Home General Discussion

Help with CITY OF VILLAINS update problems

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
I just got city of villains, right?
I install it...
everything goes fine, until i boot the game up. It gives me the updater, and it's going to take 30+ hours to update.
What the hell?
I have a pretty fast connection, 100mb/s (i think that's fast, right?)
But the stupid downloader is only downloading at 4.1k a second.
I don't fucking get it. Is there a way to make it go faster? Can I get the patch somewhere else? Please help? I want to play the game before the time I bought for it runs out, dammit.

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Did you leave it up for more than 15 seconds? The 30+ hrs is just an estimate.

The only thing I can think that might be slowing oyu down would be some kind of firewall setting that is hassling your download speeds through whatever port it is updating from.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    If you bought an "older" version of the game, the first patch run is going to be killer. It's huge and the install time is long.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps the server is loaded? Just leave it open and wait.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are they doing some crappy Peer-2-Peer patch distribution? I know Blizzard uses a torent like system which is wildly popular with everyone but the players. If your network isn't set up to share they choke off your download. Also if its an old patch and very few people are using the downloader to share the patch you could be pulling it from someone with a horrible connection.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No. The CoH/CoV updater uses their own server for patch distribution. So if there are alot of people updating the game (which could be possible, I think there is a free week type thing going on soon) it can cause the downloads to be slower.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    hmm i just run coh/CoV yesterday and it patched 300MB at 400kb/s ...really fast.

I remember seeing posts in the coh forums about such problems, i'd say to go read there. There were workarounds etc for that kinda stuff.

Just make sure that your firewall isn't causing problems. I'm almost sure you might have to open some ports if you have the windows firewall enabled.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    I know for a fact you don't have a 100mb/s connection. The fastest residential lines are 5-9mbits right now, which is barely a meg or 2 a sec at peak, if the person sending you the data has the available bandwidth.

I have 5mbit cable, and it took me 3 hours to update coh/cov.

You are confusing the capability of your network card with actual bandwidth supplied. Most network cards now are 10/100/1000 mbit capable over lan, or if you have the balls to buy an oc3.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As it stands now I can't even access my account on their website. Looks like they reset everyones passwords that had a Lineage 2 account (stupid L2 beta). >_< So I'm having a crap of a time with one of their support people.

Seems I have to know my credit card number that I used to activate my game 3 years ago. Just my luck I moved and went with a new bank since then.