Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seahunt: Ironlore contest at CG Chat

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Here is my entry to the competition. After doing some research I found out that Orcas are actually dolphins and some of them go and feed in the Mediterranean. I also researched the Greeks a bit due to the time period and noticed that they seem to have rough nose dolphins painted in some of their art. My girlfrined told me saw dolphins in their art when she went to Greece a few years ago. I thought that was interesting since I wanted Orcas to pull my siege weapon, since I thought that would be original.

Story:

History:

The Sea Elven tribes from the Aegean Sea homes were destroyed in the first war the gods had with the Titans, by the Kraken. Poseidon God of the sea had the Krakken crush their nation because he hated how they loved Zeus and how he used lightning to destroy his enemies. Poseidon also recented how they greatly admired Artemis Godess of the hunt. The Sea Elven loved and honored all the gods, however their elder to honor Poseidon, went to Mount Olympus to ask a favor of Zeus. He asked Zeus that if he could convince Hephaestus of making him a special Trident if he could grant him command of lightning to help him hunt in and help the gods protect the seas. Zeus was surprised that such a creature would ask him anything yet venture to meet him. Curious Zeus agreed that if he could get Hephaestus to make him a weapon he would grant him his wish and also he would give the secret to creating weaker versions of these tridents to him and his kin for all of time. Zeus warned that if he failed or ever betrayed the Gods with this knowledge his kind would suffer for eternity. Eight mooons later Arichos returned with his prize, a wonderful Trident staff. Zeus was greatly impressed and filled the staff with lightning. Poseidon sent the Kraken to destroy the Sea Elven after learning that Zeus gave them the ability to forge weapons, armor and steel blessed with lightning.

Present:

After learning that the Titans had released the Kraken, Poseidon seeks the last of the Sea Elven. Poseidon promises them that he would allow them to return tho their home, the Aegean Sea and form a new nation. The Sea Elven embark on their hunt of the Kraken with their floating seige weapons.

Here are a few sketches. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Alex

dolphin.jpg

hopliteS.jpg

shipsketch01.jpg

shipsketch02.jpg

shipsketch03.jpg

seahunt01.jpg

seahunt02.jpg

seahunt03.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Quite an interesting idea. Obviously this is just a rough blockout stage, but I'd make the orcas a little larger, and make the trident torpedo thing MUCH bigger - at the moment it's getting lost in the machine.
    I'd get rid of the covered standing area at the back, it seems too grand and unnecessary for a weapon of destruction - something smaller and more focused would work better, I think... also, you could probably alter the positioning of the hull/floats to make a more interesting shape for the launcher.

And please, invest in some plain paper!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Neat idea so far.

ps- is Kraken even in Titan Quest? I haven't gotten that far in it, so far. frown.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Heh I don't know if the Kraken is in Titan Quest, but it's in the Ironlore contest. wink.gif

Mop this is why I love posting on this board soo much. Good feedback and no candy coated BS. I was thinking exactly what you suggested. My idea for the boat was to give it a shape of a sting ray. I'm looking at the seige weapon as an entire piece though and not like a seige weapon on a floating structure. I modeled this just to see what the polycount could give me and to get the proportions down. I didn't have plain paper when I sketched this but the final design will be on plain paper. wink.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    The boat would be easier to pull it seems if it was turned 180 degrees according to the outer hull.. looks like it's a boat backwards.. imho