Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

What's up next?

The corrugated metal building scene has drawn to a close...after the final few texture tweaks and lighting alterations..I've become satified, and will probably prep the pictures for the offical side of my website tomorrow...Started this new scene this mroning...will probably take my camera to work tonight and take pictures of the real parking garage...until then this is what I got.

pillar.jpg

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, looking good

A quick tip - poly in an edge where the the walls meet the ground, then apply an alpha blended edge dirt layer to these. This keeps the dirt off your wall textures (for tiling) but softens the edge where the two meet.
  • shagspear
    Offline / Send Message
    shagspear polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Wayne!
    Nice modeling and texturing. Aesthetically, I would say, dirty it up a bit more, give it more texture variation.

pillarcopyrj7.jpg

But my main critique is the structure itself. Probably to untrained eyes, it looks correct and alright, but it isn't.. beams SHOULD sit ontop of columns, taking the load down to ground. On your picture it just looks bizzare like some floating structure (a floating beam) that supports nothing, but add weight to the floor plate. So, (looking at picture - "circled" is where column should sit) put the column beneath the beams, not beneathe the floor plate.

Besides that glaring error, I think it's looking good. smile.gif
  • WayneAdams
  • shagspear
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks much better smile.gif Great work!!
  • WayneAdams
  • WayneAdams
    I am having a problem with my grease spots tho....The settings of the bump and reflect i can paly with...but why is it showing the whole plane (ever so slightly) my diffuse color is black, all my maps are using the alpha...this shouldn't be showing up.
    stupidgrease.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I'm guessing thats the spec or reflection showing up, not getting masked out properly.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have specularity on all the puddle? Max (which you might not be using) will usually still render the specularity, even when you use an alpha. if this is the case, dropping an alpha mash into the specularity slot USED TO work.
  • WayneAdams
    K, so figured out why my liquid was retarded...cause i was retarded..I had no alpha mask in the reflect map, fixed that...started playing with some leaves, and wall/floor dirt stuff...Still wrestling the texture on the red pipe/flange thing for the sprinkler system...was gonna do some posted signs tonight as well, but its morning already, and I'm headed for bed...so here's the progress so far.

garage2.jpg

garage6.jpg

G'night, folks.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like where you're going with the leaves, but as it stands they just don't look... right.

Scene is coming along beautifully, though
  • fritz
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i think the leaves just have too much of an angular border. perhaps if you throw some clumps of leaves and some single stragglers around the perimeter of the bunch...it'll look more natural.
  • WayneAdams
    updates updates updates
    garage7.jpg
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    I can think of a few details to help give you scene a little more realism. I wasn't sure how detailed you wanted to get but since you are adding water puddles, I am going to assume I can go nuts. Here we go:

Green: Your paint stripes are nice, you have the ware idea right, but not the patterning and hues. The paint's color will charge hue over time as well as wear. Not a lot but some. The doorway path would have less paint as well in the foot path. Even if the gate never opens, the wear path will real properly to the eye. Also near the wall the pain wont wear at all. Paint will also peel a bit, cope some small sections by the edges and place it on a layer. Set the blending on that layer to a small small drop shadow. Collapse the layer and edit as needed on the paint texture.

Blue: the bottom of the bars would be welded to a steel plate, not embedded in the concrete wall. Some are built like that but its not common. Attach the bars at the top. You can easily bend the bars with the leverage that they would give as shown. I would suggest building a steel window frame, just from cut steel plates and weld the bars into that. The box would be bolted and/or welded to anchor bolts that are embedded in the concrete. munge up the verts at the base of each bar to simulate some welding.

Orange: Dirt. you need lots more, especially in a garage like this. At every point at which the surface changes direction, horizontal and vertical, you will have a line of grime and dirt. Also where anything connects together, steel to concrete especially. There should be some grime streaks running from the steel plate on the window. A puddle of rust stains from where the pipe enters the concrete. That's another point, the pipe needs a hole to go into, then pack the hole with a rubber sheath. it protects the pipe from grinding the concrete when the two materials change temp. I see you did a little of that at the base of the wall texture, cheers on that.

Yellow: more rust streaks from the hinges, also thick weld points, please.

Red: get a Broom finish concrete texture. Make sure you use its textal scale properly. Figure how wide the concrete stripes are in real life and apply them realistically to your floor. the grit you have on there now looks a little big. also around the puddles the concrete will absorb the water and will be a darker fade ring around the damp and wet areas.

garage_crit.jpg
  • WayneAdams
    Didn't get to everything on ya'lls crit lists...but heres the progress for today...
    garage8.jpg

garage9.jpg

garage10.jpg

Well bedtime...the night shift awaits.
    See you guys later.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Can you show the wire shos of this? Are you using reference images? Can we see them? Right now everything is pretty bland looking. It looks as if your texture sources are desaturated images that you're simply filling a single colour overtop of with. r13 hit the nail on the head with his comments on adding more detail - it'll be crucial to making this a believable environment.

Also, I'd look in to some more dramatic lighting. Paying attention to the scenes lighting is good, but you want this to be exciting to look at. Anyone can copy environments or characters from real life - its what they do with it that matters. Right now I'm seeing some pretty bland lighting, which is definitly realistic to its setting. Theres things you can add without going overboard to create a sense of excitement. Different coloured lighting, a light source from a dropped flash light casting the shadow of a person, a light from ceiling that has come off one of its hinges but is still on, etc. are some ideas. If you go this route it'll be interesting to see what you come up with. I'd also look in to rendering an ambient occlusion version and overlaying it ontop of your scene in Photoshop like I did here. It'll help fill in some corners and create some contrast to your scene.

Keep it up.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    coming along nicely, the big things that i find weird is how red that pipe is, other is the lights on the ceiling, why are they diferent color if they are suposed to be tha same? also they are casting light on the top part of the cage and from the looks of it, the light cage would block the casting of ligh right above it.
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    I think you really need to push some aspect of this scene to save it from being boring. r13 made good suggestions for acheiving realism, but even if you followed them to the letter you'd still get a D- for atmosphere and excitment. Lighting is a good way to acheive those things; so are adding contrasting visual elements, aggressive changes in scale, suggestions of dramatic events, or challenging the realism of the scene with something unrealistic or otherworldly.

I'd also second Adam's suggestion of rendering with ambient occlusion/global illumination/final gather/radiosity/whatever you want to call it. doing so will add a lot of realism and atmosphere both.
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    dont forget cut lines in the concrete floor. they are usually centered on columns
  • Noonie
    Offline / Send Message
    Noonie polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Wayne. I like how this is going but I would agree this space feels very empty and lacks excitement. Maybe some trash cans and refuse on the ground strewn around / water and drainage gates on the floor? Graffiti was a good suggestion too. Parking signs and direction arrows on the wall? Maybe the whole 1b type thing?

Heres a couple links to some pics I found for ref. Hope it helps. Keep rockin the house.

http://pry.com/pics/ivrea/DSCN0931.JPG

http://www.shanejmontgomery.com/photos/garage.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    im liking it , what about a car covered in a tarpaulin as a centre peice. model a reall simple car mesh then use the reactor tool to create a cloth simulation, drop that over then render to a normal mapped low poly, would look cool, esp if you make it look as if theres sommit real special underneath.

also one think the sticks out to me is the edges of the leaves, its not the alpha you need to play with but on the diffuse you need to sxpand the colour of the leaves outwardto cover tha edges of the alpha as now you have a black halo that makes them POP just a bit too much.

nice work dude
  • Sabby
    Just to chip in on the leaves thing- I don't know if it's somnething you plan to do, but they have no density at the momeent. The should be piled into the corners and up against edges where the wind pushes them around, the should also be far more scattered.

for example -

http://realitytimes.com/rx_images/photojournal/roadleaves_nov0501.jpg

http://www.butuki.com/images/gingko_leaves_400.jpg

http://www.temporaldoorway.com/gallery/image/photo/leavesatthecurb.jpg

http://www.butuki.com/images/gingko_leaves_400.jpg

And some signage , like noonie mentioned wouldn't go amiss, some hazards for low beams, floor numbers, road markings , bay numbers/borders, tyre scrapes, paint scrapes on pillars, metal protecting plates on corners of pillars near ramps/exits.

Also various litter/trash under the stairwell, coke cans, crisp bags, take-away food wrappers and other detritus would be cool.
  • WayneAdams
    Been worn out from work..managed to get back on this today...After tonight I'm off for a few days so hopefully I can get back on top of it.

garage12.jpg

garage13.jpg

garage14.jpg

garage15.jpg

garage16.jpg
  • WayneAdams
    New Updates: 16 Sept 06

garage17.jpg

garage18.jpg

garage19.jpg

garage20.jpg

garage21.jpg
  • shagspear
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking much better...
    But here is still some crit.. I hope it does't sound like I am biting.

garage81ku3.jpg

garage191dj8.jpg

But really, I think it is looking much better. You don't really have to follow my comments I think it just gets into too much architectural side LOL
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    those are some good comments shagspear, the one thing i feel is missing is a focal point and that backgound sky texture just is out of place