Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mudbox Demon

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
I haven't posted in a bit, but since I just started using Mudbox yesterday, I thought I would post my current progress on a model. I am having trouble adding more polys to sections that I want, as when I do it freezes the non selected region completely. If anyone can give me an answer I would appreciate it. Also any comments and crits welcomed.

Thanks
Spark

demonshotrg9.jpg

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    That's a great looking sculpt. Just bring up the rest of the model to the sub-d level of the selected region. Well, that much I learned during my brief romance with mud...maybe someone has a more complete solution to your problem.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    local subdivision works differently to Zee Brush. In Zee it adds polys by subdividing a selected area, mudbox's local subdivision enables you to work in higher detail, in a selected area. So like Snowfly said, you can simply go up in subdivision, if your pc can hanlde the polys.
    The idea is that when your machine reaches it limit, you can still push some area's even further using local subdivision. Then render displacement maps from the hidden higher subdivied level.
    few.. make sense?
    nice demon!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool indeed Brett. The clavicle feels a bit thick and over bulky perhaps? But whatevers, that's an awesome looking sculpt!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    radness, the ears look a little flat, i think you could push the silhouette a bit more from the side and the front. but at any rate its a good sculpt...
    more, more, more,...
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    He has very narrow shoulders, but it works for the character.. I can imagine him with a little bit of a gut and with satyr feet.

Nice work!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, thanks for the replys! Snowfly, and Space, I tried going up in levels after I increased the polys in an area, it stayed a color teal and no matter what I did I was only able to affect the increased area. I'm sure I'm missing a step somewhere.
    Daz, yeah I had started building out the front sternum to help with the large clavicles, which helped..but I think I'll tone those down some:) (Alot farther than the first so called high poly guy I showed you:))
    Arsh, I was going for the aerodynamic look:) haha jk, I see what you mean, I'll tweak that thanks.
    Slash, not sure if I will finish out a full body, but a beer gut would be cool:)
    Thanks again guys!
    Spark
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    I think you have the increased poly area on a layer that masked all other portions. Try selecting the base layer and then going up and down the levels.
    Very cool model!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark: You have to actually ctrl+d again on the lower levels to bring them up, you cant just pageup to go up. I didnt understand that either when i first started messing with that.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, I will try both of those suggestions and see if that does it:) Thanks for the info guys!

Spark
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to show an update, and the tips helped guys, thankyou. I tried adding projection mapped details to him, but my computer said NO! haha, need more ram for sure. Thanks for looking and the crits.

Spark
    [image]demonshot2gz4.jpg[/image]