Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hero Character [wip]

jonnyhr
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jonnyhr polycounter lvl 18
I've started a small project to give myself some assignments to build a portfolio.

Here is the current character I'm working on. I'm mainly finished with the mesh, but I would love to get some critique on it.. as I know there are some problems I just cant put my finger on. The mesh is 2650 triangles at the moment. I've also started texturing a bit. Its only the first pass though.

charMesh.jpg

theFace.jpg

MCtextureWip.jpg

So please comment and more importantly I need some solid and constructive critique. So make a mess of it wink.gif

Thanks in advance

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    its the solid snake of the fantasy world o_o

my only crit, would be to actually model on the ridge between his nose and his brow, not just texture it. cos it looks flat at the moment.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very nice face, love the mouth! The eyeball is a bit of a letdown tho. Try to get some more natural colors on it, and maybe bring down the white almost at the same value than skintones.

You might also want to drag the iris slightly inside the eyeball to give the eyes more life.

Very nice start! Can't wait to see some more of it.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    wow i love the texture great work its SCREAMING hero protagonist if you ask me ^^ and since i bet its supposed toi can only say GREAT WORK ! smile.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    sorry my contrast is crap and so is the white highlight, did it on a laptop I'm not used to. Just wanted to illustrate the point about bringing the iris inwards.

MCtextureWip_eye.jpg
  • jonnyhr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for your replies.

First of all I would like to apologize for my late reply. One should always prioritize such things as a portfolio, but school and work hasnt allowed me this of late. I iwll be available with more frequent updates soon however.

almighty_gir: Thanks for pointing that out. When looking at the model now, there are proabably a few places I should have meshed out on the body as well. I did do a quick concept sketch before I started, which I should have posted earlier for more comments on the actual mesh.

He's (B)
    charSketches.jpg

pior:
    Thanks a lot for the eyes smile.gif I've updated my model trying to get them right, they dont look quite as nice as yours yet though. I might consider making the UVs for the eyes larger, as they do have a bit much room at the moment, so I've got lots to spare. The reason being, I wasnt able to get the same amount of detail into them as you had in this picture. Thanks once more.

Here is an update though, as I mentioned above, I'm kinda seeing the importance of including things in my mesh rather than just textureing them. I think I went a bit overboard with the texture on his front, kinda look plastic, which I dont want. Also I'm seeing a lot of stretching on the arms, with the chainmail.

warby: Thanks for stopping by, and for the comment.

meshTexture01.jpg
  • Honolulu_Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honolulu_Ninja polycounter lvl 17
    Really like the texture on the face and the eyes look a lot better now on your latest post.
    Are you going to have normal maps later or is he only getting a diffuse?
    Hope to see more. smile.gif
  • Sharx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the face a lot, I can look at him and make an assumption about his personality. Since it is a WIP and the mesh looks fine to me, I don't have any crits at the moments. I hope to see a finished result some time soon.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'll join the no crits camp. Love to see more progress on this model, looking really great
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Face and chain are looking good so far. Keep it coming!
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    this is coming out nicely. let's see an update =D
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Hugh Jackman/Garry Sinize?
    Cool model smile.gif
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    Ive had a few problems with the loin cloth type clothing, and it looks like you might have the same kind of problem. The issue is when animating, if you dont have enough geometetry in the loin cloth then the legs start pokeing through. If you adjust the vertices weighting to move with the leg then it will start looking more and more awkward.

So, I would add some more geometery to the back side of the loin cloth. The front looks good.
  • jonnyhr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone.

character: I'm away at the moment but I'll get some updates up once I get back. I've redone the shoulderpad and finished the hair. ^^

zenarion : hehe :P could as well be. Thanks for the comment

Squirmy: Thanks for the heads up on that, I already discovered this half a week ago though when I decided to rig it. So more geometery already added. But thanks for pointing it out anyway smile.gif