Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wolfen

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
so i decided I was gonna res up the wolfen model i did a texture for in my portfolio... here's my results thus far. just faffing about in muddy boxes for about 45 or so from a low res mesh.

wolfenhead3.jpg

Replies

• stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    so i updated this ish. did some max script and was waiting for ocncept at work so i doodled some more on the bodeh. weee
    wolfenhead03.jpg

(rogue edited the image to update beforei went home. refresh if you saw it i guess)
  • tacit math
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    that's a nice clay feel to that material a. looks pretty mean man. bring on the dog leg

• stoofoo
  • tacit math
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17

cool. maybe next comp'll be a darkstalkers redesign. and you'll have a version of jon talbain to place

• Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Damn mudbox people smile.gif
    I applied for the beta a long time ago, but they haven't sent me an invite for the app yet :'(
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good stoof. is that like one big uber ear on his head or are they seperate?
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    haha... it's 2 ears they are just pinned together. I guess wolfne is wrong name... its actually a devourer or something like that. They look pretty much the same one is just more angry.=) hehe.

I already lost my shit doing the hair once. That's why it only got as far as it did hahaha. ill go back hwne the carpal tunnel goes away.
  • stoofoo
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    wolfenhead07.jpg

added some more detail, cleaned up some thats there. etc etc. fun lunch project.
  • character
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    lookin good so far man. i like the muscle detail in the torso
  • hoabert
    Offline / Send Message
    hoabert polycounter lvl 17
    it looks like he's sucking his gut in (maybe a hot girl is walking by?) but otherwise it looks great
  • Oddmind
    Offline / Send Message
    Oddmind polycounter lvl 17
    im really enjoying this, shape up all of the muscles like the ones in the chest and the face and this will be a really great piece.
  • Psionic
    Offline / Send Message
    Psionic polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good so far, are you gonna paint fur over most of him?? if so thats gonna be a biiiig job wink.gif
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    No, there are speciffic parts. THe feet, the tail, the mane. maybe a bit around his pelvis for a "treasure trail" and some on his chest. hehe
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    wolfenhead9.jpg

Done some updates. I have been messing around with the armors on and off. Expect it to change pretty dramatically. I just wanted to have some stuff to work around in mudbox for the visible skin. This has becomes the hunt and peck project for me when i come home from the bar so it progresses ever-slowly. oh well. one day itll be in my portfolio. wink.gif
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great mudbox work so far, what is that on top of his head though. :P
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    His ears. they are pinned together. wink.gif
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks sweet. Why don't you make the mane on the back of his head more fluffy / heavier, it's seems kind of too thin for an animal that has that much fur there. It would also make him look more threating and bulky.

Alex
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    God I hate the way people do chicken legs. No offense, your model is great, until I get to the knee and it makes a 90 degree turn for no good reason. Get some referrence of real "chicken legs."

The knee is still the knee, the second joint is the ankle, making the back of that the heel, and the rest that sticks down is all toes. There should not be a second Femur in there, the whole bottom 1/3 of the leg is actually the foot.

And the angles should be much more subtle, allowing the foot to actually be positioned under his center of gravity so he doesn't fall on his face.

ill_dog_skeleton.gif

hl_fig2.jpg

cat_skeleton.gif

chickenskel.jpg
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    " the angles should be much more subtle, allowing the foot to actually be positioned under his center of gravity so he doesn't fall on his face."

Thats what a skeleton and rig is for. I mean last I checked humans don't go hanging around in the "davinci" pose on a regular basis.
    The reason for that turn in the leg is the same as for putting a human in a spread eagle pose. Its much easier to sculpt properly when what you're working on isn't at some bizarre angle that the camera just doesn't like to match. Also its easier to ensure your joints are properly oriented by default with bends like that.

No personal offense intended mind you, I just am so tired of seeing (or getting) critiques about the expression on a characters face or the angle of an arm which is intended to be animated later.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    no prob, I understand the need to rig it in an odd position, just making sure that it doesn't stay like that. I've seen too many, even after being rigged and animated, that are still walking around in that position.
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, this is definitely not his true neutral pose. It's just a pose thats easy to sculpt and rig. I'll be sure to post some rigged stuffs after i have made the high and low poly. Thanks for the comments tumer! i assure you they are accounted for.;)
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, this is definitely not his true neutral pose. It's just a pose thats easy to sculpt and rig. I'll be sure to post some rigged stuffs after i have made the high and low poly. Thanks for the comments tumer! i assure you they are accounted for.;)

[/ QUOTE ]

A true neutral pose might be a better idea though-- if not while you're sculpting, maybe after you bake normals and right before you bone it. You'll have a much easier time with deformation if you keep the pose in the center of its normal range of motion (Ie. The least it has to move away from the base pose the better)

That is, assuming you're going the normal map route, otherwise ignore this, since there are a whole lot more options for rigging a non-real-time model.
  • dejawolf
  • seankaremaker
    I really dig the design of this character's head, he reminds me of a combination of the badassery of American wherewolf in London combined with Disney's old big bad wolf cartoon.

im looking forward to seeing how this character will pose with his odd legs.
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    so I found an image of the WIP of my old low res version of this character. Or rather, kris did. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks posed. Just pretend itsn ot the old model. It does show the shapes pretty well.

wolf.jpg
  • kukk
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    Well... I personally think that all the fantasy creatures who have hind legs like a 4-legged animal (i.e. they stand on their toes) and still walk on 2 legs for some reason look stupid. Birds balance it with toes, but not the werewolves and demons and fellas like that. But that's just my humble opinion...

Btw, there is an Estonian fairy-tale about that. A man had to wrestle with the devil and the one who had won 3 times would... I don't know, get a treasure or smth.
    The man lost twice but then he noticed that the devil had no heels. He tried pushing the devil backwards abruptly and won the next three times wink.gif
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Kukk! I appreciate you sharing the opinion that digitigrades shouldnt be upright. I dig the look, i guess. I dont anticipate the legs will change much of at all, at this point.

From the sound of that story, the estonian devil is something of a chump. Perhaps he should invest in some training wheels? =) Perhaps a larger counter-balancing tail or phallus. Counter balancing wanger would be _rad_.
  • kukk
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    No problem, I didn't mean that you should change it to a plantigrade or smth. As I said, it was just my humble opinion smile.gif

And about the devil in estonian fairy'tales... well... yeah, he is a complete dumbass. He loses a bet or gets beaten up or stung by bees or killed in most of them :P
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    So a Mr. Magoo with hooves? Haha. I like this devil. Does he look similarly sad and inadequate?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Man, I don't like those ears at all. I don't understand what you're going for with them, and they just look incorrect, like they're one weird connected double-sided ear on the top of his head.

That's my critique and comment, seperate the distance between them and bring them more to the sides of the head. I can accept the legs as belonging to some "fantasy anantomy", but not the ears.

I like his foot claws, though.