iflingpoo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
iflingpoo polycounter lvl 18
sorry for the large images,
full-jeep.jpg
full-jeep-w.jpg
full-jeep-t.jpg

this is the first piece of art i've done in like over a year and took waaay too long for me to make, i was going for a handheld spec model weighs in at 620 triangles, 1-256x256, 2-64x64 textures

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad for low poly, but I see some areas for improvement, both design wise and polycount. Jeeps have very flat grills. You could flatten that out, and maybe save a couple polies. Same goes for the windshield. Jeeps have never had a V-Shaped windshield. When doing a jeep, remember... boxy wink.gif (especially with the original military versions)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with the crits Notman offered, but I'd also say that you could have saved yourself a number of polys by making your steering wheel an alpha plane instead of modeling it out. That said, I really like this piece. I think you've done a really good solid job here.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the way you've modelled the wheels, great way to save polys.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    very nice!

IMHO alphaplaned steering wheels look terrible. You could save a whole bunch of polygons though on the steering wheel, looks like it's 10 sided right now, if you brought that down to 6 or 5 sides, then the remaining polygons could be added to the tops of the seats to smooth them off. Actually the seats are the only part that need some TLC
  • iflingpoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iflingpoo polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the crits!

notman: good point on the grill, just looking at the reference pic it does look alot flatter than what i had modeled out, what do you mean by V windshield?

i should probably add a segment or two to the seats, anyone who sat on it would get their eyes poked now that i look at it smile.gif

besides the modeling any crits on the texture? i was trying to go for a semi realistic look, almost like something out of metal slug, but it kind of didnt really work out the way i intended, a majority of it was handpainted

as for polycount, is 620 too much for a handheld vehicle?

anyways heres a shot of the refernce pic (wasn't trying to replicate it exactly) and a 100% illuminated version

jeep-nolights.jpg
    jeppquater.jpg
    thanks for the crits so far!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hey i alwys like too see some low poly stuff. its a good job too.

green is a little seaturated, but it looks cool for it, kinda more sluggy.

seats are too high-backed

i personally think you could have done the sides of the windsheild, with the alphad texture 64* and not modelled it but its still good.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    as for texture, I'd get rid of the lighting on the wheels, will look odd if it's spinning around
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The textures are pretty noisy. While they look nice at this scale rendered, once you get them into a game engine at their correct scale thats going to look like a big mess.

In the words of the hippy guy from the Simpsons "Simplify.. man"
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... what do you mean by V windshield?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were to look at the vehicle from above, you'll notice your windshield is V shaped, rather than a straight line.The side pillars of the windshield and the center pillar, should all be equal along the z-axis.
    The dashboard should match that. The dashboard is basically one giant piece of sheet metal, with no creases in it.