Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spawn pimpology!

Vitor
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vitor polycounter lvl 18
Been spamming this one across the "what are you working on!" thread for a long time already, so thought i'd create his own thread. It would be a lot more usefull when i was starting i as i could receive some more focoused critics, but i'm still not that comfortable creating my own threads among the great ones that are already here :\ anyways got great help on the other topic so here is it almost calling it finished:

Problems that i need help:
- how to add a opacity map to a normal map material? i'm using Ben Cloward three light normal map shader for the spawn it self, and J.I. Styles skin shader for the cape. I heard somewhere that a alpha channel could be added to a *.tga file and use that as a opacity map but have no idea how it work really; second, i heard that i could use the normal map on the bump map channel of a standard map and the opacity on it's channel and then check the it to show as directx shader - but that is not working with me... The lack of opacity map is the reason for the bugged edges of the cape :\

Any help on this is greatly apreciated =)

spawn01.jpg

-image composition and design by Vig wink.gif !
2498 triangles.

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    where is his abdomen? right now his ribcage is sitting on top of his hip bone.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cape is mirrored, if you apply an opacity map that is mirrored it will be very obvious. I'm sure not if there is a way to mirror the defuse, spec, and normal and not the opacity? You might need to rethink the unwrap on the cape...

His fingers seem a bit fat, from what I remember spawn had some long finger nail pointy things that come off his fingers. His thumb seems to be a bit far back on his hand?

Also cut down the horizontal size of your image down so it doesn't scroll the thread horizontally. try to keep it under 1024px if you can, something like, this.

And here is a paint over of the changes to the anatomy I would make. Mind you I'm more of an early spawn fan where he
    is closer to porportion of spiderman than a hulking mass.
    spawn01.gif
    - Moved the crotch down, and made it bigger to fill the space between the legs.
    - Extended the fingers and thined them out.
    - Added the finger nails.
    - Thinned out the arm around the elbow to give the musles a powerful silloette.
    - Extended the thighs and abdomen, moved his hip bone lower.
    - Moved the chest up and reshaped the back muslces.

EDIT: Removed large image and linked it instead*
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Image isnt showing up for me
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I didnt know Joel's shader supported opacity maps, but if you want to display the opacity map and normal map in the viewport just use a default material with these settings.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/shika01/blah.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Can we see texture flats?
    I like creature's proportions.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Thx a lot for the comments everyone =)

I now reckon that i made quite a few wrong design choises, but now, i can't do much without redo most of it :\ so i just quick fixed what i could do with just vertice tweaking and little more. And on the end, this wasn't based on any Spawn reference so "realism" wasn't the first aim, but comparing it to the "real" thing it's clearly wrong...

I'd call it now: rushing it to the end so i can start something fresh laugh.gif

spawnpose4pk4.jpg

... a sad end for a fun project.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a good end to a great project. Its a really good piece of art, and any piece of art you make that teaches you something new is a great piece!
  • WayneAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its a good end to a great project. Its a really good piece of art, and any piece of art you make that teaches you something new is a great piece!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that for some reason.