Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anquid - The Angler Fish\Squid\Man Thingy!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Hey, I'd love if I could get some critiques for this guy. In particular the texture, but any critiques would be great. laugh.gif

His texture is still a WIP. 1192 polys.

render1.jpg
wires.jpg

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the tentacles seem really stringy, pushing himm more of a jellyfish look than a squid,, i would suggest that a sqid lower half the tentacles be about the same thickness as the arms, and not flat on the ends, thhey are also varying thichnesses all around. keep working and keep improving.
  • Oddmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oddmind polycounter lvl 17
    texture wise I dont see any real highlights, just shadows and mids.

This would be alright if is were going to be normaled, but just for a diffuse I think you need a bit more variation.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point Rhino. I'd originally looked at a picture of a squid that had more spindly tentacles in the front, but now that I look at more pictures I see what you mean.

And yea, I seem to have a problem putting in proper highlights. A bit much to ask, but any chance that someone could do a really quick paintover, just to show me where the highlights are missing?

Anyways, thanks for the critiques. smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Probably the worst paintover I've ever done, but throwing it out here anyway...

tulk-po.jpg

I'd size the head down, and scale up the fins on his arms and head. Basically exaggerate the parts that are making it interesting. Also what rhinokey said about the tentacles, they look more like spaghetti at the moment.

With the texture, what you need right now is more colour variation, lots of it ... right now he's all one shade of green with some lighter or darker bits. Get some reds and blues in there, wherever seems appropriate or looks best. Usually highlights should be warmer, shadows cooler, so use that as a starting point.

Stay away from black, I'm aware the render probably has gouraud shading demolishing it, but work fully self-illuminated (100% diffuse texture, no lights), that'll help you get the ambient shading right. Only use the tiniest amounts of really dark colour for flesh. If you go fairly dark, make them saturated and interesting tones.

Also, your arm mesh is looking really boxy at the moment, add a few polys to round out the silhouette, narrower and curvier would be a huge improvement and wouldn't add too many polys. In fact you could probably strip out some of the tubular segments and use that to define more silhouette form.

Just some ideas... sorry about the paintover, it was a 2-minute hack job.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry? Haha, that was great MoP, just what I'd wanted. Thank you very much, I have a way better idea of what to do tot his guy now. smile.gif

It's due tomorrow though, so I'm not sure I'll get all the fixes in. frown.gif

Luckily, I believe the next assignment is to do a higher poly version of the same model that we did in this assignment, so anything I don't get to fix meshwise now will get fixed then.

Thanks again man. smile.gif