Home General Discussion

Heroes on NBC

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
Any of you guys watching this? I just caught up with the first two episodes today (God bless TiVo), and I have to say that this is one awesome show. It's kind of like the movie Unbreakable, but with multiple characters spread out across the world. Very intriguing, watching these characters figure out their super-powers. I'm already concerned that it won't have enough fans to make it through the mid-season network cull smile.gif

To those of you who are watching it, any thoughts on just what Niki's powers are? I'm thinking it's some sort of multiple-personality telekinetic thing, but it's really hard to figure out what's going on with her reflection...

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i started watching the 1st ep and about 20 mins in, it didn't really grab me as much as LOST, Invasion, battlestar did. Maybe i'll catch an ep again, to give it a chance.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    withour hiro, the little dorky asian dude, this show would be utterly boring.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't say I'm all that interested.

The first two episodes have failed to grab my attention, unlike the other popular dramas on right now.

I like Hiro's story so far, don't really like the other characters much.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm pleasantly suprised, so far.
  • LegionaireJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LegionaireJoe polycounter lvl 18
    The only bad thing I can say about the show is that, come January, it's the SAME TIMESLOT AS 24 frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Curses!

I totally dig the show, and I could never figure out what that familial feeling was until you mentioned Unbreakable (which is my favorite of M. Night's movies). Honestly, I think the momentum is very subtle; not to spoil anything for anyone, but there's a lot of things they've tucked into certain scenes; I've caught myself inching up on the couch quite a few times.

However, they really need to bring that momentum full front soon, as I can see how people would lose interest quickly; for me, last nights episode got things rolling, but I love this genre and the current subtlety of it all.

Hiro rocks! The two brothers & the cheerleader are interesting enough for me, and it was good to get introduced to the police officer. I don't really get the mirror-mom... The girl next door (professor's neighbor) is cute <_<; way cute! I think she was on Everwood? Regardless, she's cute >_>;

I hope the connecting thread between the characters is woven soon, so it can be cinched tight, bringing the circle of individuals into a group, as the stories are somewhat, but understandably, disconnected at the moment and that can make it difficult to watch.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Show isn't bad. I agree with Lee3dee and Skanker. It's not up there with Lost or 24 in terms of getting your attention asap. I was kinda expecting that. That said, it's not a bad show.

Personally Studio 60 is the best new show so far I've watched. It's nice to have a show not assume the viewers are idiots and can keep up with something fast paced and intelligent.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the show so far. Did anyone catch that the pattern (looks a bit like a broken DNA string) in the professor’s code was also in the pool in the next scene? It's made out of a garden hose and some floaties. Probably doesn’t mean anything but I always love seeing little hidden things going on in the background.

- BoBo
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I've watched both episodes and while I somewhat liked it, I don't know if I'll keep watching. It totally reminds me of last seasons "Surface" or whatever that was. Lots of different stories about people spread over the world all related and your just waiting for them to get together so that the real shit can start. I think this show even has the same announcer.

As far as I'm concerned, it's only got 2 things going for it. The first is the hottie girl in Vegas and me trying to figure out wtf her power is. The second is definately Hiro. That dude should have his own show. Kill off the entire rest of the cast and give it to him.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Didn't catch that, but it probably does mean something, considering the killer ('Syler' or something, wasn't it?) had a lot of contact with the professor.

It also shows up in some of the art before Hiro discovered the body.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really like the show so far. Did anyone catch that the pattern (looks a bit like a broken DNA string) in the professor’s code was also in the pool in the next scene? It's made out of a garden hose and some floaties. Probably doesn’t mean anything but I always love seeing little hidden things going on in the background.

- BoBo

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely, the symbol is everywhere. The artist guy that offed himself had it painted on some canvas when Hiro came in, and the younger of the brothers doodled it on his sketchpad in the hospital. Very neat that it's just a shape inside the genetic sequence that the professor uncovered. You figure that the garden hose thing must have been arranged by the murderer? It seems he must know what it is, but that gets me confused about a few other things. I'm also curious about the bad guy's powers - we had a frozen victim (Iceman style?) and one pinned to the wall via an assortman of knives (super strength, crazy knive throwing skillz?)

What I'm looking forward to is when the public becomes aware of this, and also an explanation of why/how these heroes are coming into being just now. I can overlook the shortcomings of the series thus far just to see a take on superpowers in the real world.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it quite a bit, I will definatly continue to watch it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm mixed on it. I have class on Monday nights, so I didn't get to catch the second one fully. I saw the first one online through an early preview. I think I might like it later, but so far I'm just not drawn to it. I think they are jumping around too much and not really building on any character. I also hope it doesn't take them three years to get to that November 8th date (for the explosion). That kills a show for me.