material, and apply it to the instance.
    4)If the wireframe looks like its intersecting with the original model, go into the instances push modifier and increase it until it looks good. Otherwise skip this step.
    5)Render using Catmull-Rom.

There you go, nice crisp wireframes.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do you have a picture of the gun it was modeled after so we can make comparissons? Without that all I can say is the grip looks a bit funny. That and the wire frams are confusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Glock... I can't say exactly what model, because I'd have to know the caliber, but it looks like a fullsize Glock (there are fullsize, compact and subcompact models, and the different calibers of each model-type look virtually the same).

http://www.waffennoser.ch/img/glock_17_19_26.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]

To get a better wireframe (I'm assuming you're using Max):
    1)Duplicate your model as an instance.
    2)Apply a push modifier, with a low value, to the new model instance.
    3)Create a wireframe material, and apply it to the instance.
    4)If the wireframe looks like its intersecting with the original model, go into the instances push modifier and increase it until it looks good. Otherwise skip this step.
    5)Render using Catmull-Rom.

There you go, nice crisp wireframes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why people do this when you can just drop a white material on the model, change the object color (the random colors objects default to) to black, deselect the mesh, and press print screen.

Your way works for renders but I can't think of any instance where you'd want to put your wireframe on top of all sorts of fancy rendered effects.