Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jack Steam SDK; portfolio c&c

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
Final wire for Jack:
jack_steam_wire1.pngjack_steam_wire2.png

I'm going to try and put him in UT2, but at the moment I'm trying to figure out the best way to lay down my UVs. In this awesome video (I really like the music smile.gif), the guys broke up the wires to fit nicely, then they somehow patched it back together seamlessly for painting. How did they do this?

Lastly... can you guys crit my portfolio? The gallery is empty, so I just want input on the general design and layout. I'd really appreciate it!
Cheers.

EDIT: see last post for SDK link

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hum...he is loking cool, altho i think i would go for a more bulky legs. those tothpick legs seem they would crack with that weight on top of him.. plus. when running i dont think they would work..

Regarding you portfolio.. there are no images to see. :P
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, bitmap. This is the concept I built it from, not my own:

2d_bot.jpg

The only images are Jack and the logo. If you click on "Gallery" you'll see an empty gallery, which is what I was referring to. But can you see the model and the logo?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I can't see anything, when I click on the WIP gallery that has 2 items in it, it shows me nothing.

Also, you might want to keep the personal stuff to a different site or not link it on the portfolio. The disclaimer about hiring/not hiring you based on the personal section isn't really appropriate or beneficial.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can't see anything, when I click on the WIP gallery that has 2 items in it, it shows me nothing.

Also, you might want to keep the personal stuff to a different site or not link it on the portfolio. The disclaimer about hiring/not hiring you based on the personal section isn't really appropriate or beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm fixing the gallery. I think you're right about the personal section. I just removed it.
  • Ramza24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramza24 polycounter lvl 18
    What's the tri count? He seems a little boxy at the moment. The concept is wicked tho.
  • KonamiCode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonamiCode polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the torso and arm designs, but I agree with bitmap's comment about bulking up the legs, I'd maybe do it from the knees down? It would help balance out the contrast of shapes in the overall look/silhouette of the character.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    I think the legs in contrast to the torso are what make it interesting. If you start to bulk up the legs it just become another robot.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I like this but here's my crit and take it or leave it, but I thik it would help the design:
    Those Clamps that seem to be at the tips of the hip, bring them closer to the ribcage and the actual little hip structure you have going, and turn them forward just a bit.
    then the actual thighs, will feel more like thighs.
    put a slight bend in the Knee to give it weight, and bring the feet back to untill it looks balanced.
    I think that will help the design feel more study and solid, while still keeping your contrast between the bulky torso and skinny legs.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'd like to see some kind of mechanism that explains how the joints move.. they just look like unpowered hinges. great overall feel to it however!
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit, didn't see these other comments in time. I finalized the mesh and already unwrapepd him:
    JackSteam.jpg
    Feelin frisky? Here's the SDK if you want to mess with him yourself. FBX file, PNG texture, with PSD source texture including wires. ALL I ASK is that you send me your texture (corey@coldconstructs.com - or post it full rez) and that I can use it if I like it (of course I'll give proper credit).

Cheers
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    really cool design smile.gif