Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Fun! WIP

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
neilberard polycounter lvl 17
Here’s a knight that I’m working on and the ref photo. Very WIP! C&C always welcome. Right now I’m in the process of generating normal maps for the low poly, I’ll post again a soon as those are finished.
C000445_L.jpg
knightWIP2.jpg

-Neil

www.neilberard.com

Replies

• character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    lookin cool man. although if you look at the pic, the pauldrons aren't symetrical. the right one has sort of a hole in it to give the sword arm more range of movement, and the left one is closed off to add more protection and work in conjunction with the shield. although i'm not sure how technicaly accurate you wanna go with this. just thought i'd point it out. i think the thigh plates should be more like the ref as well. what you replaced them with is interfering with the rest of the design of the armor. good luck with this, i can't wait to see it finished!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    NEIL! Been working away I see! Lookin good so far, the wait seems a tad slim, like he has no ass, but maybe it's the angle? Keep at it, it'll be fun to see this normal mapped!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The armor covering the thighs goes around the inside of the leg as well, as I assume it does on the outside. They also go underneath the knee-armor parts. The bottom of the chest plate flares out, giving the hip armor something to hang from.

I preferred the round curves on the pouldron corners closest to chest on the ref then the sharp ones on your model, but thats a matter of taste.

its coming along nicely.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What, its not perfect!? tongue.gif No, I really appreciate your crits accually.
    -Character, it seems obvious now, but I completely missed that about the pauldrons.
    -Elliotte, its really good to hear from you again, I always welcome your input. I think what Sectaurs had to say the flare from the chest plate is why he has no ass.
    -Sectaurs, thank you for your insight, I’ll get an update posted asap.
    -Neil
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some updates I made. At the last minute I realized something funky in the tassets. Anyway, hope you like it so far. Tomarrow I'm going to add all the final details to the high rez and normal map him.
    -Neil

www.neilberard.com knightWIP3.jpg
    knightWIP4.jpg
    knightWIP5.jpg
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Good work so far, but something i found for getting the best resaults is to figure out how they were made in the real world and make them the same way in hipoly. So for you that would mean a huge redign of most your gear. namly the gloves.

The fingers of the gloves were done in a few ways one was with leather underside or chainlink but both had just half loops over the fingers that overlaped each other. You made the whole finger as one object, it would have been easier to make it the real world way because you can clone the geo a few times to get a more life like effect.

Just food for thought.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero, you bring up a good point, for me at least, this model has been a huge learning experience. I wish I knew a lot these things before I started. Oh well, I guess I'll let it go for this guy, but for the next model, I'll take your advise. So you think in this case, it is better to seperate all the peices of armor and chain mail?
    Thanks for your input!
    -Neil
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Chain mail nahh but all the armor i would. Chain mail i wouldnt worry about. It all comes down to what you want to do with this guy.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I finally got a normal mapped lowpoly model for this character. There are some spots in the normal map where the normals are inverted that I still need to clean up. This is a screen capture in maya with the low poly using about 2800 tris and a 1024px normal map.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    normal.jpg

Cheers,

-Neil
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Looks neat, but looks far too skinny for someone to actually fit inside especially around the waist. Works for armor on a stand though.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. I think Chris brings up something fairly crucial though. Overall it looks to me more like an empty suit of armor, than somebody actually wearing one.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Lil more waist and ass cheek, plus I think the legs are looking just a tad stiff. An ever so slight bend in the knees would give him that slightly weighted stance that would make it feel like someone is inside.

Decent example:
    knight.gif
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Thanks again for your comments. I widened the waist, layed down some extra badunkadunk, and posed him.
    -Neil
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    haha, texture him!
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message