Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nates props

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
Hey everyone! Im relatively new here, Ive just posted a few works in the "what are you working on" thread. Im gonna be making a ton of props this quarter at my school and decided to post em as I make em here. So with that said! heres two that I just finished over the weekend.
NatesAntiqueBooks.jpg

GasCanCompile.jpg

Crits would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I really dig the books.

As for the Can, I'm not quite sure why it changes color 3/4 of the way up. I'm assuming your ref does that, but I might go against your ref and make it all the same color. It just looks pretty weird or almost like a UV problem if someone dosn't look at the texture map.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man, can you show these against a grey background or something? It makes it hard to take in the props in their entirety. The shadows get lost in to the background.

What are the books for? And whats their texture resolution? They seem a little high poly for what they are.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks alot for the feedback. I went back and changed the gas can, you were right my reference did show it that way.
    GasCanfixed.jpg

Both these models are for an unreal mod, Im on a "outsourcing" team in my class so I make models for 3 different games. I realized I wasnt very poly-conscience with the books, so I went in ripped one book out, cut the polys to under 100 and put it on a 256x256. I didnt have time to finish the other three.

IndividualBookcompile.jpg
    Indivwire.jpg

One of my modeling problems was that I was told at school that triangles were a big no no. So I tried to avoid them at all cost and I would normally make a whole edge loop as opposed to pinching off a section off and making a triangle. This added alot of polys. This time I did just pinch it off as you can see here in the wire frame.
    Indivwire2.jpg

Let me know if this was the right thing to do, cause Im still not sure.

Oh and hopefully the grey background I used this time makes it easier to see.

Thanks again for the feedback!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

One of my modeling problems was that I was told at school that triangles were a big no no.

[/ QUOTE ]

what school do you goto? this is the biggest load of crap. game engines only draw triangles. they have to idea WTF a quad is. if you want to do game art triangles are your best friend. even if you make a model in quads you have to go back in and make sure your tristripping is all correct. i would love to personally go to your school and take a dump on your teachers face. just makes me mad that you kids pay so much money for school and they feed you BS like that.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    One of my modeling problems was that I was told at school that triangles were a big no no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this again...you only need to keep your models mostly in quads when you need to use meshsmooth or something similar to subdivide your model (and you want as clean a meshflow as possible). Even then tris are fine in many areas. The places that you want to avoid tris and tripoles are in highdeformation areas.

Also what arsh said.

Tell your teachers to learn the basics and/or be clearer in their explanations.

EDIT:
    About your work:
    Make both sides of the can unique, or merge them on top of each other in the uv. Get some more clean, gray metal in there, mainly on the bottom.

Either paint in more highlights or go the whole distance and do spec, normal and relfection maps.

I like the book texture, still some stuff you can do with it.
    Try to put some soft 1pixel high shadows on the pages to simulate the shadows of pages not perfectly centered in the binding.
    You can try and make another layer similar to the brown grunge on top but make it alot brighter to give the book a more worn look.
    Paint a very slight dent in the pages where the bookmark is.
    More (very) subtle color variation. Try some dark green for a little fungus/rot look.

You can lose the a lot of tris in the segment you have on the egde of the cover and use the extra tris to round out the back and model the long indent along the cover.
    Two book refs:
    http://www.recreationcrawler.net/images/description/Old_book_bindings.jpg
    http://www.recreationcrawler.net/images/description/Brockhaus_Lexikon.jpg
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I appreciate the replies guys. Yea I didnt mean to come in and say what a crap job my teachers have been doing, almost everything I know about modeling and texturing ive learned from them. The whole triangles vs quads thing was probably a miscomunication, but its worked out now and it wont be a problem again, thats the learning process! Anyways Ive been working on a pile of rubble for unreal. (the weird polys that have some reversed normals is gonna be chicken wire)

RubbleWIP.jpg

I was wondering though, is it a problem for game engines if there is intersecting geometry?

Also one other question unrelated to the rubble. where can I find info on whats "next-gen standard"? Cause when Im working on projects that arnt for unreal 2004, id rather be trying to make next-gen standard models and textures.

Thanks!

Edit:

Hey thanks Cubik for the critique, Ill definately go back and work on it some more when I get some more time.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Unless there are some very subtle angles i'm not seeing, it looksl ike your gas can has many unneeded devisions.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    hrmmm, i'd suggest checking out unreal 3, gears of war and unreal 2k7 environment screenshots as far as standards go. they're ahead of the game and they've got some tight stuff.

not 100% sure about the intersecting geometry causing any problems. i wanna say no, but it's been awhile since i've messed with anything in game
    btw, what school do you go to?
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    oh, btw, you can easily make that gas can into a next gen object by building a hi-res/detailed mesh of the can and normal map that sucker to the low poly!
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering though, is it a problem for game engines if there is intersecting geometry?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But if you place all the vertices for two different in the exact same position you'll most likely get z-fighthing (quick explanation) which is damn annoying to watch and a definate immersion destroyer.

http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtReference_CreatingModels is a good start for information about "next-gen" specs and methods. Just search this forum for additional relevant information.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs: Hey man yea I see what your talking about, Ill go back and fix that thanks!
    character: Yea Ill definately check those out. I go to the Art Institute of San Diego. And Im actually learning normal maps this quarter so Ill definately practice on the gas can.
    Cubik: Hey thanks for the info man. Yea Ill probably just throw them in the engine too see if theres a problem.

Anyways! I finished the rubble. I kinda had to rush the unwrap and texture, because its due today.

RubbleRender.jpg

Also I finally got my portfolio site up www.alter-nate.com . I still have a little over a year of school, so most (if not all) of the work in there will be replaced. But I would love to hear some feedback on it.
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Dog polycounter lvl 17
    The material you have there is pretty boring. Perhaps at school you aren't given the choice whether to model a blood-frenzied naked elfchick warrior... or a toilet. But you can still create more interesting and fun art in your own time.

One thing models on your site show is poor use of geometry:

http://www.alter-nate.com/images/Toilet.jpg

That's pretty bad. I mean, it's a nice toilet but it's closer to a subdivision model than efficient game art. You shouldn't be spending triangles on edge loop upkeep or uselessly connecting peices. To go with the multiple unnecessary edge loops, the amount of bevelling is excessive. Ask your teachers to show you some sensible low poly modelling practices, or go and take a look at some examples yourself. That's not how you do it. smile.gif
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the reply Black-Dog, I went back and kept working on the texture (and the geometry a little).

updatedrubble.jpg

And I totally agree about some of the models, even now after getting some feedback from all of you, im looking back and seeing what I could do differently. Thanks for the feedback Im learning tons from all of you.

Edit:
    Actually would you mind explaining what you meant by:

"You shouldn't be spending triangles on edge loop upkeep or uselessly connecting peices."? Im not following
  • LegionaireJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LegionaireJoe polycounter lvl 18
    Rule of thumb:

If geometry (vertex/edge/poly) doesn't noticeably define the shape/silouette, remove it.

Case in point: the toilet has excessive edges (in loops!) that don't define the shape anymore than if they weren't there, so get rid of them. The main culprits are the seat (that surface is flat, and the main breadth of it can be defined with a singly poly) and the cistern (?) the water-holder-thingy on the back. How often is the player going to actually look into the toilet? Mostly likely very quickly, just a passing glance, so lowering the amount of polys defining the bowl shape is justified.

toiletoptgl1.jpg

Since I'm sure this toilet would be replicated for use in an environment, and I'm fairly certain it's not going to play a prominent role in the outcome of the game. You don't need to invest the poly budget you had since it's mostly an object that has to be recognizable and familial enough so that the player knows what it is, and accepts that it looks correct. Any extra detail beyond what it has to imply is excessive. Perhaps I'm being harsh, don't take it that way: it's a fine toilet! but at the end of the day it's just a toilet. If it was a character model, or a FPV gun, something that is going to be seen frequently (thus prone to harsher scrutiny) then a higher poly budget is in order. The toilet though, is there to ground the player with a sense of realism, but just enough to create the illusion of it.

Active optimization, seeing what you need to retain to keep the form pure and true to the intent as you model, takes some practice. It's just another tool in your big bag of tricks as a 3D artist.
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Actually would you mind explaining what you meant by:

"You shouldn't be spending triangles on edge loop upkeep or uselessly connecting peices."? Im not following

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.

nate_prop_crit.jpg

Joe's paintover nailed most of what I wanted to show, but I'll add one suggestion - the base really doesn't need to be connected to the cistern. All those edge loops define are flat surfaces, and you can define those much more cheaply with actual planes. Since it doesn't have to be connected at all, you can save polys by spanning the entire base with a handful of tris (I'd say six). Some model surface will then be hidden, but that's acceptable. Even if for some reason you had to keep everything connected then you could still do that more effectively by growing triangles from your existing corners rather than creating new cuts in the middle of an edge.

You also might try suggesting bevels by lightening/darkening edges in the texture, rather than modelling them.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks alot for the help Joe and Black, Ive changed the way I approach modelling alot, I tried to be way more poly conscience with this Longcase clock Ive been working on. Feedback on this would be really appreciated. Its 315 Polys.

Clock.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The verts along the top of the clock face, just under the roof line could be pushed to the corners. Also the hindges look a little dense, are they 4-5-6 sided cylinders?
  • LegionaireJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LegionaireJoe polycounter lvl 18
    Minus what Vig has already mentioned, that looks great! Glad you took everything to heart and its pretty evident with the clock. Even though it seems you're working with UT200X asset limits in mind, hopefully you'll be able to dive into the newer tech too, specifically normal mapping. The extruded plate on the front of the clocks bottom portion could easily be represented in the texture, without the need for the extra geometry. Using normal maps also gives you a great capacity to add a staggering amount of detail to suprisingly featureless geometry. Definately mess around with it once you get the chance to; I'm finally getting back into the swing of things myself (haven't done art in...way too long), so I'm been brushing up and learning a lot of stuff on my own recently, and it's exciting.

Keep perservering Nate =)
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: Hey thanks for responding. However, I dont really understand what you mean about those top verts, not that I dont agree, just that I dont understand what to do. And actually the hinges are only two sided cylinders

Hinge.jpg

Joe: Hey thanks for the encouragement man. Yea I definately want to start trying more for next-gen stuff. Im actually gonna be learning normal mapping this quarter and plan to normal map this clock once I learn it. And Im sure once I learn it Ill have a dozen more questions for all of you, but Im excited about it. Good luck getting back into the swing of things man, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    clock.jpg

2.jpg

Also make sure that you have removed all tris that the player will never see ie. the tris on the backside of the hinges and the ones under the feet of the clock.
    Much better tridistribution than your older models.

About normalmapping: Go for it! Properly used they will only heigthen the quality of your work.
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a huge improvement. The clock is pretty good, although still a few things to fix here and there.

nate_clock_crit.jpg

This shows what vig meant. You can save quite a bit by simply connecting all your bits to existing, necessary geometry instead of creating verts in the middle of an edge. It's a bit hard to see, but it looks like the bottom has the same problem. The middle bit could also be done as a few planes to save tris, although you could justifiably leave it as is if you want non-unique uvmapping there.

One other thing: if you are posting a flat shaded wireframe, use a paletted image format such as .gif or .png. Tiny filesize + no artifacts = win.

Edit: beaten. frown.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm. I'm going to chime in here and say that sometimes... it isn't always best to weld verts to corners like that.
    It can often create triangular artifacts when the mesh gets lit. Similar to how flat terrain or flat wals are never just 2 triangles.
    Try it out with lighting and see what you can get away with.
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True enough, but you'd do that knowing that you were adding geometry to work around the limitations of vertex lighting and not because you didn't see a more triangle-efficient method.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    my humble 2 cents:

i hear this at least once a week in the studio:
    "the polycount doesn't matter, it's all about the number of draw calls"

just make it look pretty without being completely wasteful.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah on WAR we have to be carefull about draw calls..

you know you coulda just saved a heap of money and just came to polycount in the first place,, I'm Glad i did. tho its good to see you here becoming a member of an active game modeling comnity. pretty much in my exp.. students that go to school and only do the assignments, and never try and push them selves on their own time.. uusally end up with the portfolios that are passed around game companys as comic relief.

i still consier any game art programs as a 100% complete waste of money. its just my opinion and people are free to disagree. but that wont make me any less not incorrect.

your modeling sense has alrready improved just in the few posts you made here,,

also get some more complex objects in that portfolio, games are full of mundane things such as mop buckets and toilets, and if you get a job you will be making the crap out of that stuff.. but in a portfolio, you want to catch someones eye. that clock looks like a good start, if you bust out a really sweet texture,

so far your texture work is not showing a lot, its mostly flat textures, nothing painted with any forms or shapes,

don't be afraid to be an artist,, let yourself get wild heres some inspitation

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/p_embry3.jpg

http://electronicarts.fr/images/images/76420-BF2142pcSCRNannouncement1_p.jpg

also learn how to utilize normal maps and other such next gen stuff.. just do some searches online for tutorials.

i'm not saying put normals on everything. but at least have an understanding.. and when i say learn normals.. DO NOT just convert your base texture to a normal map or i will mutha fucking stab you in your fucking eye.. thats how passionate i am about that subject.

i would also advise putting a few models up in varying styles, some cartoony, some serious, some fantasy some sci fi.. good to show range.

well thats all for now,, keep up the stuff
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot for all the feedback,

Black Dog and Cubik: thanks for the paintovers, I went back and fixed it. And SouL I kept a copy with the quads still in place so I can test the lighting and see if theres a difference.

One thing you brought up blackdog, you said I could probably change that one area in blue (refer to your paintover) to just one plane. But that would make it an 8 sided poly. Are 8 sided polys ok? Thats another thing Ive always been told to steer away from.

Killingpeople: Probably a lame question but what are draw calls?

RhinoKey: Hey man thanks for the feedback. Most of the objects I have in my portfolio were all done at school and I was assigned to do them, I didnt have much of a choice. During my breaks though I definately plan on making something cooler and more interesting then toilets and brooms. And yea I know what you mean about the textures. Ill make bigger effort on my next one. And I too wish I joined with polycount earlier. So far the help Ive gotten from everyone has been incredible.

Anyways, I had alot of models due this week (untextured). So heres two couches I had to make. The assignment is to model the inside of a pullman train, and Im doing a sleeper car.

This ones 134 polys
    Couch2.jpg

And this ones 53
    Couch1.jpg

I took a few creative liberties by adding the curve in the couch, but I still think they look a little bland, Im gona keep working on it, but in the mean time feedback would be appreciated!

Edit:

Made one of those old foldout desks 288 polys

Desk-1.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    well, i don't really know for sure. i asked some programmers from gamedev.

[ QUOTE ]
    Draw submission (generally) requires a ring switch in the driver, among other factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    The "draw call" is the API call you make to submit vertices and state for rendering.

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as i can speculate, it's a drawing routine for a graphic's engine - like a cycle or something. and a drawing routine would be some coded procedures that creates the images you see in a game in real time. when you import shit into the game, you've created a texture and model which must be translated into a readable formate for a game engine using a shader which assigns properties to it which defines a game asset's mesh and textures appearance in the game.

so a certain amount draw calls can be running at one time before it begins to hinder a game's performance.

my guess is that because computers are becoming so powerful, your polycounts will eventually not matter. i throw in my two cents here especially nothing you're currently in school because by the time you're out? my guess is you'll barely have any constraints at all. naturally, you should just focus your efforts on making good looking models - and in my opinion, that would mean placing an emphasis on unwrapping, and texturing skills. always implement clever concepts, fun experimentation, and at the least clean modeling.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in my experiance,, and this is as layman as i can get, dwar calls are the number of times your model has to be rendered by the game engine,, difrent engines seem to handle this in difrent ways,, some engines require a difrent draw call for glow maps,, so it kinda renders the object once for the normal geo, then renders the glow on top of it, sometimes if your objects are not one mesh it will require a draw call for each seperate object, sometimes a difrent draw is required per each difrent material assigned to the object.

thats just my understanding, i know the things to do for our engine to cut back on draw calls, but as i said difrent engines handle them difrently to my exp
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The plane thing, I phrased that badly. What I meant was that you could span that area with planes to save tris. The result would be six planar triangles, not one actual plane. My bad. smile.gif

The furniture models look sensibly constructed, good to see you have a handle on that. I do think you could throw some tris at them and see improvement. The issue people brought up with your previous models wasn't the high polycount per se, but the fact that there was heaps of geometry that wasn't contributing anything to the appearance of the model. So if you think that chair looks pretty blocky and boring, feel free to add tris to improve the shape.

As for draw calls...the details can be a bit technical and complicated. As a modeller, if you try and minimise the number of texture sheets and/or materials you will usually be doing the right thing.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the explanations. And yea I get what you mean now black. And I plan on noodling at those couches today. Unfortunately with the way my assignments are layed out, I get to start modeling something then I have to put it on hold and get working on another assignment. So I will always get back to those unfinished models. And I now have some new ones Ive finished and started. Heres an LCVP landing vehicle from WWII.

LCVP.jpg

I modeled this in max (598 polys), but I have to take it to maya and unwrap it since I made it in a maya class (we were alowed to model in max but we have to texture in maya). Any tips on exporting obj's properly? Whenever I do it the smoothing groups look terrible.

And I also had to model and texture four objects in two days. These two are the only ones I thought were worth showing.

Colab.jpg

Its just the diffuse texture on those. I would have liked to have had more time on the textures... Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these are all fine and dandy, but it like to see some more organic shaped stuff from you, so far most everything is cubes and cylinders,, you are getting better,, but try something like a statue. or a tree
    /
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just so happened my next assignment was to make 3 variations of an Oak Tree, heres my first one.

OakTree.jpg

793 polys
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    very cool models and textures
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    is that an oak tree? it doesnt look very oakish to me. oaks have a distinctive silhouette and leaf pattern. european oaks (in my experience) have a very blueish leaf color but those around here (new england) are more yellowy. I'm seeing your texture repeating too frequently as well, it's jumping out. Your branch pattern is completely obscured by the leaf mass, which itself feels too heavy and solid.

I do like the moss you added at the base of the trunk. I'd suggest using more reference pictures when you work this one over again (if you do). also, dont render with that ugly black background, and get yourself a better light setup! grin.gif

good luck!
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the feedback Noritsune. Yea it was my first attempt at something organic. My first priority was to make it just look like a tree. And yea Its not as oak like as I had planned but I have two more to do so Ill try to get a better likeness. And Ill make more than one leaf texture like I did for this one so it wont repeat as much.

On a side note, I modeled a locker for one of the UT mods.

nb_lockerroom_locker_render.jpg

hopefully its a better lighting setup. Though it is a little dark inside the one locker...

266 polys 1024 texture (but it will sized down)
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started texturing the LCVP landing vehicle. 2048x2048 texture (the assignment called for that large of a texture) Any feedback would be appreciated!

LCVP2.jpg
    LCVP-1.jpg

And heres the unwrap

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/SkepticalNate/LCVPUnwrap.jpg
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright heres the other two Oak Trees. (I have the first one I made in there because I had to present them) I tried to make the other two more oak like but still had some trouble. Theyre all 1024x1024 jpgs just diffuse cause its for Unreal again. Any feedback would be appreciated! (any feedback on the previous stuff I posted would be cool too) wink.gif

oakTree.jpg
    wireOak.jpg
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    nice work dude smile.gif
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks steady!

Heres a forklift Im currently working on. I really want to take this one to the end with spec and normal maps for my portfolio. So I would love some critiques on this one. So far its 755 polys.

Forklift.jpg
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Skeptical Nate, I would take a look at those trees again, the poly count seems pretty high for how the final version looks. I actually thought they were 300 poly trees, as alot of those polys you have are flowing the same way. If you have polys that are close to each other, and flowing along the same direction, just make it 2 polys, instead of 20. This goes for all three of your trees, if you are having problems, go back into your texture and vary the setup for this, but I highly reccomend you do.

Spark
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the critique Spark yea I see what you mean about the leaves, when I get some time I definately want to go back and fix that.

Anyways I got the forklift textured.

Forkliftrender.jpg

And heres the 1024x1024 texture

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/SkepticalNate/nb_anywhere_forklift_textur.jpg

It dosnt look like Im gonna get to normal mapping this anytime soon. Im having alot of trouble figuring out how to build and unwrap my models for normal mapping. Ive only had a week to play around with zbrush, and I think this might be a little too ambitious for me as of now. One question though, is zbrush used much for inorganic objects like this forklift I modeled? Or would they use other methods to create a normal map?
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Normal mapping objects like this in Zbrush is possible, but it defiantly wouldn't be the best way to go about doing it.

The texture looks pretty good. I would defiantly recommend maybe adding some shadows, possibly with an ambient occlusion texture on top of your diffuse.

Spec maybe would defiantly help sell the metal texture more.

Also, black background renders = bad. If you have to use white or grey, or render it on top of at least a plane or something.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to watchdog my thread here... But what is the best way to go about making a normal map for something like this then?

And with the ambient occlusion texture, do you mean just bake one on top of it?

And Ill definately get to the spec. I made this for UT2004 so Spec wasnt a priority but Ill put one in there for my portfolio when I get some time.

And with the background being black. Ive been trying to stay clear of that. I dunno maybe my monitor is too bright, but it looks just dark grey to me, Ill make it brighter next time.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I just finished a new one. The texture is a 2048x2048 (they asked for that size and theyll down res if they need to). Its another outsourced prop for one of the UT2k4 mods in my class. 1442 polys.

StatueRender-1.jpg
    WireframeStatue.jpg

and the texture

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/SkepticalNate/nb_statue_texture01.jpg
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally started working with spec maps and theyre amazing! I dont know why I didnt try to learn how to use them earlier. Heres the first one I tried to make. I would love to hear some critiques on it. Also if theres any tips anyone could give me on specular mapping it would be really appreciated.

Desk2.jpg
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    I'd add some brown/red color to that spec map, it'll add some realism by killing that fake white spec look.

Give it a try and see what results you can come up with.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i genrally do a bluish color for wood spec, polished wood espically DOES have white highlights, red highlights on wood will look bad. I would add some more satuation to the diffuse, and tweak gamma so its abit darker. Also add in some dark wood grain, and get rid of the whitish dusty type areas in the diffuse, that sort of detailing you should put in the spec.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Jdinges and Earthquake for the feedback. I took your suggestions and used them on this longcase clock Ive been working on. (I havnt had a chance to change the desk drawer yet). Any critiques on the spec normal or diffuse would be very appreciated I would like to use this one in my portfolio.

ClockRender.jpg

Diffuse
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/SkepticalNate/ClockTexture.jpg
    Normal
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/SkepticalNate/Clocktexturenormal.jpg
    Spec
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/SkepticalNate/ClockTextureSpec.jpg

Also this is the first time Ive added a normal map to one of my props. All I used was the Nvidia filter. I would love to hear some tips on whats the best method for normal mapping props like this is. Thanks!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like your normal map is inverted. Well not inverted but the wood designs are going inwards and not popping out. Don't forget with the nvidia filter White is Height and Black is Depth.

You basically gotta play with it to figure out the best settings. Ben Mathis has a decent tutorial on this.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Try messing with the levels of your diffuse, right now the wood looks faded with too much white in it. Try darkening the darks a bit to see if that helps. Or add a rich brown/red color layer over it on overlay to deepen the color. It's all about experimenting smile.gif

Unless you're going for the current look that is.