Home General Discussion

Green with envy

Replies

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    TUNES!

Nice work on the support... but the record player would have been more retro :P (would predate the vehicle though).
    You gonna get some new keys made up? Those are looking pretty worn wink.gif

By "wiring complete", does that include the engine compartment?
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    notman.. yah, engine's pretty much wired up as well, but much like in the dash it needs to be organized.

Not planning on getting new keys, cause as far as we know those are the originals. smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    A slight deviation from this thread... but OH GOD YES PLEASE!

(I'll have more WIP shots of our barracuda soon enough!)
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    that concept car is ugly... inside. did you see it in the gallery? since thats where you'll be spending most of the time with the car, one would expect something a little more classy.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured you had heard of that. News went around here about that back during the summer wink.gif I am hoping it comes to be. I think the latest Mustang design has triggered a new design trend of blending the past with the future. I've been wanting this to happen for about 15 years now, so I'm pretty pumped to see this and the new Camaro.

I agree about the interior images, but it's a concept car, which means the interior will look nothing like that when done. Then again, that's one of my big complaints about Chrysler in recent years... their interiors look cheap and show no imagination.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Turns out it was just a one-off for some rich mofo...

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/30/sema-2007-chrysler-barracuda-concept/

Which makes hawken's remark on the interior even more true.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely, if he didn't have higher expectations than that for the interior :/

Honestly, they had an article about this posted at work. It was suppose to be in the works... It was an article about bringing back old designs. They may have used that car for the photo though.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go... the Challenger is going to be made. That's what I was thinking of when I saw the 'Cuda picks

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/29/2008-dodge-challenger-srt8-to-start-at-37-995/
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Does it have factory iPod options available?
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress!
    cudawork020208.jpg

Got the carpet down and the kick panels / rear panels installed this weekend. Could have gotten a lot more in (door sill plates and door panels) but I kept getting pulled away to work on other stuff. Also, it's not easy getting up underneath that dash area when you're 6'4".... confused.gif

Been a while since I've worked on the car, mainly due to helping the parents plan for the house remodel, and just how damn cold it's been in that garage in winter months. shocked.gif
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    About damn time :P I know how you feel about getting under the dash; I'm 6'5". It's usually not too bad with the seats missing though wink.gif

What's the spark wire for? Are you going to have the coil inside the vehicle?
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What's the spark wire for? Are you going to have the coil inside the vehicle?

[/ QUOTE ]

The electronic ignition setup needs power from something accessory-power driven to turn on, so we're running the cable for that inside and it'll probably end up getting hooked onto something like the windshield wiper line.
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    This thing looks AWESOME! How much more work do you have [estimated]. A few months?
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, all things being well, within 2 months it'll be back at the body shop to get some last details taken care of (body work details that we'd rather have them do). Before that we'll have to get the engine tuned and the suspension / alignment taken care of.

What I've still got to do is get the seats, door panels, glove box, ash tray, and a few other bits on the interior, and then clean up the wiring in the engine bay and under the dash.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    cudawork030808.jpg

First time in ten years, I sat on the back bench and buckled in with a very satisfying *click* of the lap belt... cool.gif

Also got the ash tray / cig lighter installed and wired up, and got the door for the glove box installed (may need to buy a replacement replacement glove box, 'new' one appears to have been damaged).

I would have also gotten the door skins on, but I think the replacement ones we got may actually be too small for the door. I'm going to do some measuring on Sunday to check into this, and the go over our options with my dad when he gets back from SoCal.

Goal for sunday... Get the bucket seats installed.

I can't currently install the center console, as the repairs we did to it quite literally bent and buckled while it was sitting on a shelf waiting to be installed; dad's going to see what can be done to fix the fix.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    cudawork030908.jpg

Bucket seats.... woohoo mofos!

Tens years since sitting in the driver seat.. buckled in and just sat there for a bit... so effin cool.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    damn nice... the seats look good. Are those the originals (refurbished)? Too bad about the center console. I'm assuming it'd be in there right if it didn't deform wink.gif
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    The seats were re-upholstered not long before my dad originally parked the car (almost 20 years ago). Only thing that's been done to them since then was he put a bit more black color on them a few months back.

Yah, the console would have gone in if it weren't broken, but it should be fixed again within another week or so.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, the seats held up well for being around that long. Usually the dry rot a little bit... well, at least in Michigan. I would think CA would be drier (thus worse) wink.gif
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the car was parked outdoors "under cover" for the ~10 years it sat around (which is why we had so much rust to deal with). After that, they were stored in the garage and then inside the house, and every now and then (read: every year or two) they got wiped down in Armor-All.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh, that explains it. Armor All does an amazing job on leather/vinyl. Still though, that's pretty damn good for 20 years.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, and damn comfy... old school bucket seats rock.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    hahahahahahahahahahaha..... laugh.gif

This just made my morning.

Badass in a can.

.... that color is surprisingly close to something parked in the garage.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, looks vaguely familiar wink.gif
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    frown.gifhttp://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/30/john-herlitz-designer-of-70-barracuda-71-gtx-dead-at-65/

Didn't get much done this weekend, got caught up in a bunch of other projects around the house. Managed to get what can be described as 'mud guards' installed in the front wheel wells; they protect the headlight assembly and the door from dirt kicked up from the tires.
  • pliang
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to get the brake lines bled this weekend, and one or two other small items. Was going to start on adding other fluids and moving the transmission cooling lines away from the headers, but got pulled off once again to help with pre-remodelling projects. Kinda getting irritating that this keeps happening when I'm expected to get the car done in short order before the remodel starts.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Kinda getting irritating that this keeps happening when I'm expected to get the car done in short order before the remodel starts.

Especially when you're so close. It sounds like, with a few dedicated weekends, the car would be done :/
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the front end all tightened down with codder keys, installed the grill and its trim, and went around checking hoses and whatnot. Should start adding the various fluids during the week so that I can work towards attempting to fire it up next weekend.

Was *really* nice and sunny this weekend, made for nice weather to work in; a tad warm at times, but better than freezing my ass off in that garage during the winter.

I'll try and get a shot of it during the week. Got one this evening but it apparently didn't turn out too good.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    After spending the first half of the day hangin' out and cruising with some like-minded 'vette enthusiasts, I got wrenching on the 'cuda this evening. :poly113:

Sorted through all the vital fluids we had on hand, and ended just going out to Pep Boys and picking up about ~$160 in fluids... all the stuff we had on hand was varied brands and ages and I just didn't feel like gambling with that mix. :poly114:

Spent the rest of the day adding fluids and finding all the leak points and loose ends. Turns out that all the bolts holding the transmission oil pan in place were somewhat loose, among other things.

I hooked up the last few electrical lines and ended up hooking up the battery.... gremlins up the ying-yang to say the least. I couldn't even honk the damn horn (the only reason I'd hooked up the battery in the first place)! :poly142:

I ended today with the battery on a charger, every leak point I could find tightened down and the space beneath it cleaned up, and a list of electrical items to look at tomorrow...

Not how I "planned" the day to go, but exactly as I *expected* it to. :poly104:
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking sweet. My dad had a 65 cuda with a big block 413 he threw into it. It looked like this one http://www.motortopia.com/album/view/p/cars/t/vehicle/v/10850/a/12625/i/my_little_barracuda/po/0/pl/1 except sky blue. Man I loved that car.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more photo's coming soon. Got the door skins installed this weekend, as well as the powdercoated glove box and ash tray doors. I also put the seats back in and installed the visors, rear view mirror, and some roof latch related pieces.
  • Mark Dygert
    ohh so close... can't wait to see it.
  • LEViATHAN
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    THROW SOME D'S ON THAT BITCH!

On a more serious note, that's an awesome car.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to get around to transfering photos off my camera phone. I've been seeing the new challengers running around, and I thought you might be interested in seeing them. Ahh, the one cool thing about living in the Detroit area :D Seeing the manufacturer development vehicles before they reach the public. My company isn't doing the brakes for anything cool right now, so I have to catch them on the street.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    More picts, as promised...

cudawork062308_1.jpg

cudawork062308_2.jpg

Steering wheel's off since I still want to clean up inside the column. Door handles on the inside are off since I need to use the dremel tool on the aftermarket panels (holes for the handles are a tad too small). Few other odds and ends I can't think of at the moment have to be dealt with still before the interior can be called done.... but damn it looks nice.

Oh.. and a little side project I just got for free from a friend this morning:
    nelsonkart_01.jpg

:poly128:
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    More pics and I can start modeling this car...
  • Mark Dygert
    pliang wrote: »
    Or...
  • Jonathan
    Any annoying problems with the chassis of those cars?

From the Mustangs I've worked on, some common problems we had (fox body years), was the "Detroit Lean" (floor cracking under driver's seat, easily fixed with a MIG welder), torque boxes (http://www.mustang50magazine.com/howto/35618_wild_rides_battle_boxes/index.html), and also the chassis really need subframe connectors to help them out. Despite their brick-like-shape, they're pretty good for the dragstrip and even auto-Xing. :)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan wrote: »
    Any annoying problems with the chassis of those cars?

From the Mustangs I've worked on, some common problems we had (fox body years), was the "Detroit Lean" (floor cracking under driver's seat, easily fixed with a MIG welder), torque boxes (http://www.mustang50magazine.com/howto/35618_wild_rides_battle_boxes/index.html), and also the chassis really need subframe connectors to help them out. Despite their brick-like-shape, they're pretty good for the dragstrip and even auto-Xing. :)

Well, Chrysler went with the Unibody setup, where the body from the firewall back and the frame rails is all one piece, so I haven't noticed any issues like that. We did have to have the trunk base panels replaced, but that was due to rust. We're considering some frame supports underneath, but that'll wait until the car's done, and considering the exhaust setup, there may be no room for it.
    pliang wrote: »

You mean like this? (Never finished that, by the way.)
  • Chunkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Damn.... that is shaping up rather nicely :D

Should look sweet as a nut, gonna be worth the wait I reckon :):)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    No new photos for this weekend, but worth mentioning that I got the convertible roof's boot screwed down and its cover slid into place...

Oh... and we cranked over the engine a few times trying to get it to run.

Unfortunately, it seems like it's not sucking up fuel from the tank (probably a leak in the lines is ruining the vacuum), but~, we fed the carb some ether and it did take spark and fire out with a loud BANG a few times, so at least I can say I set up ignition pretty spot on.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and duh~, completely forgot to mention that we bought a set of 15x7 Chrysler Rally wheels today from a guy with a Barracuda up in Carson City, and should be getting them courtesy of a friend who's driving down shortly... picts to follow soon.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ping Pong, the Rallyes are on! :smokin:

rallyewheels_01.jpg
    rallyewheels_02.jpg
    rallyewheels_03.jpg
    rallyewheels_04.jpg
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I want the smoke of burning rubber surrounding them :P

Looking good... I was worried when I came in here that you were going to report that the eatrthquake had somehow messed up your car ;)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, nah, only that den of despair to the south got shaken up.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    At 7:40 pm PST, it came alive for exactly two seconds....

We're still having issues with the carburetor spewing excessive amounts of gas out of the overflow, so despite a bunch of tweaking we couldn't get it to run again. My father's going to be calling up Holley tomorrow to see what he can find out, and pick up a few replacement gaskets for some of the adjustment screws.

.... but for two seconds, it was alive... and damn it sounded good.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    ahahah, I remember having that same issue. It only did it too me once I believe... I'm trying to remember what I did to fix it. It seems like it had something to do with my floats, but I had several vehicles with carb problems back then, so I may be confusing things.

Give ya chills that first time, doesn't it? ;)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    From talking with the guys at Holley and a local carb repair shop owner, my suspicion that the float was sticking seems to have been confirmed repeatedly. We'll clean it out soon and that should solve the problem, we hope.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    No-go... fuel bowl's still flooding.