Home Technical Talk

Does MAX archive incremental saves of your work?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
...cause that would totally rock. I lost some work last night due to a crash and im trying to figure out if there is any way to salvage it. Im not at home right now so i cant check it. Anyone know?

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yes, look in the folder max is installed there is a folder called autoback, thats where you files are, there are only 3 by default tho, so if you have been working since your loss, then the autoback files are of what you are working on currently.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, i reopened the file and cried a little, but it was only open for mebbe 5 mins and i dont think i did anything other than changing selections.

There is hope! aaaaaaah

you da man
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There are actually settings for Autoback in the Customize -> Preferences window - I think it's in the "Files" tab, you can tell it how many backups to save, and how often. Just bear in mind that with big scenes it might slow down right in the middle of you doing something while it's saving the backup - with most files you probably won't notice though.
    I usually set mine to 10 files saving every 3 minutes - that way you have about half an hour of history to go back on, just in case something nasty happened to your scene that's causing it to crash all of a sudden.
    Very handy.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt!! Recovered the file...no changes lost.

Good tip MoP, after this i think ill be cranking them settings up a bit, juuuust in case wink.gif
  • Silversound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the safest way to save previous versions of your scenes, go to: Customize->Preferences->Files Tab and check "Increment On Save".

fileszt1.th.gif

Just know that it will create a lot of files over time. However it is the best way to insure a disaster free file log.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool! thanks for the tip.

BTW i liked your sound samples on your site. Cool to see some creative work from that side of the design process. I like to play around with synthesis a little bit in my free time. Lotta fun.

There doesnt seem to be very many game sound guys around =/