Home General Discussion

video card woes

ok, deal is, my roommate got himself a fancy new video card:
ATI Radeon X1300 (PCI)
256mb DDR2
Core: 450 MHz

....and it won't work. When we plug his monitor in the video card, the screen is black. Nothin'. Sometimes it's black when plugged into the default input (the on-board). He's installed all of the proper drivers (I think). He disabled the on-board 3d accelarator, however, the new video card says there are not enough resources it to function. What resources? He's got over 512Mb of RAM (PC3200 I think...?). Is it a power thing? If it makes any difference, he's got one of those skinny Dell desktops that can be laid on it's side, with a PCI extension thing plugged into the mobo. That's the only place the video card will fit.

Replies

• PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like power to me. Either that or his bios has the slot switched off...

just plain PCI or PCI-Express? There's quite a difference, and I looked around and there's both released for the Radeon X1300...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    someone making graphics cards on standard pci still, are you serious?
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was leaning towards a power problem. Hmmm, looks like he might have to spend more money.

Yeah, PCI, I know. I recommeded he just get a new comp, but he was impatient. we'll see what happens now.

mucho thanks.
  • FightingChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FightingChance polycounter lvl 17
    Hm. In the BIOS the first video device needs to be set to PCI instead of onboard, but it sounds like that's been done already. What kind of monitor is it? And is this over an analog or digital connection?
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    "with a PCI extension thing plugged into the mobo"

This might be a factor too. If nothing else, try making sure all the connectors are clean, and reseat the card a couple times just to make sure its all the way in and all the way connected.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, don't exactly know what happened, but apparently the card works now. he said he simply plugged in the monitor, left it alone for a while and everything started working. He was playing WoW on high settings in no time... meh. Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, sounds like that one time I tried to install a new gpu on my brothers pc, that showed the exact same problem, just a black screen, even though I did everything right...
    I was close to going insane when my brother just happend to remember that the monitor had a slight loose connection in the cable confused.gifmad.gif