Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Quick online gallery for a job interview

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
This is a quick gallery I whipped up for a second job interview at an Urban Design studio. It was just a coppermine photo gallery that I plugged in via my website's control panel, I just wanted something simple and fast. Let me know what you think: linkatude

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I like alot of the content, the layout works, but the image sizes just seem too small. I'm guessing a huge amount of detail is lost because of the scaling of the images...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can click for a full size view, I might need to just title each image in the gallery "click for full view".
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    That's one thing I didn't like about most of the php galleries, which I considered putting on my site: have to click too many times to get to the full size image. It would be cool if you could get to see the full size right after you click the thumbnail.
    Your work is very solid, some of the 3D is perhaps a bit too dark (or it's just the afternoon glare on my monitor). I especially like your 2D pieces. Good luck with the interview!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I don't like how when you are in full size image view and you click 'next' or 'previous' image, then you temporarily see the tumbnails again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop > File > Automate > Web Gallery > Upload and fini~
    That way it looks a touch more profesional/independant and not so "I needed free hosting services help to get a job"
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz: thumbs are on each page, what you're probably seeing is the slight delay before the large image is loaded
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: but... it's.... using... FRAMES!!!

I was learning CSS to do it all nice but then I realized that they wanted it yesterday.

So Daz the Elder Wolf has 100 views, you buncha damned furries.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Thats because Daz teh Eldor Wolfboy is your best model, atleast from a quick glanze.

BTW furry is not the one who looks at furry but the one who makes furry.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well turns out me not knowing autocad is a sticking point as well as not having any professional experience, so I'm not too happy driving 4 hours to the interview tomorrow :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Vig: but... it's.... using... FRAMES!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Frames, shames... It landed me a job without having to learn a whole bunch of crap I never had any interest in learning. Sometimes you just gotta keep it simple. At the end of the portfolio review they are looking at your art not your site code.

If your up for learning all that HTML/CSS stuff and enjoy it cool! Go for it! But you gotta ask yourself, in the time it took me to learn and make this stuff could I have busted out 1-2 new pieces that really show off what I can do? Could I have used those new pieces to tailor my portfolio to specific studios I am looking to apply at? How felexible is the site? In a year if you want to give it a new look can you change just a few things?

Since you have gone this far I would stick with it. It's looking pretty good =)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple stupid

more is not = to better.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, I brought my laptop along and it seemed to go pretty good... but it isn't an industry job frown.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided not to take the job. My gallery though, is it good enough to get an introductory job somewhere? It seems like any job I have just seems to suck all the life out of me so I can't work on my 3d. I'd be happy making children games or hunting sims. I'm just ready to give up.