Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final Blizzard Entry - Tristram Cathedral (big!)

noritsune
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
noritsune polycounter lvl 17
hey guys -

Well I actually finished my entry for this contest! something I was doubtful of back in early august when I was dragging my heels. Here's the entry sheet I'm thinking of submitting. I wanted to show you guys the finished product as well as get suggestions on presentation - if there's anything you all think could be presented better. There's an opportunity for entrants to write a little description to go alongside their image, so I'm thinking I'll explain my concept of having different environments for different difficulty levels there.

good luck finishing to everyone else out there! I really can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with. grin.gif

tri_entry_sheet_01.jpg

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey man that looks sweet! great job really dig it
    I have a couple minor crits, if you dont mind?
    on the first one some of the ropes/vines dont quite seem to hang right, I'm looking at the couple at the top/center. maybe its just the view angle?
    the other thing I wonder about, is the 'nub' at the end of the chain links- what is it? I expect the last link to end square.. what would be even cooler is meat hooks wink.gif

all in all it looks impressive to me though!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome! I would never think it's lowpoly, it has a great painted look. Great job noritsune smile.gif
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    just a few minor nitpicks at the graphical presentation

i think you should change the typography of the title, a simple sansserif typeface such as arial would do fine. Dont use allcaps.

The title and your name/email are very important yet a little hard to read. You are better off positioning your name and email in same size no caps flush left aligned agains the title.

Maybe you need to set your images against a more neutral gray background. Pure black background affects the perception of contrast and brightness within the image.

I know it in no way affects the environmental piece you are submitting but adressing a few serious graphic design issues could make your presentation that much cleaner and more professional.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    That's kicking some serious ass! Good Job, and Good Luck!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    That is the classic Diablo font tho ... I think it fits. Great job, mang.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know it in no way affects the environmental piece you are submitting but adressing a few serious graphic design issues could make your presentation that much cleaner and more professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

The font he's using is one of the Diablo II fonts used both in-game and in the manual, and traditionally most Blizzard images, and images from Diablo II are show cased on black backgrounds, or mid-grey stone. I think it shows attention to detail and knowledge of the company and game's background and flavor. I say leave it. And really nice images there. The first one really gives the feeling of how they intended to portray Tristram's church, except from a non-top down perspective.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    That is awesome!!! Great job!

Oh yeah, where did you get the diablo font? I might want to use it for my presentation, that is if I even get it done. But I do have 8 days to do it.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Holy freakin hell that rules. smile.gif I love it man, great job and good lukc. smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i think that looks awesome and captures the diablo 2 look perfectly! smile.gif good luck dude! smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like the bats flying around the Normal Difficulty, nice touch. The atmosphere changes between the two scene are great, and add so much.

I'd crack open the floor a bit in the Hell Difficulty with glowing lava/fire in the cracks.

Maybe the upper section of this image is too cluttered. It looks cool, but tough to distinguish anything in particular up there.

The second row of fire cauldrons appear blocked too much by the haze as if they aren't giving off light. Even in heavy atmospheric conditions light still shines through (the lighthouse effect), and this haze isn't even that thick.

Best of luck with this one!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man that looks GREAT.

Love the fog and the light coming through the windows, just looks plain awsome.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, and then some.

It could only be better if it had jack thompson's head on a stick in it.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Going to fire up my D2 mp3s and just set the first shot to my desktop background!

Very nice work bro. I would like to see a little more bounced light in the first shot. Thats my only crit.

I agree with the other posters about keeping the classic D2 font. I'd love to get my hands on that one.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    If possible, you should play with the levels on the "normal difficulty" one, I'd say the area ground level is too muted which is a shame because you have some detailing there with the pews (sp?) and rubble. Otherwise it's all top notch man, great stuff!
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    just a few minor nitpicks at the graphical presentation

i think you should change the typography of the title, a simple sansserif typeface such as arial would do fine. Dont use allcaps.

The title and your name/email are very important yet a little hard to read. You are better off positioning your name and email in same size no caps flush left aligned agains the title.

Maybe you need to set your images against a more neutral gray background. Pure black background affects the perception of contrast and brightness within the image.

[/ QUOTE ]

all these thigns you critizise have DIABLO writen all over it if you ask me ... ... i am just saying
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    I love the Hell Difficulty version!
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    very nice....great stuff...good luck
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty schmick, Nortisune. How many polys did you wind up with in the end?
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys! This baby is out the door officially. Both scenes were flirting with the 100k poly mark by the end (just under) so it's entirely up to Blizzard if they want to consider this for non-cinematic environment. Based on a couple of suggestions I did try having some fire/glowy stuff welling up from the floor, but I couldn't pull it off without making it look romantic/heavenly... reminded me of a wedding scene or something. Ugh.

As for that diablo font... try googling "diablo font" and grab that first hit! laugh.gif the internets, aint it great.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    These are truly beautiful environments. Congrats on finishing and Good Luck!!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, great!
    But... Tristram was village=) there is no Cathedrals there.
    Anyway, luck for u.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow, great!
    But... Tristram was village=) there is no Cathedrals there.
    Anyway, luck for u.

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like a cathedral is there to me. wink.gif

http://diablo.judgehype.com/screenshots/divers/tristram-zork-2000.jpg
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    you win in my book !
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message