Home Technical Talk

///// (help)Skirt Filtering \\\\\

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
konstruct polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, so recently Ive been doing some normal map tests in max and I`ve recently heard about skirt filtering within Kaldera.

<font color="yellow">My question is does max 8 have another term for this feature? </font>
Ive been searching everywhere and can`t find a thing. if anyone could provide some insight on this that would kick ass.

thanx 4 yur time tongue.gif

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, if you could give a description of what this "Skirt Filtering" feature does, I could tell you if Max8 has it or not.

At a guess, it's probably similar to Max's "Edge Padding" setting, where the edges of the UV chunks are expanded outwards by an arbitrary number of pixels, to prevent seams showing when mip-mapping.

There are a couple of people on this forum who use Kaldera though, maybe they will know for sure.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes exactly- edge padding I didnt even begin to know what it was called, I should have posted a description, but I just assumed people would know what I`m talking about-

on an unrelated note, I posted this on CG talk yesterday and I still have no replies. I just got 2 replies within 10 min on polycount. clearly polycount is king smile.gif you guys rock.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Zing! smile.gif
    Happy to help.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay I`m having problems again. <--short bus. even when I crank that shite up to 64, I see no effect.

My workflow-
    I have the detail mesh (high poly) and the render mesh (low poly ) set up.

*I select the render mesh, and open up the RTT diolouge.
    *I select the Detail mesh for bake
    *I turn of the cage (due my models hard surface nature).
    *I`m using Catmull-Rom antialiasing
    *I`m using Hammersley Global Supersampeling
    *I set the padding to 64 (just so I can see the results)

then hit render, and everthing works except for the edge padding. is there a gap in my understanding of how edge padding works?

let me know pleeese smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh - it doesn't display the edge padding in the render preview.
    If you save the file (using the file-output settings in the Render to Texture window) and then open the outputted file, you'll see the edges all nicely expanded.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    wish i could help...i use the cage w/a padding of 2....so far works for me.

i will say this in response to your quote about polycount. place is eff'n rad. MoP and others have come to my rescue quite often...so you're in good hands.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH man- I totally forgot that that buffered window is lame like that. makes sense now, I think I got it. thanx a ton all for all your help. much appreciated.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If you plan on shrinking the final normal map by half, would you say a padding of 4pixels would be enough? I mean, what tyoe of padding "X" do you need from going large to small?

Example
    4096 to 2048 = 8 pixels?
    2048 to 1024 = 4 pixels?
    1024 to 512 = 2 pixels?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've heard 4pixels for 512's. Best bet though is to try it, then test in-game, see if you get bleeding as it mips down.

Re: Kaldera... I used to be a dedicated user/evangalizer, but now I use RTT. So many more options.

One thing I haven't found in RTT though is the ability to restrict the rendering to selected faces on the high-res model. Kaldera has this... why doesn't RTT? It does have material ID matching, but that seems like a pain to setup.