Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pelt Mapping Tutorial

At work I have been teaching our 2D artists to unwrap models. I whipped up this tutorial really quick to get them the basics. I figured I would post it here even tho I bet most of you guys already know this stuff, but if you don't your life just got a lot easier.

http://www.vigville.com/PeltMappingTutorial.html

Sorry if someone already posted somthing like, I searched and didn't find anything.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The tutorial is all well and good, but wtf is that page layout? 2 separate scrollable columns? Make it into a viewer-friendly page! Place the images in with the text at relevent points... don't make people mix'n'match scrollbars, it's just confusing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What can I say Word doesn't translate to HTML very well. If I actually decide to make a tutorial section on my site I might bother doing the code myself, but really it did what it needed to do which is teach our 2D artists pelt maping. If it helps someone here then its a double bonus.

Here is the origial word doc, which is what I passed onto our 2D folks.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    Why didn't you just send everyone over to the autodesk site to watch their mov. of how to do pelt mapping? Everything you need to know is in that small vid.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Nice tutorial. laugh.gif Wish it'd work in Maya. :P
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the tuto smile.gif
    I have been doing my texturing the hard way *shrugs*
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Tulkamir, there is a pelt mapping script for maya, called Pelting Tools. I think the process is pretty similar.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why didn't you just send everyone over to the autodesk site to watch their mov. of how to do pelt mapping? Everything you need to know is in that small vid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Orignally I did send out the link to mov file 3-4mo ago, it was either ignored or they all forgot about it(3D artists also) or ment to watch it "later" and later never came. We also have a pretty slow connection to the net so everyone could have started or intended to watch it but because of bandwidth got bored or stopped it before it was finished. Either way no one but myself was using it this entire project which was a huge waste of time. Also our AD also wanted a word doc added to our in house tutorials wiki. He also wanted it to have some screen grabs of which buttons to press as the video can be somewhat hard to follow if you're new to max like some of our 2D people are. I have to go back and make it more Max-newbie (2D artist) friendly this week and do another tutorial on the UVW Edit tool.

I have some down time I might update my personal site (it still says I'm looking for a job), add a tutorials section then write actual code for these instead of letting word/front page butcher it.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    if you are going to make a pelt tute, should throw in relax with it, since using pelt without relax is the mark of madness
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, thanks Fogmann. I'll have to check this stuff out now. laugh.gif