Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ut2k4 model WIP

Penzer
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Penzer polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys, this is a model for an Unreal Tournament 2004 mod that I am working on. The characters name is Eir, she is a Valkerye warrior with some robotic styling. The model will have a bow, but we're still trying to decide on the final design of it. The model weighs in at 2634 tris right now. Animation wise it will be flying all the time, never has to walk/run. It's a school project by the way, we have 2 semesters after this one to work on it. For the record, the model sheet was done by one of the other artists working on the mod with me. The model is all me though, crits and suggestions welcome please and thank you

Eir4.jpg

Eir3.jpg

Eir2.jpg

Eir1.jpg

I can still add a fair bit more geometry and be within my budget, I just wanted to get some input at this stage before I pushed it further. Now that I'm looking at these images, I'm realizing I need to learn how to do some nice renders. I've never had a propper class on rendering, does anybody know where I can find a tutorial with a nice render setup for showing off a model?

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm actually a little suprised that you have such a low poly budget on the model. True, the original ut2k4 characters aren't way up there, but with the newer rigs people are running the engine can handle a lot more being thrown at it.

Other than that lil comment, I must say that is one sweet lookin' techno-valkerie! Looking great so far, and I can't wait to see the shaders you throw at her. Don't forget Unreal can handle multiple textures / shaders on a single model, so don't be afraid to have some fun with this (especially on those 'wings' and other neat bits). Also consider the possibility (for her or other characters) of attaching particle effects to achieve a style or look. I definitely recommend spending a little time on the side now playing around with the shaders in the engine. Take a look through the levels / models and find things that interest you, or look like something you'd want to emulate or modify, and then try to duplicate it with your own textures. If you haven't gotten it already, this book is a great reference to have on hand and thumb through, and my site has some links to handy 'net reference sites relating to Unreal.

Two semesters should be plenty of time to play around with the engine / editor and get a mod that's well within scope to a completed state; just be sure to agree now on what kinds of things are key to the game, what is secondary, and what you're willing to cut free (if it gets in the way of completion).

Have fun!
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, I plan on adding quite a bit more to it for details. Right now, I've got enough joint support in there so the rest of my budget can go directly to improving it visually. I'm at school right now, checking with my other members of my team to get their input. I'll be adding lots to the jets at the back, but the side view of my model sheet made it a little difficult to see how the back of the helmet goes. Now that I've checked with these guys, I'm making some more changes and will post them as they come. Thank you
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, the arms look a bit short, though.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fixed that lastnight, haven't posted new pics yet.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    nice job so far. It's an interesting design.

Your anatomy is a little screwy though, for one the crotch is sitting a bit high, or the legs are very long. If its a stylistic decision, however, id suggest exaggerating it a little more.
    Id also suggest adding some curve to the legs to get them to look more natural. If you draw a straight line down someone's leg, it's far from symmetrical, which is the case with your model at the moment.

What you have is a good solid start though. I look forward to see where youre headed with it.
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    hands seem pretty tiny, just a small crit.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, been a while since I posted anything of this model. We decided we wanted to go with a more traditional design because we want to avoid it looking like Gundam Wing or something robotic.

Heres some renders of the model, with her weapon.

close.jpg

frontwires.jpg

closewires.jpg

backwires.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    arms are still REALLY SHORT!!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Sam, looking pretty good. Looking forward to seeing how you guys do with this.

For critiques... the face needs some reworking, the mesh flow is a bit wonky. Check out this out(originally posted by Rick I think) for a better idea of how the meshflow should go.

poly_regions.jpg

And yea, the arms are short and seem to end in stumps. And though I think it might be what you were going for, the legs kind of look like they end in stumps as well to me.
  • SkyHigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This reminds me a whole lot of what those fine fellows at Silicon Knights are cookin'
    Is there where you got your inspiration? I don't blame you really.
    too-human.jpg

Heh, top that.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The boots are really cool actually, I'll post a better shot of them later. I'm at school right now, but the model is at home.

Ya, the Silicon Knights Valkerye is really awesome too. I'll post the concept drawing for this one, which believe was actually done befor SK posted that one... despite the similarities.

Eir, our mod, and Too Human are both inspired by Norse mythology. Here is the concept drawing for my model, the drawing was done by one of our other artists, not by me.

2-1.jpg