Home Technical Talk

best format for demo reel?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
What is the best format to save my demo in? Is there a format i shouldn't use? Right now im using .mov.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Use a PC based format as well. I prefer mov, but not everybody does, and not everybody has it, let alone quicktime pro. It sucks not to be able to view a reel in full screen.

I don't like wmv (but probably because I've hardly worked with it), but it always works on a windows PC and beats the hell out of standard avi codecs.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    whats wrong with divx? .mov seems to wash out the contrast somewhat
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever you use, avoid anything that requires the download of some obscure codec, or some free codec that comes with a bunch of spyware. Use something mainstream.

For size and quality, wmv is tough to beat. Quicktime has some nice options, but avoid using codecs that only come with quicktime pro. I've had some good results using the basic Sorenson codec.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    MPG is a good format that nobody needs to download a codec to watch. I usually submit reels in WMV or MOV format though. Another thing I do is I don't compress the video very much, I just put the reel in a zip file with maximum compression. That way people can still download a small file and but watch a good quality video.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    From watching showreels, I prefer .mov as it lets you scrub back and forth so you can see some things better.

But I suppose including .mov and wmv etc. options is probably not a bad idea.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    What about a compiled exe of a bink compressed video? Are people still paranoid about opening .exe files that weren't there on the computer to begin with?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes.

I recently looked at an applicant who sent a CD with an autorun pointing at an exe, which in the end was just a UI to his avi files. Anyhow makes me glad I disable Windows' stupid CD-autoplay defaults. I won't run an exe unless I know the source.

I like monster's MPG/ZIP idea, good tip.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember that macs don't run .exe and have poor WMV support.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    For the love of god, don't use .mov I can't count how many times I lacked either video or sound because of some wired "subversion" of that codec that would only run on macs and the newest version of quicktime confused.gif

I don't particualary like .wmv either (problems on MACs and Linux), but if you can be 100% sure the guy you send it to uses MS-Windows than at least you can be sure it runs.

But yeah a zipped .mpeg will do fine, it runs everywhere and a .zip file will go through every coporate firewall, which is not the case with many videofiles.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    If you aren't applying for an animation or cinematics position.... what is the point in having a demo reel? All it does is make it hard to read the forms of your models, and blurs out any work you put into the textures.

At about 5 med/high res jpegs per MB, you can say how good you are alot better than 3 minutes of 360 turn arounds and White Zombie tracks. That, and I'm pretty sure jpgs will still open on a mac.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a good point Xenobond.

I didnt inlcude music in mine since I thought it would be to distracting. Thinking about it though I wish I would have included a folder with jpegs of work.

Is it good to send in code samples even for an art position? Programing is another passion of mine that i've been developing in tandem with art.

- Jesse
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    For the love of god, don't use .mov I can't count how many times I lacked either video or sound because of some wired "subversion" of that codec that would only run on macs and the newest version of quicktime confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where the love of a deity enters into this debate, but I've never EVER once experienced any of the problems you describe, nor have I ever not been able to play a particular .mov. Many many times however have I had codec issues with .wmv and other windows based formats. It's pretty astounding how standard .mov is as a format for online demo reels If its as unreliable as you would have people believe.

Personally I think .mov is the way to go. It's simply easier to stop the playback and scrub back and forth than other formats (something that is probably useful when looking at a 3 dimensional model), and the best middle ground between mac & pc compatibility issues.

Still, it really depends on what you're talking about when you say demo reel. For online, or for mailing out on some kind of media? Xeno makes a valid point too though. Generally speaking, pre-rendered cg houses prefer to see an actual reel, but i don't think it's too important when applying to games studios.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    as daz mentions, the scrubbing back and forth (normally forth) that you can do with quicktime is something i thank my diety for every single day.

.mov all the way
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    .mov rocks, never had any problems with it and i am a PC user.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But you are always playing .mov with quicktime installed right?
    Because if you haven't installed that bloatware then you (or at least I) run into several problems with that codec frown.gif

Not sure what you mean by that scrubbing back and forth, but you can fast forward/jump to any spot with a mpeg/avi just fine.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I still don't really understand the issue since any company worth its salt that you would be sending your reel to would have Quicktime installed.

'Scrubbing back and forth' means keeping the play button pressed and sliding it left and right, in effect being able to 'rotate' the model If you are looking at a 360 turnaround. Very useful.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer quicktime. I can't say how many submissions I've ignored because I didn't have the codec. If you're in a batch with 20 other applicants the last thing you want is ask someone to install a codec.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .mov FTW. I hate avis! .mov will open straight in firefox.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okok, I rest my case smile.gif
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Well I thought I'd put in my 2 cents, but what about Shockwave 3D?

That's what I'm using on my (soon to be finished) website. Most people have it installed, and your work can be manipulated right in a browser window. What could be a better way for showing off your 3D work than being able to zoom,pan, and rotate around your models in real time?

Of course, if you're showing off a high-res zbrush model, then this wouldn't work.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well I thought I'd put in my 2 cents, but what about Shockwave 3D?

That's what I'm using on my (soon to be finished) website. Most people have it installed, and your work can be manipulated right in a browser window. What could be a better way for showing off your 3D work than being able to zoom,pan, and rotate around your models in real time?

Of course, if you're showing off a high-res zbrush model, then this wouldn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or anything that needs any sort of custom shader. Right? So pretty useless unless you're trying to get a job doing low spec protable console work or something.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    So pretty useless unless you're trying to get a job doing low spec protable console work or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahem, well yeah, unfortunately. PERFECT for showing off low-poly topology, but not much else I suppose.

Has anyone tried out the new Adobe Acrobat 3D? It looks like it might be a great format for something like this. Unfortunately it might have the same limitations.

EDIT: For games oriented reels, DX Studio could be a cool and unique way to display a demo reel, interactively displayed in a browser. And since it's directx 9 based, can display those shaders too. I think I got a free copy with 3D World, I might check it out.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't rely on browsers. Just send a .mov file.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    No doubt, for me, the best format now is an avi or mp4 video file encoded with h264. Also, Divx is good too, and very very popular. Almost all people can reproduce it without problems (the majority of home dvd players are divx compatible, so u can watch it on tv).

If you have problems with codecs, just download the latest version of ffdshow and haili media splitter. You could play HD videos in old systems like my 1700mhz :P.

I dislike a lot the .mov format. I sincerely prefer an avi with divx, xvid or h264. A mp4 with h264 format is also very good, excelent quality.

My two cents
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    A divx install does really weird things to my pc. It always has.