Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Suggestions and help?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
zenarion polycounter lvl 17
I am in this dilemma. I want to model scary monsters, but have lacking knowledge in modeling. For example, i want to model the beast on the picture below, but how should i make the fur/hair??

domovoj.jpg

Replies

• fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    I guess that would depend on the type of model you want to build. If it's a monster with game specs, then I'd say you would add planes with hair texture and alpha around your model for the hair and fur that is sticking out and is visible in the silhouette; or if you wish to render it and have access to some hair or fur simulation systems, then it would be the way to go.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. I am going to build it as a monster for a Doom3 modification. And the technique you described sounds interesting. Not sure if i ever seen it done before though.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    actually I think that if you model the character just as a solid mesh and texture it with fur/hair it would be fine, then use the planes to add the extra volume on sections where you know the hair would come out away from the body and help determine the silouhette better, otherwise your charactr might get a little expensive from hundreds of planes. just my 2 cents
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright smile.gif I will start modeling this one during the weekend or something. Going to go with a mix of yelnuis and fogmann's methods.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Perhaps I didn't express myself precisely, but what yeluis said is pretty much what I had in mind for game specs model.