Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my free webspace

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
this is thanks to rick-stirling whos tutorial inspired me.

comment on it aint finished.

here it is

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The watermark is large and distracting on the images.

The use of pages thus using WP as a CMS is good - but do you need the comments section?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I cant find any contact information.

Also, you might want to try using one of the built-in styled themes until you get your custom css in place.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool, but you need clickable images right from the start... I clicked on that tiki mask icon, was taken to photobucket, gave up...

Also, what exactly is a 'blogroll'? I'd say avoid web2.0 geek talk as much as possible, your target is ADs and artists, not hyped kids! Same thing on the comments and other clickable blogish things - turn them off as much as you can!

Can't wait to see all your recent works on display there!
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, ditch that front page link to photobucket.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I know you're going for simplistic, but there could still be some sort of art in your design. Right now this is coming off as a word doc saved as an html file. Additionally, and probably the worst of worsts, cgchat is linked before polycount...ahem :]

I normally assume that basic html is in everyone's library of knowledge, but I understand the majority of people don't spend the time getting to know it. I'd say head on over the something like www.htmlgoodies.com and check out some of their tutorials/code snippets.
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    I would atleast put a couple of pieces of art right up front, so people are encouraged to look at more stuff. I don't think having any type of art in your design is really needed, just show your art, the html is secondary.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with having something on the front page. Right now I find the site very uninteresting/uninviting. IMO white with black text is hard to look at.

I think you can still leave it simple, but add in some of your work on each page or make a header image with a collage of your work.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    cool cool... all good

there is actually a theme in there, just a mega simple one that i was gonna edit but until i do i will change.

prior good call on the blogroll, i dont know what it means either, quick investigate and its just a links page really... will change.

will redo the water mark.

oh and prior will try to get a linkable image front end when i figure out how to do it. html aint my first language by a very long way.

ps didnt realise that image linked to photobucket hmmmm.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well yeah as Geezus said, basic html is very simple to learn - its just that it gets lost between both the new 'improved' html as CSS + other useful goodies, and fast html solutions like blogs and all.

When I first started I love Lissa Explains It All http://www.lissaexplains.com

It was not completely coherent back when I used it but it started from zero in a steb by step manner, always nice!

I'm sure youll make somethig great out of your page. Now we are watching!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    right ive given it a bit of an overhaul try it and see what you think. web page

thanks for the link prior, its already been a load of help.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Why do you have 14 page sections linked at the top when they are all visualized as thumbnails on the page AND in that little "pages" box on every page? You've also go your home page listed twice in there.

I'd get rid of those little pages boxes on each page, they are cluttered clutter. Change "home" to "portfolio" and get rid of all the other links in the main menu besides CV, Links and Leave a message.

edit: whoa, is everything changing as I wrote this? it looks all over the place now.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah editing the template as we speak, sorry if that made you question your reality =D

changing home to portfolio as we speak unfortunatly i dont think i can edit which pages are displayed =Z ill see what i can do.

it should have settled down a bit now.
  • fogmann
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Shepeiro, if you have access to theme editor and can change all the template tags and CSS, I'd suggest looking at some existing themes whose layout you like and trying to copy that to your theme. I used WP for over a year and I modified it about 4 times now, so if you get stuck, I hope I can help. You should be able to create sub-pages, and you also have ability to have them not show, but rather to list them on parent pages. For example, you can have page for Resume/CV, for projects, for Contact and that's it, and then have subpages for your individual projects. I did something like that with subpages. If you look at http://fogmann.com/foglog/ - those links on the top below the header are page links.

As for your watermark, I think you would be better off to put your name and email on your images instead of a logo, as that way when someone saves your image off the net will have means to contact you with some juicy offer smile.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    gonna try sorting the pages out now. see if that helps some
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    some quick changes...

theme
    page stucture
    got rid of image links to photobucket

any complaints =P

think i will use this look till i get a good enough grasp of CCS to fuck it up, i mean make it cool
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better... although it appears that half of your right menu is off by one space, but that's a small nit-pick.

Edit: Your high poly cars (Actually, all pages) gets borked with the menu in IE7. I haven't verified in another browser.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    what do you mean borked (i know generally but a less generalized term may help me =D). all seams fine to me (IE)

the menus are off to the left by one space as they are sub menu of portfolio page
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok... the menu wasn't offset enough to stand out enough as a sub menu. Again, I'm using IE7, which is in beta, so I'm always cautious about stating problems.

What I mean by borked is, the images are showing up larger than the space you proved for the main content (the gray area in the center). So the image appears under the menu. I'll get a screenie and post it for you.

Edit: Here you go -

[img]http://www.tacmod.com/images/notman/Messy Menu.jpg[/img]
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers that'll be cool,

if any one else gets the same prob please tell so i can see if its a big prob.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh, the menus at the bottom with current IE, i dont think i can fix this without access and good knoledge of CSS, not sure what to do??????

check out the video on the porco page is it embedded correctly on your machines
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    It was doing it in Firefox also actually... I checked after posting the image. I can look at the code for you, but one thing that you can do is make a smaller image to click into a larger one like you did on your front page. I'm guessing your code is implimenting a IE only supported command though.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    my heads hurting, gonna look at it tommorrow when i can spell
  • fogmann
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Happens in Opera and Firefox also. I'd be surprised if that doesn't happen in another browser, cause I had the same problem before, and seen it happening on Nucleus blog as well. I think it's just because of absolute positioning or widths in CSS which can then cause one element to draw on top of the other. Try changing the style that determines the width of your content box, and giving some more pixels for width to fit your images in. Or make images smaller. Or get rid of that inner box, it's really small to fit any content but thumbs in it. Or try to move the menu somewhere else, maybe all the way to the left.

Maybe something like this?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be happy to take a look at it for ya. Mail me.

What I suggest is simply having 2 templates, one with the side menu and one without.

Or do you ever need the sidebar?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    The following may depend on whether you want a blog or a portfolio. Also, if you are using the free hosting you won't be able to edit the templates, so you'll not be able to drop the sidebar.

In the top menu, drop the 'Home' link - thats handled by your title and everyone knows the title links to the front page. Don't they?

Drop 'Leave me a message' - thats what email is for, unless you want comments on your posts.

Links? Do you want links from a portfolio? I'd bin them.

Portfolio. Thats the same link as 'Home' Drop it, maybe drop 'Home' and replace it with portfolio.

That leaves you top menu as 'Portfolio' 'CV' 'A little bit about me'. 'ALBAM' is very ladiback - again, is this a job seeking portfolio? 'About Me' or even 'Biography' might read better.

The side menu? Bin it. You've accomplished it in your thumbnails anyway.

Comments are closed? Good idea - but don't even bother to tell peple that - just ditch the comment code from the template.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the tips, i havent invested the fifteen dollars yet to edit the templates =Z but its already bearing fruits, which im pretty damn excited about. so ill look at it when ive got time. ill do the other bits that i can now.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    aaagh im getting probs now, the link to wordpress seams to cut straight through the middle of some of the pages =Z
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    it should be more stable now and ive updated some of it, please check it =)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    It definitely works better wink.gif

I'm still not a big fan of the layout, but that isn't what you are really displaying, so I'd leave it smile.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    small update, i added a 2d section, and you can download a desktop if you so desire

here
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO i love how that tank game is looking=)
    very cool i think.
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that's the best portfolio setup i've ever seen, and kudos to Rick Stirling for the inspiration.