Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

self portrait (gaussworld)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
portrait3.jpg

yes, before you ask, i 'cheated' the hell out of this one. traced the photograph in ArtRage, then painted the whole thing in Painter IX, using the simple water brush, and kept the original photo on a second layer for reference. not very sporting, i know, but i was more interested in just developing certain areas and techniques than just spending much too long trying to get a likeness and proportions. start to finish about 3-4 hours (it was late, hard to say.) and as always, took it into Photoshop afterwards for color tweaking/levels/curves.

animated gif!
jackelapse.gif
i know, i totally ought to have saved about 3 more steps in the early stages, there's a huge jump in there laugh.gif

overall i'm pretty happy with it, even if i was perhaps a bit too accurate in depicting my patchy facial hair. the next one i'll be doing "the right way".

and of course this whole post is just a cross-promotional effort for the world trip i'm undertaking shortly.

Replies

• Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    You know you kinda look like Capt. Malcolm Reynolds.
    nathan-fillion.jpg
  • MAUL0r
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    doh! now I can't just imagine you look like boomer frown.gif
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Horrible, looks nothing like the photo, go back and try again. wink.gif

(swank dude, it'd be cool to see what concepts you could throw on your portrait!)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Gauss, good stuff as always.
    Although, you seem to have "corrected" the slightly crooked smile seen in the reference photograph, which is part of the charm & character of your face.

Now your lips are ever so slightly parted, and more of an eliptical shape, rather than the crooked "s" shaped smirk.
    Also something about the right eye falls flat for me. I think you need to darken the red/pink conjunctiva and add soem more volume to the scalera of the right eye. Also, you seem devoid of eyelashes... While they may be sparse (like your facial hair) its worth representing them I feel as the eyes really sell a likeness.

Edit: I got bored and did a quick paintover illustrating my points. I really hope you dont mind.
    gauss_paintover.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    firefly Owns!

And that's definitly a good painting man ! smile.gif
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    hmm. you should try one "front on" - this one makes your face look all lop-sided.

harsh crit copyright 2006 dadako enterprises.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    You should submit it to the Concept Tag thread, to see what you'll end up like after a few Photoshops : )
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Scooby's crit nailed my beef on the head. The "corrections" you (gauss) made to your smile completely flattened out the area around the mouth. I think in addition to the bend Scooby added, it could benefit from a smidgeon of lighting, whether present in the photo or not, to show that your mouth isn't a texture on a flat plane.

poop.gif
  • Sidwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Sidwell polycounter lvl 18
    I guess you haven't met gauss in person, or you'd know that his mouth, in fact, *is* a texture on a flat plane. It's a little odd the first time you see it.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess you haven't met gauss in person, or you'd know that his mouth, in fact, *is* a texture on a flat plane. It's a little odd the first time you see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have met Gauss in person, and I can assure you that his mouth is three-dimensional enough to purse his lips into an "O" shape.

poop.gif
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Luxury: haha! flattering angle, then. i certainly do not share the man's heroic jawline laugh.gif

maulor: but what if my head is just a dummy head, and there's a bright green spherical robot that controls me from within the hollow of my chest?

ebagg: yeah, i'd like to move beyond such a rote rendition.

Scoob: props man, thanks for the excellent crit. as you can see from the last step in my progress .gif, i really didn't quite get enough red into my face. both in the skin but especially around the eyes--saaaay, you must work with photoshop a lot laugh.gif
    i did intentionally correct my lopsided smile, because for some reason i wasn't sure if the overall expression was going to read as friendly. that's pretty silly, i know, and it does look better with the original expression.
    the piece took me 3-4 hours and i just wanted to get it out the door... but i think i may have to come back and do your suggested alterations. thanks for taking the time.

thanks Renaud, and Firefly does indeed own smile.gif

hawken: tell me about it. i realized that when i flipped the image horizontally as i was working on it--i swear, i'm as nominally symmetrical as the next guy, but that picture somehow makes me look lopsided. probably having to do with the fact i took it myself. sigh.

ComradeJ: now THAT is a scary thought laugh.gif

poop: yeah, the mouth was one of the areas that i knew i just wasnt working up to the level that i should, i got antsy and said done. if i do tweak it, i'll restore the original expression and spend a little more time on the lighting, as per scoob's crit.
    my crit for your second response is to spend a little more time thinking past the first or second most obvious responses to a joke. ahahahhahaha
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    You have a jawline? I dont remember one form last time...