Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Human Model Wip

PoR3
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
PoR3 polycounter lvl 17
Hello dear polycounters !

This is my first post here, so please be gentle with me smile.gif

I've been working on this model recently, just a common human model, but as i dont have much experience in it, i decided to give it a try. So its not meant to be inplemented in a game or whatso, just to get used with proportions etc.

I wanted to keep it clean but it seems i cant avoid getting tris or ngons... As i dont want to get much more subdivisions, what would be your advise about this ? are tris really that annoying ? And if so, how to model good hands without subdiving the entire model too much ?

Also, it seems i cant get good proportions, the torso feels way too important, what would you guys advise me to do about this ?

Anyway, thx for taking time to read this smile.gif

C&C welcome !

Shaded :

HumanWIP_shaded_thumb.jpg

Wireframe :

HumanWIP_wireframe_thumb.jpg

Head Closeup :

HumanWIP_headcloseup_thumb.jpg

Replies

• Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Nice start, but it still has some flaws.

Modeling highpoly (i.e. with subdivisions) might not be the ideal way if you inexperienced, you need to pay attention to a lot more detail than when doing lowpoly stuff.

If you're going highpoly though, as you seem to be, there's no restriction on how many polygons you use. As such, some of your tris and ngons can easily be avoided; the area around the eye only has tris because the outer loop has more vertices than the inner loop. I think the lower part of the head is also a bit big. If I remember correctly, the head is divided into three equally big areas; chin-nose, nose-brow and brow-top. The chin to nose part seems a bit big, but not really exceptional.

On the body itself, the legs look rather short. Might be the viewport, partially, but they appear distorted still. It might sound cheap, but I always use blueprints when modeling humans. They're always taller than the image I have in my head.

Oh yes, one more thing: the sleeves of the shirt hang above the arms, which is pretty much impossible. Just look at your own shirt if you're wearing one, only at the bottom do you have extra space.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to the boards smile.gif
    The tri's around the mouth and eyes may cause problems when animating. And the n-gons in the forehead may cause some rendering problems when it's viewed in a game engine.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the legs must be longer. And also something about the hands: The thumb and fingers should not be planar. Just take a look at this and you'll see what I'm trying to say if I couldn't make it clear: http://www.androidblues.com/handtut.html
    Keep it up!
    EDIT: I write soo slow frown.gif
  • PoR3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PoR3 polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the input guys, really appreciated !

I reviewed my model with your advises in mind, so here goes :

Model :

HumanWIP_next01_thumb.jpg

Closeup :

HumanWIP_closeup_thumb.jpg

I reviewed the thumb area, the shirt (even tho im half naked atm tongue.gif ) the chin and the legs size.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    grab some human proporation ref, drop it into the background and pull those shapes around a little.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Ditto what Rick_Stirling said, use a lattice to make it easier on yourself. Maybe crack out some anatomy books to help you eyeball things, and sketch a bit if you have a hard time visualizing what to do. Luck!