Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Victor-Ryan Character Model - WIP

Hello Everyone, Let me start by introducing myself since I am new to the forums. I'm about to graduate and am working on assets for my Demo Reel. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and criticisms.

Victor-Ryan is a Character I'm currently working on. Ultimately I will texture, Rig, Animate, and Implement this character in engine (Virtools Dev) as a prototype for my portfolio.

Here is the original Concept piece for the model. vr_concepttb.jpg

When modeling this piece, my target polycount was between 4000 and 5000 tris. I decided to spend a little extra on the Hair and also modeled the character's Sword. The final Count came to 5656 tris. This represents 12 hours of work.

Wires

vr_fronttb.jpgvr_34viewtb.jpgvr_backtb.jpgvr_facewirestb.jpg

I opted to model much of the base geometry for the character. Here are shots with superficial geometry hidden.

vr_nopantsfronttb.jpgvr_nopantsbacktb.jpg
I still need to go through and properly set up my Smoothing Gruops. After that I will proceed to unwrap and texture the character. I'm planning on the character's textures space to be Two 512 Diffuse maps, one Normal Map, and One specularity Map.

Again, any comments or suggestions are welcomed and encouraged. ^_^

Replies

• conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, Victor.
    mmmmm, "cheractor"?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Thats solid looking.

How many sides are there on the leg? I think I counted about 12, but it's hard to tell. To be honest, for the overal polygon density of the model, any more that 8 sides on a limb is probably overkill.

He might be a bit knockkneed.

One thing you will want to do is to creep the deltoids further down the arm - the actual muscle stops about 1/2way down the upper arm.

Why 2 diffuse maps and only 1 normal/spec map?
  • Oddmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oddmind polycounter lvl 17
    as rick said, the legs should be a bit less detailed. I like to use 5 or 7, to have that definition without more detail.

the edgeflow however is pretty nice, doesnt look detailed anough to be 5.5k to me.

again 2 diffuse and 1 of specular and normal seems kind of wierd, unless half of the model gets a normal map and spec and the other half doesnt, either that or just alot less detail. I would reccomend using just one big 1024x1024 diffuse, there seems to be alot of detail to be covered on the concept image.
  • SheriffNotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Everyone, thanks for the feedback so far.

@Ashat - yeah, that's a spelling bug that pops up for me from time to time, now fixed.

@Rick_Stirling - The Upper legs are 8 sided. The Calfs pick up 2 edges at the knee and are 10 sided. He is alittle knockneed but that was consistant with the leg referance I used. I'll bring those in alittle bit so they read beter. I will also move the Deltoid down as you suggested

@Oddmind - I'll play with taking out an edge or two from the lower legs and see if I'm still happy with the results.

As for my texture plans, I felt Normal maps for the objects that are Alpha Maped or otherwise not very visible (Hair, Geometry under Hair, bottom of shoes) don't really need a normal map so why include one? I want to get as much bang for my visual memory buck as possible so to speak. If at all possible I would like to keep his total texture space at or below 1024x1024 total. 2 diffuse, 1 normal and 1 spec at 512 do that (Although since spec is a gretscale image, I could probably cram an Occlusion and Paralax map into my other channels. That will depend on the functionality of the HLSL Shader I end up using.) This is just a personal limit so I could change it if I find it's just too limiting.

I'll post updates alittle later today, keep it commin' ^o^
  • SheriffNotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the first round of updates.

vr_update01tb.jpgvr_update02tb.jpg

I tried to cut down the edges in the legs, but they all effect the Silhouette quite a bit. I decided I would have to completely rebuild the lower legs to make it look right (which I don't think is worth the 16-30 polygons it would save.) I would like to do some poly optimization, but most of that will be in the face and hair, both of which are comparatively very detailed. Also note that the poly count includes the sword.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Any chance of a side view? It's hard to tell, but he looks like he might be a bit flat and pigeon-chested from the shots I've seen.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I think the legs are too short. Normally, the crotch is the middle of a body, while on your model, it's lower than that.
  • SheriffNotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ CheeseOnToast - Side View included in this round of updates (see below). He is a little pigeon chested, but this is because he's wearing a chest plate which adds a little bulk there. Any suggestions on a better approach are of course encouraged tongue.gif

@ ComradeJ - His legs were shorter then his torso, the half/half ratio isn't a hard fast rule, there are exceptions (usually in short people who can have slightly shorter legs)Although I originally made his legs shorter to emphasize his upper body a bit, I opted to lengthen them in this update. Sometimes an idea or "Style" doesn't read the way you would like and I'm not afraid to ditch something that isn’t working in a model. Let me know if you like the new Ratio Better.

Here is a much larger round of changes. Most of them are related to helping the character read as more masculine. Although it is supposed to be an effeminate man, I want to make sure he at least reads AS a man.

My changes should reflect the other feedback I've been getting from the various communities. Overall I have taken some of the "style" out of the model (especially the eyes which have been reduced in size significantly.

I'm also considering some design changes. The back felt very plain to me so I added the two pieces to the back, I would appreciate your opinions on these.

vr_34ud1tb.jpgvr_frontud1tb.jpgvr_sideud1tb.jpgvr_backud1tb.jpg

vr_nopantsud1tb.jpg

vr_facefrontud1tb.jpgvr_facesideud1tb.jpg

Once I'm really satisfied with the geometry, it will be texture time.

Any other feed back is of course greatly appreciated ^_^!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You might want to correct the spelling errors on those sheets before they end up in your demo reel smile.gif (cheractor and sheith)

Anyway, I think he looks a little strange. Sorry, I dont mean to dishearten you after you've gotten some previously positive comments here, but there are many funky things about the model and there is eons of room for for improvement I think. Here's some stuff that grabs me:

The body is *very* rigid seeming overall, particularly in side view. Check out this model for some ideas on getting some somewhat more dynamic, interesting and aesthetically appealling forms in there: http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=125067&an=0&page=3#Post125067

The head is very strange. I understand that you're going for somewhat of a style here, but still that front and particularly that profile are pretty odd. It's a very triangular face for a man in the front view, and the side views mouth is a long way forward from the eyes. Check out some front and side views of human beings.

Also, the actual eye socket arrangement is really odd too. Are you putting eyeballs in there, or just painting them straight on? I really feel like a model of this resolution needs eye geometry, and beyond that, some kind of definition of eyelids. Right now, there are none. Just these sort of big smooth hollows. It looks a little spooky, and nothing like human eyes.

I feel like you're totally modeling from your head, and that stylized or no, checking out some human ref. could really help you out here. Keep at it!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like he is going for an anime look and feel. The jaw and mouth seem to be way too far forward, it almost looks like the head is tilted up. That profile could use a lot of work. You should try moving the top of the head forward to ballance the proflie out. As Daz said, look at some human heads and try to get your bone structure right. Its one thing being stylized but another being disproportioned. Also the legs seem to be too far appart or too thin, it looks like he has spent to much time on a horse. Try thickening the legs a bit and bringing them closer togeter.

You have a nice model going there, with some work it could be great wink.gif
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    @ ComradeJ - His legs were shorter then his torso, the half/half ratio isn't a hard fast rule, there are exceptions (usually in short people who can have slightly shorter legs)Although I originally made his legs shorter to emphasize his upper body a bit, I opted to lengthen them in this update. Sometimes an idea or "Style" doesn't read the way you would like and I'm not afraid to ditch something that isn’t working in a model. Let me know if you like the new Ratio Better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're much better now. Still a bit short, but that can be read as style, where it used to be just weird.

Oh, and listen to Daz (as if you wouldn't), he makes valid points. The triangular shape of the face gives him that girlish-boy look, which seems to be what you're going for, so he might lose character if you do lose that. As a contrast though, you might want to widen up the nose, or something to make him more masculine.
    The side profile does look odd. Try finding some reference, the eyebrows and chin usually just about line up.
  • Zhaboka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the model! You're pretty good. I can't model myself, but I like the design and execution of this project. Oh, I'm also new, so I'll introduce myself. I'm Zhaboka, ovbiosly, and I like forums and explosions and moviemaking. Thank you, and please go eat some cheese while having a conversation about metrophysics with a llama.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    am I missing something? Cause I dont get it.

That thing is a bit scary, Is it male , female? I dunno
    There a gazzilion poly that dont develop the form at all,

Everything is too stiff, the hair! omg look like stairs.

The design itself is lacking a bit to, I dont see anything that realy get my eye

The sideview of the face is scary, I mean what happen there man, The eyes area is like way way back there, Doesnt realy make any sense, Anime or not, It need a good cleaning up poly wise, Some work on the form and overall Feel of it,

but hey, Im just saying, Thats me, and I hate everybody! smile.gif

Goodluck!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    your also french...
  • SheriffNotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Daz - lol yes the spelling errors will be corrected. Some spelling errors in particular creep up on me often. I'll get that taken care of. I got a similar comment on CGtalk about the rigid nature of the model. I agree completely after seeing the examples posted in both forums, but I'm not sure how advantageous it would be to try and change his pose now. He should still rig all right as he is so I'll make a note of it and shoot for a better bind pose with my next model. For notes on the face see below. As for human reference, I used it but only glancingly. I only had my model in viewport when modeling. Next time I'll take the extra step to take my reference into max.

@ Xalter - I don't know if I would say Anime in particular, but it's definitely an animation style.

@ ComradeJ - I played with the legs some more and tried to thicken them a bit, and moved them closer together. Sorry I didn't grab a picture without his skirt, but if you want I can post one up later. How does it read now?

@ Zhaboka - Thanks for the comments and welcome to the forums.

@ b1ll - Most of the polys are to ensure the Silhouette reads cleanly. I could probably get away without them but felt it was worth the extra polys to make it read well in rotation. I will admit I was fairly liberal in a few places but I don't think it was anything too ridiculous. Once the hair is mapped, it should read better. It also currently doesn't have smoothing groups assigned. About the design, any suggestions on what you think would improve it? Right now I'm planning to achieve most of my details in the mapping. I appreciate the comments, even if you have everybody ^o^

@almighty_gir - lol WTF?

The Face - Since everyone commented on it, here are my comments all together. Yes the lower part of the face was forward a bit too much. That should now be corrected. I could add eyes and eye geometry to the character but I was planning on just addressing that in the Normal Map. I can still make him blink with the geometry present, and he doesn't need to be able to "Look" at anything with his eyes so I didn't think making separate eye geometry was particularly important. It might be worth a few extra polys to add an eyelid and round the eye a bit though. I'll do that next and see how it looks.

In the mean time, here is an update with legs and another shot of the face. It looks better to me already, but tell me what you think.

vr_frontud2tb.jpgvr_facefrontud2tb.jpgvr_facesideud2tb.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i think that what b1ll means is that besides polys existing without purpose , the face seems squashed , like if it was hammered against a wall , his shoulders could be a bit wider .
    yeah the hair might red whell when textured still it reads as "blocky" and isnt due to non existance of smoothing groups.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking A LOT better in profile. The jaw line is a bit short tho, it should come back a bit more before it goes up towards the ears. At the moment the profile looks like the face was squashed back.

Here is a quick paint over (sorry, its a bad one.)
    pomz2.jpg

The legs are looking a lot better wink.gif