Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Male - WIP

mod
Offline / Send Message
Geezus mod
Generic title, I know. :] I've been posting my progression on this model in the SWAYWO thread. It's been suggested that I create my own thread for this guy since I've been updating daily I'd imagine. So here it is.
Started this guy a few days back. This is my first attempt at a full body human character. As far as humans go, I've only been modeling heads. I'm trying to think hard about deformations and getting a good mesh flow. I'm trying to stay at about 2k tri's. I'd be grateful for any C&C.

LowPolyMaleWIP04.jpg

I have a little over 450 tri's left to play with for the head.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    A great start. He seems to be missing his lats though, which make it look like he has no shoulder. The lats are the main muscles which give the upper torso a triangular look.

latspread.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Another quick point before I turn in - the ankle bone is actually the end of two bones, and the one on the outside of the foot is lower down and further back.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Started to do a paintover, but then just pasted a photo for u...just compare, and this will help you out a lot...make your loops define more form also.

LowPolyMaleWIP04.jpg
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Thanks for the tips Rick and Trem! I took what you both said and made some changes (aside from adding the penis :]). I also fixed some flow that I wasn't happy with. It seems the further I get into this, the more I fix or mess with the flow. Keep the C&C coming please, it's really great to get feedback on this. Anywho, progress:

LowPolyMaleWIP05.jpg
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    see how in your profile view all of the edges come to one vert in the ribcage region....well thats bad for smoothing. Also give him some more meat around the love handle region, really compare the silhoutte with that of the naked guy i sent you and you will see more thing popin up.
    Also check out how the calf should connect slightly higher on the leg on the outside of the leg than that of the inside. Ankles still look wrong. They are too high, and kinda look like socks. Maybe beef up the traps a little also...anywho, keep goin./
    I like what you're doin so far keep it up.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Yeah, I had actually fixed those edges on the side coming into one vert late last night. Gave him a little more definition in the love handle area, and altered the calf and ankles a bit:

LowPolyMaleWIP06.jpg

Starting work on the head right after this cigarette :]
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    So, I've been workin' on the head for awhile today. Right now he's coming in at 1926 tris. I think I'll be pushing a lot of his face up a bit, looks too enlongated to me. I dunno though, I've been staring at this thing all day. crazy.gif
    Any C&C's welcomed :]

LowPolyMaleWIP07.jpg

LowPolyMaleWIP08.jpg
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    After stepping away from this for a little bit and coming back, I saw countless problems, and fixed a lot of the issues I was having with the face. At anyrate, no more sickly, square headed, enlongated face guy. Progress:

LowPolyMaleWIP09.jpg
    1920 tris total so far.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I did a few minimal changes to the face; brought the ears a little further back and up some, indented the section between the lower lip and jaw a bit more. Worked on a few weapon/armor ideas for this guy today.

LowPolyMaleWIP12.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Here is my base mesh if it helps you any.

http://www.tgz3d.com/adam.jpg
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Awesome, I'll definetely be adding that to my surplus of examples I've been referencing throughout this. I especially like the way you've defined the trapezius area. Thanks Thegodzero, I appreciate it :]