Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

America's Army Game v2.7 Images

Jonathan Nascone
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan Nascone polycounter lvl 18
Here is some Art done by myself and the Art staff at America's Army for our version 2.7 release (http://www.americasarmy.com) To thoes that dont know of the game is a free online FPS made w/ the Unreal 2.5 engine. I hope you enjoy, more images are to come!

steamroller-wide1.jpg

HMMWV_50cal.jpg
HMMWV_mk19.jpg
HMMWV_interior.jpg
Javelin.jpg
amer_soldier_m249.jpgamer_soldier_mrkmen.jpgamer_soldier_sf.jpg
amer_soldier_m203.jpg
enemy_commando_1.jpgenemy_officer_1.jpgenemy_Sergeant.jpgenemy_commando_4.jpgenemy_commando_3.jpgenemy_commando_2.jpgTommy_Rieman_Final.jpgMathew_zedwick_Final.jpgJason_Amerine_Final.jpgGerald_Wolford_Final.jpg

Replies

• conman44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man i wish i someone like you would teach me to model and skin! wink.gifwink.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Those knees and elbows could do with another loop.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    The vehichles look great.... too bad the character art isnt up to the same standard..THe Uv's around the neck on your base soldier model has got some bad stretching going on...THe likenesses all look like ventriliquist dummies...I think it's a combination of the mirroed face texture and that the bodies have a wierd shape
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    what low odor said, plus, is that me or do they only have 4 fingers (thumb+3 fingers) if so then that's a bit of a shame for a retail title, even free.

you really need to put shading on those skins too, they look really flat and lifeless.

The building in the maps are not destroyed on a beliveable way...I know you have to put gameplay there, but for a gam that is meant to be a soldier simulation, that's a bit sad too...

grats on the release tho.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think there is a stark contrast between the environments / vehicles and the player models. The environment looks fairly realistic, so doe the hummer. Whereas the player models look really cartoony.

wondering if this was intentional?

I can understand making the player models more unrealistic to take the gore and reality out of killing, something other games are clambering over each other to do the exact opposite of. But if they are meant to look real, then unfortunately they need a lot more work.

For example, on the heros, you could have simply taken the photo and placed it on the texture, then painted over it a bit. Same with all the clothing and items.

Still, it is yet to be confirmed so I'm only speculating.

Regardless of the style intent, the black american soldier and the commando AI really need some work on their faces.

Also, 3 fingers? confused.gif one guy appears to have one of his fingers split in half! (special forces)
  • Jonathan Nascone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan Nascone polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, well I guess I should have explained more before I posted, the original character models/textures we use were done on the Ureal 2 engine back in July, 2001 back when "mit" hands were standard. The art style was already established before our current Art staff got here. I wasnt looking for crits, just sharing our latest release from the aging 5 yr old engine. Crits are valid though, unfortunely all we can do atm- till we start work on the UE3 engine.
    Anyways thanks again!

Found another image:

actionshot-1.jpg
  • djmonkeyboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djmonkeyboy polycounter lvl 17
    For being the only guy working on steamroller, I know it could certainly be improved, but felt the damaged buildings were portrayed in a plausible way in relation to low poly counts.
    Some examples:
    http://www.djmonkeyboy.com/drop3/6_24_073106_israel1.jpg
    http://www.djmonkeyboy.com/drop3/278817.jpg
    http://www.djmonkeyboy.com/drop3/p3.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff, thanks for sharing. You say you weren't looking for crits, but they're always useful to push you when you think you're satisfied with your work. There's no resting on ones laurels in this game ;-)

I don't really feel like the low specs are contributing to the character issues. They're very cleanly and well made, they just feel a little naiive that's all. Some subtle eyeball shadow might have helped the stark cartoony eyed look, and overall I think they lack observation and precision in the context of trying to depict realistic human beings. The head models of the real heroes confuse me a little. Those are incredibly dense meshes, are they in game, or just high res models used for normal map generation? Either way, they seem to be very high without many of the those polygons actually contributing to form, and the structure of them definitely needs work. The foreheads all share a strange vertical central bump, the likeness could sure be closer and the forms in general could have been more atonomically accurate. The helmets on the US soldiers most certainly look too small on the heads of your models to me : http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/2003-12/22/xinsrc_8e9e873d1a064401a382b6421c6af58d_ussoldier.jpg http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k253/nascone_j/AGP%20art/amer_soldier_m203.jpg

Just some pointers, that's all. This is high quality work overall.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with what has been written so far and I don't really have anything else to add. Just wondering why the ammo feed chute for the CROWS weapon systems are missing in game. Is it due to technical limitations?

Anyways, good work, and keep it up.