Home General Discussion

Ubuntu 6.10 out!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Get it now wink.gif

I am currently using it in the Kubuntu flavour (KDE) as my major OS and couldn't he happier laugh.gif

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    So is slackware 11.0. =D

Also, Ubuntu replaced init with XML and crap. Not too sure how fond I am of that. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInit
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know hardley anything about linux, but is there a way to use windows based software on it?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    You can try to do some things with Wine, skanker, but it all really depends on what, exactly you are trying to run. The other option is VMware which runs a virtual Windows machine inside linux. JK prolly has some good ideas as well, as I don't usually try to run much windows stuff in Linux
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    You could also set up a win95/98/ME/2000/XP box in Qemu, though the kqemu accellerator module only works on 2000 / XP (gives 9x protection faults)
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know hardley anything about linux, but is there a way to use windows based software on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to? tongue.gif There is much better software available for Linux! (and most of it is free too)

But WINE (a compatibility layer) works pretty well these days for many programs, and with the new virtualisation software (like Xen) and hardware (like Vanderpool) you can run Windows and Linux simultaniously nativly with very little performance loss (but than again who would want that? wink.gif ).
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    FreeBSD 6.2 should be out soon.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, most programs should run on WINE now. I've been using this version of Ubuntu for a couple weeks now. I have a media PC connected to a projector, and the beryl/XGL is fun on a 100" screen smile.gif My kids love spinning the desktop and making shit wobble.

The next version is already beginning and their concentration is supposed to be hardware recognition now. This to me will be a huge/necessary step. That (IMO) is the one huge step Windows still has on them. You can boot XP and it finds just about anything. If it doesn't, then it doesn't take much to fix it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to? tongue.gif There is much better software available for Linux! (and most of it is free too)

But WINE (a compatibility layer) works pretty well these days for many programs, and with the new virtualisation software (like Xen) and hardware (like Vanderpool) you can run Windows and Linux simultaniously nativly with very little performance loss (but than again who would want that? wink.gif ).

[/ QUOTE ]

mudbox, zbrush, max, modo, photoshop..... oh yes, i'm sure linux has much better options for all of these programs. =D
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

mudbox, zbrush, max, modo, photoshop..... oh yes, i'm sure linux has much better options for all of these programs. =D

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost, yes; Except for those sculpting programms (and the sculpting plugin in Blender is really advancing quickly and is quite useable already).

max -> Maya, Xsi, Blender etc
    modo -> not sure I guess Wings3D... what is so great about modo anyway?
    Photoshop -> GIMP, Krita and Photoshop runs REALLY well with WINE. And for vektorgraphics it is even better with XaraXtreme and Inkskape availabe.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka, your overstating your case. It still takes tweaking and libraries that have to be updated constantly to get those emulators and such to work correctly.

Linux and BSD are still more a tweakers OS than mainstream public. Most of us want to sit down and work right away. Not spend half a day setting up options via text files and command prompts and then having to do excess searching for particulars on your own hardware setup. Oh, and then rebuilding your kernel.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    JK: GIMP is one of the biggest pieces of shit i've ever had the displeasure of using. I had to use it in place of photoshop for a web design class for a while, and I almost shot myself in the head because it was so bad. There really aren't any good alternatives to some software, which makes Linux a pain in the ass to use. for 99% of people windows makes more sense. it just works, you dont have to douche around with WINE or packages or anything to install a program, it's simple, stable, and effective.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    JKMakowka, your overstating your case. It still takes tweaking and libraries that have to be updated constantly to get those emulators and such to work correctly.

Linux and BSD are still more a tweakers OS than mainstream public. Most of us want to sit down and work right away. Not spend half a day setting up options via text files and command prompts and then having to do excess searching for particulars on your own hardware setup. Oh, and then rebuilding your kernel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was a thread about Ubuntu, not about a really old not-modern Linux distro! Are you forgetting the package system?

[ QUOTE ]
    JK: GIMP is one of the biggest pieces of shit i've ever had the displeasure of using. I had to use it in place of photoshop for a web design class for a while, and I almost shot myself in the head because it was so bad. There really aren't any good alternatives to some software, which makes Linux a pain in the ass to use. for 99% of people windows makes more sense. it just works, you dont have to douche around with WINE or packages or anything to install a program, it's simple, stable, and effective.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Beats paying $600 or so for something similar in function.

Have you checked out Krita? A bit simpler, but it doesn't toss its windows all over the place and among your task bar.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have used Ubuntu Cheap. It still needs tweakage.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which version of Ubuntu though? Every version has moved in leaps(Linux-wise) to be honest.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wine has really gotten a lot better lately... using Photoshop with Linux really isn't all that different to using it with Windows. And installing Wine really is a one click job nowadays in Ubuntu, no tweaking needed.

About GIMP: It is arguably a bit annoying to use sometimes, but you can get used to it, and for really almost all tasks Krita is a worthy alternative, that has a Interface close to Photoshop.

P.S.: I have been using Linux for almost two years now as my major OS and I have never even once rebuild my kernel tongue.gif
    The only real reason why I ever boot into Windows is to play a few games that don't work on Linux.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The only reason I don't switch 100% to linux is Photoshop, Max, and Ableton Live. If only there were native linux versions of all of them... :'(
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd rather spend my time making art using an OS that works when I turn it on than mucking around with something trying to duct tape kernels together. JKM if that's your passion cool for you buddy but I don't want to mess around with it =/
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The adept update manager does all that for you.

I see no matter how easy ubuntu makes it, anything that's not windows or mac gives a "too techy no thanks" impression anyway
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boy... where did you get the impression I was forcing you to try it?
    I simply said a new version is out and that it really is a lot easier than most people think (to a point where I would say it really is more user friendly than Windows for many things), so one might give it a try if time allows.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do me a favour. Use the 64bit Kubuntu, and try to get it to work within an hour.
    I hope they fixed it for this version, but ALL dependencies were broken, and it needed A LOT OF TWEAKING to fix.
    Say what you will, but Linux is not as easy to use as windows (yet). Add to that the douchebag attitude of a great deal of it's users concerning ease-of-use, (namely: 'if you can't learn to use an os, you don't deserve to use it!') and i officially give right the fuck up.

and the gimp is a horrid piece of shit.

You're simply being a rabid fanboy, which gets to be really annoying, really fast.
    I'm very interested in all the developments in this area, i check out new releases by blender, wings3d, inkscape, and every audio-program that sounds appealing, but you can't just state that it's 'easier to use', because it really isn't. Packages are nice, for sure, but once you want something that's not in there, you're fucked if you don't know what you need to do. There are extra repo's you can enable through editing a textfile (or if your packagamanager allows it: just enable it in there), but even then i couldn't find everything i wanted.
    Personally i like the Win or MacOS ways a damned lot more, and any attempts to replicate these for linux have seemingly been boycotted, or possibly ignored because they never reached completion.
    Not to mention there being no trace of mp3-support in the last ubuntu, while i believe i've read that there would be. Enabling that's fun, you know? You ask a question, and you get lectured on the evils of mp3, rather than getting help.
    I wouldn't mind using ogg, but i'd much rather not go through the hassle of enabling quicktime to play it (for use in firefox), or using quick alternative (because the streaming is shit)

in short: thanks for telling us 6.10 is out.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only reason I don't switch 100% to linux is Photoshop, Max, and Ableton Live. If only there were native linux versions of all of them... :'(

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you use live for it's looping technology (and repitching), you might want to take a look at energy-xt (xt-hq.com), which is being rebuilt from the ground up for 2.0, for windows and linux. I don't see myself switching after that either though, since i'd have to go through the hassle of making my vst's compatible through emulation or whatever.
    Still, it's cool to see linux getting a decent sequencer, and a rather complete one at that.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about the linux snob-boys. I found them really irritating in the beginning also. They aren't doing a damn thing to help the community.

I only worked with the Kubuntu version once(6.06) and I found it missing features that the regular Ubuntu had. I used to use KDE on other distros, but for some reason, I don't care for it in Ubuntu. I quickly changed back to the GNOME desktop.

When I think of easier, I think of Ubuntu being easier than previous versions of Linux. I've been trying it for years and it wasn't until Ubuntu came out, that I decided to use it more often. I do think it's good enough now to be a Windows replacement for MOST general users. Not the uber leet users, but for people that use the computer for simple things like browsing the net, checking email, and occasionally using a word processing program.

And yes, I think Gimp sucks also. WINE has improved greatly though and Photoshop can be ran in linux pretty well (so I'm told).
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do me a favour. Use the 64bit Kubuntu, and try to get it to work within an hour.
    I hope they fixed it for this version, but ALL dependencies were broken, and it needed A LOT OF TWEAKING to fix.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok, might be the case, but how many users are already useing 64bit PCs?

[ QUOTE ]
    Say what you will, but Linux is not as easy to use as windows (yet). Add to that the douchebag attitude of a great deal of it's users concerning ease-of-use, (namely: 'if you can't learn to use an os, you don't deserve to use it!') and i officially give right the fuck up. [...]
    You're simply being a rabid fanboy, which gets to be really annoying, really fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure there are many of them and they suck, but it sometimes goes both ways too, like when you have a question like mp3 support that has a easy and well explained answer in the wiki, don't be too surprised if you get stupid answers just to mock you.
    Oh and I think I am beeing wrongly accused as a Linuxfanboy here, as I simply stated the fact that is is released and answered some questions and wrong perceptions about it. Anyway I am no where near a real Linux fanboy, I think wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm very interested in all the developments in this area, i check out new releases by blender, wings3d, inkscape, and every audio-program that sounds appealing, but you can't just state that it's 'easier to use', because it really isn't. Packages are nice, for sure, but once you want something that's not in there, you're fucked if you don't know what you need to do. There are extra repo's you can enable through editing a textfile (or if your packagamanager allows it: just enable it in there), but even then i couldn't find everything i wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure but very close to everything, and unzipping a binary in your homedirectory isn't really that hard either. There are cases of course where there is only source code available and that can be tricky to get working, but the reality is that these are really developer only releases, that wouldn't even be available if it were windows programs.

[ QUOTE ]
    Personally i like the Win or MacOS ways a damned lot more, and any attempts to replicate these for linux have seemingly been boycotted, or possibly ignored because they never reached completion.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm I think KDE is very close to Windows, so what are you missing there? And Mac like behavior can be added too, but that needs some extra programs.

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to mention there being no trace of mp3-support in the last ubuntu, while i believe i've read that there would be. Enabling that's fun, you know? You ask a question, and you get lectured on the evils of mp3, rather than getting help.[...]

[/ QUOTE ]
    See above. And the missing MP3 support really is a legal problem, because the mp3 licence forces you to pay for every copy, which simply isn't possible for a freely dowloadable system.
    Oh and in the newest version of Ubuntu it asks if it should install mp3 support automaticly when you start a mp3 file the first time (if you are using the AmaroK player).

[ QUOTE ]
    in short: thanks for telling us 6.10 is out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I apreciate your view, which is certainly founded in some first hand experience and really a valid viewpoint smile.gif
    I hope my response to these isn't understood as critizism, but simply as a honest response to the issues you mentioned.