Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi textures

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
michalczyk polycounter lvl 17
Hi guys,

Just wanted to post some of my recent texture work. These textures were done for Digital Extremes. I should point out that part of the credit goes to Jean Rochefort who designed the meshes while I painted the textures. I think he did an awesome job! But, you be the judge. Check out these texture galleries for more: texture gallery Comments are welcome.

walltexture200508smam2.jpg

scifigroundtexture200507smju3.jpg

rustyfloortexture200510smoh7.jpg

groundtexture200517smzb9.jpg

groundtexture200512smkr9.jpg

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i think i recognize some of your photo overlays from stock footage laugh.gif particularly the rust. that shouldn't happend.
    otherwise i'd say these are pretty good. i prefer the strong lighting you have in there but i guess these are not meant for "nextgen"-shading?
    personally i would have added a little more surface irregularites, like suble dents in the metal. photoshop's layer bevel effects set to a large radius on a soft light layer do a great job for that.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    they look great (if the game doesn't use normal mapping)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    the game is xbox, so no normalmapping smile.gif
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    isnt hitman bloody money on xbox ? that has normal maps
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    really good textures ! there are some white that might be a tad too strong , instead of whiting them you could colorize them a tad . still impressive surface detail !

Xbox has pixel shading supporting normal map technology.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    I personally feel like these could benefit from

- interrupted highlights (try masking out the highlights on the bevel effects layers - also double up the highlight layer, set one to screen and the other to overlay and adjust opacities)
    - more irregular beveled edges (meaning the original shape you applied your bevel effect to was too "vector" and lacked per-pixel variation)
    - more saturation and cooler color brought into the shaded areas
    - more mid-level detail, such as large rust and dents mentioned by thomasp

In general, this looks like a good start, but still looks like it's in the "automatic" stage, where you've laid out the basics with layer effects and a texture overlay. I think you need to go back into the layers one by one to add more irregularities, details, and variation by hand.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, I don't know. I'm not a fan of these. I mean, they look good and are well executed - but they're too clean and (at times) blurry. The amount of surface depth in the textures is concerning too - they pop too far out or go too far in. I've played Warpath and have the same complaints - the textures lose their "pop" once you get closer than 20ft. and notice its just a flat plane. This texture in particular comes to mind.

The highlights along the surface edges are way too clean for areas that are as broken and unkept as these textures. The highlights themselves seem too bright (re: white). None of the panels have any indication as to what they're held on to the wall by (bolts, latches, etc.).

So yah, they're neat - but they look like they're all about 60% finished.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    These are looking nice man. I agree with Thomasp's crits, and I'd add one of my own. Your highlights and shadows are very grey. I don't know if you are using layer effects, or painting them, but I'd suggest slightly tinting them with color. They feel a little dead right now with so little color variation.

poop.gif