Home General Discussion

arabs arrested for buying too many cellphones....

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
linK: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/13/news/cell.php

So... lets see here. Apparently the cops found some arab dudes with a thousand cell phones in their car, so, they arrested them for trying to blow up a bridge. yea...

Now, it may be true that you can use a cellphone as a detonator, but you only really need one... so maybe they were gonna plant a thousand bombs on the bridge and then call each cell phone one after another to detonate their bombs. Might take a while. A radio transmission would be better for setting off a ton of bombs simultaneously.

So, whose expecting a lawsuit at the end of this?

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.overcriminalized.com/studies/2004.01_ZT2.html

the law has made dumb mistakes before,, really nothing nothing new, but of course if 2 hours later a bridge blew up and then people found out that these guys were stopped and then released, people would be "why the hell did they not check into someone having a thousand cell phones!!"

no ones ever perfect, and quiet often they are dumb
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    did you read the article you linked to? it said the 3 men were texan...they were in michigan when arrested....
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I love how you got the story wrong aesir, I hope you're not as relaxed when it comes to attention to detail in your own work.

best thing would be to lock this shit up, the majority of us read news websites I'm guessing.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    heh, my bad. I'll re-edit my post.

but hawken... really... that jab was kinda pointless
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    An arab with this many cellphones in his trunk wouldn't even raise an eyebrow 'round here, most cellphone traders (on fleamarkets or in privately owned, often run-down stores) are turks (which count as arabs, don't they?).
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I've been hearing about this through the last week because of my location wink.gif They have family here in Michigan... I saw a sister interviewed. The news here is reporting that they were Palistinian.... and they were arrested in Ohio, NOT Michigan.

The sister said that they were just selling cell phones, but I don't think there is anything wrong with what the police are doing. Just as Rhinokey suggested, if you don't do anything, and something happens, then there is hell to pay.

For those who aren't aware, one of the highest concentrations of middle-eastern citizens in the US, are here in Dearborn Michigan. There has been many connections to money and terrorist activities from this area. Obviously this doesn't mean you should arrest everyone, but I do think caution is warrented.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060814/ap_on_re_us/phones_terror_charges

So basically our now police state goverment can and will arrest anyone they think has even the slightest bit of suspicion regardless if they have hard evidence or not . Sort of like a city policeman arresting a black guy standing on a corner " Oh he must be selling drugs " . This is going to get way out of control real fast .
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you don't do anything, and something happens, then there is hell to pay.

Great idea, let's do some preemptive strikes against terror. Who needs evidence when a hunch is enough? Let's start with arresting all those who disagree with the government, the troublemakers are going to be among them. Something bad could happen if we don't do that!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    KDR, you just put Germany on the LIST! dun dun DUNNNNN!! laugh.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Germany was already on the list; they didn't support the Iraq war. But I guess it's understandable that they would be reluctant to participate in the preemptive invasion of a nation of semitic people... *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* say no more.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Germany is forbdden by law to start or participate in a war of agression and every citizen is required to do his best to prevent such a war. So says the constitution.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Now, it may be true that you can use a cellphone as a detonator, but you only really need one... so maybe they were gonna plant a thousand bombs on the bridge and then call each cell phone one after another to detonate their bombs. Might take a while.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Techincally if you can turn a cell phone into a detenator, you might be smart enough to clone 1,000 phones so they all go off at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
    So, whose expecting a lawsuit at the end of this?

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on how many Lawyers read that article.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not surprised the way my statement was taken, because as usual, people take it to the extreme rather than what I meant. They had a bunch of cell phones that are typically used in terrorist acts because they are untraceable, and they had pictures of the Mackinaw bridge. That is evidence to cause suspicion, not they ethnicity. I didn't mention they were Palistinian because of profiling, I was just clarifying the article. So no, they weren't a few arabs on the street corner who were just arrested because they MAY be terrorists. Way to make a totally disconnected example.

Again, I have no problems with them arresting them to question them further... should they be imprisoned? Probably not longer than it takes to question them, unless more is discovered.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notman, you don't seem to understand the distinction between being arrested and being detained. When you're simply detained, the police cuff you and bring you into custody for questioning (you're not charged with any crime); when you're arrested, criminal charges are filed against you and you're brought before a court to plead your case. Very big difference.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Detained is more of what I meant... but technicalities with wording are not what I was getting at wink.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a hell of a lot more than just a "technicality." These men weren't just brought in for questioning, they were charged with a CRIME. Think about that for a second... they where charged with a crime because they had a bunch of phones and a photograph. That's what this discussion is about, not about whether or not they should have been suspects brought in for questioning.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    heh, my bad. I'll re-edit my post.

but hawken... really... that jab was kinda pointless

[/ QUOTE ]

point was to show that sloppiness can be reflected in ones communication.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I have no problem with this.
    I think the next time I see someone DRIVING with a cell phone glued to their ear, I am calling Homeland Security!

Problem solv-ed laugh.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think the next time I see someone DRIVING with a cell phone glued to their ear, I am calling Homeland Security!

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i should have thought of that when i saw a guy riding on his motorcycle talking with cell phone in hand. O.O
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i should have thought of that when i saw a guy riding on his motorcycle talking with cell phone in hand. O.O

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually snemmy, I think that one might end up solving itself through natural selection.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's a hell of a lot more than just a "technicality." These men weren't just brought in for questioning, they were charged with a CRIME. Think about that for a second... they where charged with a crime because they had a bunch of phones and a photograph. That's what this discussion is about, not about whether or not they should have been suspects brought in for questioning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're saying... I sort of strayed from the original topic while defending my statement to McIlroy. That's where I was coming from about the detaining/arresting. I meant detaining in reference to the profiling, not necessarily to this case.
    I was also given further info in this morning's news. Supposedly they had airport security manuals also. At this point I don't know how much is news myth though. I did hear they were release and the charges were dropped now, as I suspected would happen.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    So let me get this straight - some of you are up in arms because some men of Middle Eastern descent were detained and charged because they were doing something suspicious? Spin it any way you want, but Middle Eastern men with 1000 cellphones, a picture of a bridge, and airport security manuals is about as fucking suspicious as it gets. Now if these people would have blown something up, why do I get the feeling that the same people being critical of the arrest would be saying "why didn't we do anything?". Seems like the goverment just cannot win with some people, no matter what they do. I guess that is to be expected in an artistic, anti-establishment arena such as Polycount, but c-mon people, lets not get carried away. These are *not* normal times. As much as some of you won't believe it, we are indeed at war, and that is not just the United States vs Terrorism, it's pretty much *all* western culture vs Muslim Extremists. You can put your heads in the fucking sand, but this shit is happening.

Of course it's easy to be an armchair quarterback and say, "they should have done this", or "should have done that" from the safety of your computer in what you perceive to be a somewhat safe haven. Question everything right? Of course, we should question it, but do it with an open mind.

People, (especially younger people) are eager to criticize "profiling". Well too fucking bad. Who is trying to blow up airplanes and strapping bombs to themselves in public places to target innocent civilians? It surely isn't some 80 year old woman from Pennsylvania, and it isn't the black homeless crack addict on the streets of New York, and it's not some white redneck from Texas(well usually not), it's YOUNG MIDDLE EASTERN MEN(and more women lately). Sure it sucks totally innocent people get caught in the crossfire, but people, we have little choice!

Now you can go on blaming the U.S and British goverment for whatever you wish, but get one thing straight - none of this would be happening if not for 21 Muslim Extremests hijacking three jetliners and crashing them into buildings on U.S. soil and killing thousands of innocent people. If you are angry with anything, you should be angry with them for igniting this age of paranoia.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ...yeah and even more angry to know that the usa didnt seem to have done nothing to prevent/stop it.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    People, (especially younger people) are eager to criticize "profiling". Well too fucking bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Racial/ethnic profiling is never a good solution or basis for acting because it prevents integration. Certainly young arab men are behind a lot of the current plots (at least, the publicized ones), but if we make that demographic a target for all suspicions, accusations, and scrutiny, do you honestly think that's the best way to stop MORE crimes from those people themselves?
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...yeah and even more angry to know that the usa didnt seem to have done nothing to prevent/stop it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are angrier at the US government because they did not stop 9/11, than at Al Quaeda themselves? That makes little sense to me.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i did not say that. i said that it even makes me ANGRIER , that there was little to no prevention.

edit : might be a syntax problem , this is a stupid way to show but i cant explain better : we were 100% pissed thanks to the attackes, but like + 50% ( 150% ) pissed because of tht.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hindsight is great isn't it?

I wish I could send a message back in time and tell myself that two planes will slam into a pair of sky scrapers and it won't be because of mechanical failure. I bet I would just pass it over and keep going on with my life.

Knowing what I know now, that piece of paper could save millions, but honestly I would have thought you where nuts until 9/11. It's funny how we expect recent events to change the way we thought about things before those events happened. I would like to think the goverment was as paranoid as it is now about terrorist attacks, but it wasn't.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    This arrest was warrented IMO,thats alot of red flags,if they were planning on attacking attacking charge em and send em to jail,if not let em go.

As for racial profiling the practice itself is flawed,you dont look towards people we dont expect you could miss a chance to stop an attack. Oklahoma definatly is a good example of that,people thought arabs, instead it was a few white guys. Not to mention all the other places which has people not exactly too friendly to the Usa like in South America for instance.

Johny i get where your coming from and i agree,im pissed with the 9/11 people who began this shit but pissed as well at Bush and co for not doing anything to stop it. Like the Cia report "Osama Bin Ladin determined to strike the Us" which was ignored and the Fbi whistleblower who tried to tell them Mousarris suspicious enrollment in flight school.

Thats why im so damn agaisnt giving up personal freedoms to fight terror,dont ask for more damn powers if you didnt use the ones you had in the first place.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    I wish Superman was here.
    superman.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    isnt that the superman who jumped out of a window to kill himself?
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    he actually shot himself frown.gif