Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ahhhh, Venice *DELETED*

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I love it!

However I would make the water look warmer. By making it a foggy light green or (perhaps turquoise?) with hints of orange in it. Right now it's looking like cold ocean water.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The water should be green/brown.

Neo-God - you know that it is Ocean Water, right?

Check that doorway that opens onto the water - the waterfront doors were the front door of every house, and would likely have a mooring point for a boat.

Also, the arch bridge is likley to be arched on the top, either as a curve or stepped.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    very nice wayne! i really like this new one of yours. keep up the great work!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    That's a sexy environment there, great stuff dude, now texturize this bad boy!!
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    yeah proportions are the big popper so far, also if your going to use the lower shot that shows behind the arch then add some lower detailed buildings so we dont see never ending lala land
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I didn't Rick...I always figured it was river of some kind that eventually fed out into the ocean...like most rivers. But now I know.
  • PuDDu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I always lurked (maybe did some posts 2 or more years ago) but this thread catched my attention.

I'm italian and i've been in Venice many times. And that doesn't look like Venice to me...

I don't know if you wanted to make it "cartoonish" or what, but something isn't really right in your architecture.

I uploaded some photos i did 2 years ago when i was in Venice, i hope you can have some help from them.

Actually the water that flows through the canals in Venice isn't from the Ocean (Italy is within the Mediterranean Sea) but it's the water of a lagoon, neither the sea nor a river.
  • WayneAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by WayneAdams
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having the flat topped bridge is still breaking the look of it .

In fact, It doesn't really look like venice at all - it looks more like Morocco with a flooded street.

But now you say it's not Venice.

You've got a slightly strange mix of art styles - some realistic and some cartoony, and your scene as a whole would benefit from some more consistancy.
  • WayneAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    But now you say it's not Venice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not covering tracks because it doesn't match Venice.
    and I like the flat top bridge..the arch underneath is the support..I don't see how buildings could rest on the top of the bridge if they rested on an arched surface..Anyways I like it, so it stays.

As for consistancy, I agree, I'm trying something out, if it doesn't work then it'll be easy to fix. Thanks for the comments, Rick.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing with the bridge is that you are thinking a bit modern type structure and older bridges have that bend to them because of what was availabel when they were made. and being your doing a really old type of city that has seen its share of years then i think irregularity to structures like the bridge will make it feel more natural/accurate
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually, now that I look at it. It looks like a brighter and cleaner version of the city in the film City of lost Children.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    This doesn't carry the spirit of venice. You ought to consider Rick's input as he is on the money.

The thing about Venice, the thing about most European cities is that they are ancient, most buildings , streets, pavements, steps, lamposts etc are at an angle and worn away and thats why the suggestion to arch that bridge should not have been ignored.

This scene looks very artificial, you ought to listen to what people are trying to tell you and get some solid photographic reference and stick to that.

If you want to be an environment artist, ever... you need to be grounded in research as attention to detail is what sells the scene to the viewer.

r.
  • WayneAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My point about the bridges was based purely on their function. In Venice the streets are not much higher than the water in most places - Venice is notoriously bad for flooding.

The bridges were built in an arch shape to allow the water traffic to pass under them, so the midpoint is much higher than the endpoints. So, high middle points with low endpoints = arch.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't see how buildings could rest on the top of the bridge if they rested on an arched surface.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, it'd be hard for buildings to rest on arched bridge - whihc is why there are no buildings built on bridges. They are just narrow footbridges.

Anyway, sorry to rant on (no, I'm not). It's just such a defining part of the city, that unique city.
  • WayneAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i like the design, the bridge etc, but no way it is venice .
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    It's a good start but I agree with most people's perception that it doesn't look like the Venice people are familiar with.

I will say this though most people get bussed through the tourist gauntlet when going there, you get in from the trainstation, walk downs some streets, get to the square walk some more and pop out right back at the station.

There are several other very interesting areas that look similar to this, discounting the architecture flaws others mentioned in the thread.

Even with that said it's important especially for games to create a setting people are familiar with. Even with good reference there's a chance the viewer might find something unfamiliar and assume it's incorrect.

It's amazing the poor reference builders used when they built the real world wink.gif