Home General Discussion

Starsiege 2845: Alpha Tech Release

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
Been a long time coming but the mod turned indie game project Ive been working on for about 3 years finally has something to release. Its an alpha, meaning feature incomplete, quite likely buggy, and not even on the same engine (torque vs tse) as the final, but its out and playable. smile.gif

currently exclusive to filefront http://www.filefront.com/
Download and have fun.
Most everthing I've done for the project didn't make it into this mini release, but there is One herc (mecha), the goad, that is mine.
Edit: Thanks asir.. what a thing to slip my mind
project site is [url="HTTP://www.starsiege2845.com"]HTTP://www.starsiege2845.com[/url]

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Woo!

Congrats man, thought the day would never come. heh. Definately grabbing this. [and not just to see my stuff running around tongue.gif]
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'd forgotten all about this... Gonna give it a try tomorrow. Always looked like a real awesome project with a ton of talented people.

You should post a link to the game's site btw.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    From your website:
    [ QUOTE ]
    If Clancore is a volunteer organization, will anyone make any profit off of Starsiege: 2845? The multiplayer portion of the game will be distributed for free; there will be no profit involved. Upon completion, the singleplayer campaign will be turned over to Vivendi Universal, who will have full discretion regarding pricing, and methods of distribution. Clancore, however, will not be compensated if VU decides to attach a fee to the singleplayer campaign.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really agreed to that??? Sounds like the worst deal ever frown.gif

Anyways, it looks quite cool. Are there any plans to support Linux (and/or Macs)? Should be easy to do since the Tribes engine supports both AFAIK.
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    it's using the wrong type of graphic engine for this time.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That's what is delaying us at RenWerx. We chose to transiton to TSE and it hasn't been smooth. I don't blame you guys for continuing with TGE for now. Congrats
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    The engine is fine, they have been developing this for years. You don't just switch engines mid development if you want something to actually be finished.

Amazing work, I'm seriously glad to see this coming to fruition.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    wow i commend your effort . . starsiege was the best online mech experience bar none, at least for me..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The engine is fine, they have been developing this for years. You don't just switch engines mid development if you want something to actually be finished.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That was part of my point... switching would have added even more time to a project that had already been extended. I know several of the guys on that crew and I'm glad to see their group progressing.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Well, I guess it's the Torque engine's fault, but this seriously just feels like a mod of tribes 2. Player movement, FOV, game types and vehicle mechanics all feel very much the same. It left me a bit bored after 2 maps.

But it is still a great effort by the team. I'm looking forward to more single player content.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, and frankly switching from TGE to TSE is the least of our worries. I mean we started looking at battlefield 3 years ago, then promptly changed to UT2k4, which was then going to port to Tribes:Vengeance as part of our original agreement with Sierra/VU, but that didn't work since T:V was changed so much from UT2k4, and more importantly didn't sell or hold its community well, so we renegotiated to produce a standalone game rather than a mod.
    And yes we did agree to not make profit off this. Its along the lines of "Hey We want to use your IP and make a game! Course we can't pay you for IP rights, or distribution, or anything else, but we really like the IP and don't want it to die." So frankly a non commercial agreement for free use of a large companies still current IP is rather fair as I understand these things.

Linux very well may get a port. Mac isn't likely. All depends on how the TSE conversion goes. Even if we didn't switch we'd have to do some major re-writes of parts of the render pipeline to improve object occlusion, a better LOD system etc, to improve performance to the point where we really want it. Even still migrating to TSE shouldn't be horridly difficult.

And I can't state it enough, but please remember this is a pre-beta version of this game, so bugs are to be expected, and the performance isn't optimized. We are really pushing Torque to its limits with a lot of our content, as it was developed for UT2k4 (or an equivelant) in terms of texture size and polycount.

Thanks for your support.

Edit: as far as it feeling like a T2 mod, well yes part of that is torque, but the bigger part is that this is FAR from finished.
    A brief comparison of features between the ATR and final release:
    Alpha Tech Release

* Engine: TGE (the engine with which Tribes 2 was produced)
    * 3 HERCs
    * 1 Flyer
    * 1 Support vehicle
    * 5 infantry weapons
    * 12 HERC/vehicle weapons
    * CTF/TDM gametype
    * Pre-loaded HERC configurations

Final Multiplayer

* Engine: TSE (next generation of TGE)
    * 19 HERCs
    * 6 Flyers
    * 4 Support vehicles
    * 9 Tanks
    * 2 SCARABs (Infantry Heavy Armor)
    * 15 SCARAB weapons
    * 28 Infantry weapons
    * 39 HERC/vehicle weapons
    * Completely customizable HERC configurations
    * 8 gametypes
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grats dude! It's always good to see something you're working on hit a major milestone in development. The screenshots I've seen look promising, downloading now, look forward to playing it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys, and frankly switching from TGE to TSE is the least of our worries. I mean we started looking at battlefield 3 years ago, then promptly changed to UT2k4, which was then going to port to Tribes:Vengeance as part of our original agreement with Sierra/VU, but that didn't work since T:V was changed so much from UT2k4, and more importantly didn't sell or hold its community well, so we renegotiated to produce a standalone game rather than a mod.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Me and the other TAC devs went through this same route. It was difficult to determine a different engine when your target audience doesn't like many of those other games.... atleast consistantly.
    We really did want to make something on T:V, but Sierra just dropped the ball too much on that game. I was one of the strongest voices against what they were doing with that game in the beta stages, but the kept telling me 'don't worry, you need to trust us'. Hopefully they finally realize what I was getting at. The hardest thing for us was the lack of modibility.

Anyways, I need to stay off my soap box. I know some of the guys in your texture group from the old skinners guild days. I've been rooting for you guys for a while now wink.gif