Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

=Cavallo=

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
konstruct polycounter lvl 18
hey

So I’m almost to the point where I can start an unwrap, but I’d like some input for something’s because I feel like I’m getting stale.

Ideas for:
A: some sort of asymmetrical flare,
B: something to stick on his back

Some pretty sweet stuff goes down in these boards and I’m hoping to absorb the steeze.

CAVALLO.jpg
and yes I said steeze.

heres to hoping I can finish this one-

Replies

• spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I like what your doing, but I'd like to see him beefed up - his limbs feel thin and quite delicate. However I imagine the character to be quite aggressive, needing firm, strong support.
    I think a bit if id influence would work a treat on this guy, super exagerated anatomny on all the fleshy area's. Give him the beef
    Wheres the BEEF? smile.gif
    good work so far!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    for assymetrical design:
    - some kind of mechanics making up half his skull (instead of all bone)
    - lopside his form (one side bigger, more built.. a prefered side for attack or defense)
    - defensive / attacking attachments

as for the back:
    - armor
    - holstered shield / weapon
    - vents
    - some kind of hooking mechanism for him to latch onto a larger carrier machine

Totally awesome design! smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    one of the most interesting models i've seen in a while, nice work. i wouldn't go around changing much at all, nor worrying much about incorporating asymmetry. if it doesnt work, don't try and push it.

i say just keep going with the very unusual material sense you've developed for the model so far. the upper arms and of course the lower spine could use some reinforcement, but i really love the mechanical bits and the legs.

am i reading it right when i take it to be almost wholly robotic but with a skeleton mixed in? anyhow, keep us updated.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    i really like this one, lookin' forward to seeing it textured. Super Eerie cybernetic horror demon
    maybe see what he looks like with bigger/longer finger knives?
    awesome website btw smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I can definately see a bunch of these guys getting smashed to pieces in a beatemup.. that would be sweet. It looks like there could be a lot of them, in which case I dont think the asymmetry is neccecarry
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K, added a bunch of stuff to his back and upper arms.
    I guess this round it would be nice to know if it seems too busy, and also if it fits with the rhythm of it as opposed to just looking stuck on

cavallo_01.jpg

thanks for the feedback it was actually really helpful.

spacemonkey: I guess I’m going for sort of an skinny emaciated look, but I hope the new medical brace stuff adds a little beef. I guess its mor like ham tho ...ha

flaagan: Awesome input- it was just what I needed to get moving again on this. I really like the oversized arm idea, reminds me of those weird fiddler crabs you see, I worked this one into the ground though and I just couldn’t get it to look right-

gauss: yep you nailed it, except I’m trying to get some sort of odd, almost medical look to the machinery, because I need to break away from high-tech stuff

steady: hey thanks for being curious and checking out the site. I tried the long fingers before I posted the first round, and again I couldn’t get it looking quite right so I settled with the stubby fingers instead.

rooster: after playing with it a bunch, yeah, not necessary. there will probably be some asymmetry in the texture for sure, like I plan to have the forarms all bandaged up towards the hand, but I think symmetry kind of forces a cult,satan type vibe. ...dunno, could be wrong
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    That's pretty cool. Maybe animate it asymmetrically for that extra bit of character? Maybe it leads with one side and sort of drags the other.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome. Looks like it should be fast laugh.gif
    Here is a crappy paint over suggestion.
    mechxk3.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Xaltar.. I like the cyber bit, but I think it'd look good without the eye; having the empty eye sockets gives it a kind of hollow or soulless look that compliments the mechanical / bone mix.

konstruct.. lookin cool, keep it up! Glad my input helped smile.gif
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blowing the dust off this one-
    any input would be greatly appreciated as I`m swimming in some unknown territory at this point.

cavallo_HP.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    nice work no crits from me smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey cool, sort of reminds me of some of the art from the suffering.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make his forearm bigger than his wrist!! laugh.gif - beef up a few of those muscle groups as his forearm/legs feel quite cylindrical in overall mass.
    go go go wink.gif
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update / Bump
    Diff map done, just have to make the rest of the maps then into UE3 with it!
    Cavallo_Diff.jpg

EarthQuake:
    yeah I sorta was inspired by that game when I first sketched this up- the whole no feet thing n all.

spacemonkey:
    Per128 :

thank for the input, its always nice to have multiple people say the same thing. It really helps hammer in whats wrong.

as for the cylindrical nature of the limbs, I`m going to try and play with some verts, but this model has been in the oven for WAY too long. I didn't want to backtrack that far. because I sorta want to get this done, haste makes waste, but free time projects suffer from that everynow and then- frown.gif

also I realize this thing would have to be in constant motion if it were going to actually exist and not fall on its ass- but meh- I guess I`m going for a bit of a"weird"
    vibe.
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    could always like, totally dig its feet into the ground to stand up, maybe.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    those are like totally the kind of feet that id choose if i had to walk over piles of corpses all day and he clearly does

looking great keep the feet !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it!
    I agree with Tim, that you need to push the muscle silhouette shapes a bit more.

I say keep the feet, make the middle finger blades longer and tell the animation department he runs on all 4 limbs. Balance issued resolved.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally finished this- onto something new (thank god)

cav-Charsheet.jpg
    cav-Mats.jpg

also I decided to see what it looked like in ue3- Way more flat that I would have hoped frown.gif wondering if anyone would know anything about making it pop a bit more from a presentation stand point?

Cavued_01.jpg
    Cavued_02.jpg
    Cavued_03.jpg
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey konstruct its good to see you finally get to that finishing post.

In ue3 do you have the normal map set to the right compression? - it looks like it has no dpeth.

On the spec - green spec for red blood? no, at least not for me. I'd like to see a white/blue with a tight shine giving those bloody areas a slick feeling

Your spec colour is very flat in value - its not only representing colour! Its also what determines the specular value. smile.gif Throw a constant into the spec colour channel and play with the value - or better still a vector parameter (I think that has rgb colour) and tweak the colour and value settings. I found that if I got stuck on spec related stuff I'd throw a constant into the spec power channel and a vector parameter into the spec colour slot of try to find values that work for each of the areas.
    Once you get a good understanding of how you want the spec values to work, head back to photoshop and tweak things up.

Keep tweaking things, he's pretty close now smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome result, but like spacemonkey said, it's reading really flat in UE3. Get that specular map working.

Love the character design.

poop.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I agree with ben and Spacemonkey. The flats look good, and the model looks good, but in-engine the materials look really flat. Fix!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah-HA! okay i did a little digging and now I understand what the "spec power" map is for. I feel like a tool. Going to crank on this s`more.

also I havent really messed too much with spec color theory I have an understanding of how it works, but it seems like it can get kinda tricky.

I remeber seeing a tutorial a while back for a strogg character from quake 4, but I dont remeber where I had found it. does anyone have this book marked?

also if anyone else has any links on this subject it would be MUCH appreciated
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also realized there is a post process effect that is de-sat-ing the whole scene 50%

>_<
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    creepy, horrific, AND great =)
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    The texture work is top notch man, are you planning on modeling any friends for him...Good work
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tweaked the spec / specpower maps so it looks like slick wetness. also made the blood spec blue- (good advice)
    taking off the post process effect is what made the biggest difference though. 50% desat was killing it.

Cavued_01.2.jpg
    Cavued_02.2.jpg
    Cavued_03.2.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    badass

spec tweaks made a huge difference
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Uber cool.
    Love it. All that kind of models remind me of Magdalena ^^
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6PxN2sgbZDU the feet are fine, its bio mechanical and has a super sense of balance. probably better than this old man.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for that rhino- Just the reassurance I needed :P
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    looks sweet! cool stuff mang
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good man! smile.gif I like a second spec pass on my metal - a tight shine in the real spec and I add a phong spec masked out to the diffuse to suggest broader reflections (metal)

worth the wait!