Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

steampunk robot WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
i need some help on this thing. just not sure how to go about that arm part there (the whole thing, not just the selected polys). and of course c&c on the whole model in general would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif

robot_wip.png

came from this concept sketch by Adi Conrad of gearjuice.com:

2d_bot.jpg

i'd like to put it in ut2004, and... think it'd be ok to put in my portfolio?

Replies

• Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    I cant really tell what your having a problem with, but Im thinking extrude faces and move verts untill it looks like the concept.

Sorry for being a smart arse thats just me. What app are you using looks kinda like maya? First I would decide on what will be modeled detail and what will be textured detail. Then, I guess I would adjust the transparentcy of the material so I could see through the model and still see the refrence. Next, rough out the shape and get the overall proportion. Finaly start extruding or cuting my detail into place. Double checking from diffrent views along the way.

Good luck.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    i feel retarded--didn't give much info did i? my mistake.

i'm using modo. the "problem" is that i'm just wondering if this is a good concept to use--i grabbed it at random, kind of. when the concept artist hands you a drawing, about how much leeway does the modeler get? ie how much freedom to add/subtract to the design?

and... does the model look good so far, or is it really too early to tell?