Home General Discussion

Chris Crawford on games

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
Interview

Man, what a douchebag. He must totally have his head up his ass to not see what is going on. The best selling PC game of all time was based on social gameplay!

If he thinks the game industry is going to be the same in 20 years, I think he has another thing coming.

Take any flash game website and you'll see that the number of games being produced with "weird ideas" is about a hundred times greater than in the 80's. Not only that, but the games being made have deeper gameplay and better graphics than back then.

Replies

• Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Read it only half way through. I couldn't see what he was getting at with his... well, whatever he's making, because he tells the ideas behind it, rather than what you're actually supposed to do.

Anyway, the gaming industry has plenty of innovation, even if the majority is still copying. But hey, we don't go complaining that books are written with letters, do we?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    No offense Ninja, but just because he doesnt agree with what we term invation and he does not does not make him a douche bag. The only part I think he really was wrong in was the hollywood reflection, and how we should even more. We should be getting away from that.

On the otherhand I am completely interested in interactive storytelling.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    What makes him a douche isn't that he disagrees with me, but that he pretends to know anything at all about what is going on in the game industry, which he obviously doesn't anymore.

Lets see, is Hollywood more innovative than the games industry? Obviously not.

Are the dynamics of making and selling games going to stay the same for 20 years? Not with Steam and Xbox live arcade and really solid middleware, not to mention a whole group of people who are just maturing their skillset enough to make videogames on their own.

Is Interactive Fiction (IF) new, and did Chris Crawford come up with it? No. He's just a douchebag trying to get credit from others' work.

Is the idea of AI actors in a freeform open environment new? No. Look at Shen Mu, or even Half Life. Obviously they are hard at work to create solid interactive NPCs, and unlike Mr. Crawford here, they are actually DOING SOMETHING instead of screwing around with some code.

My take on the game industry is that it is finally coming up with core gameplay types, such as shooting or platforming or managing resources. These will be used in a lot the same way that camera rules are used in Hollywood. The fundimentals of filming and editing have been well understood for decades and haven't changed. It's how you use the techniques that matters.

To say that IF won't appeal to gamers is total insulting bullshit, and it denies the roots of IF as part of videogames.

I don't really see anything that he says that has anything to do with reality. He should at least have a little respect for the industry that made his career.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    When he said hollywood supports innovation thats where I kind of drifted off.. Can't wait to go see The Omen remake though!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    damn. I first read this thread as 'Cindy Crawford on games'.

I'd be all ears.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Have to agree with Ninjas, there's a ton of very original stuff in flash/web games, some of it might take about the same amount of work to do as some games took in the 80s.

What really changed are the budgets, you can't afford nowadays to screwup with the costs fullgames have, or you can kiss it all goodbye.
    And still, there's _slow_ innovation, if one game has a new feature that stands out positively it will be ripped off and implemented by everyone in the industry. I think it's rather cool that i can chose from 10 games that have a feature i really like, rather than being damned to play a crappy game that's the only one who has this 1 incredibly cool idea that forces me to see it through...

And im curious about the Omen too, snakes on planes seems terribly original too tho, hmm.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's rather cool that i can chose from 10 games that have a feature i really like, rather than being damned to play a crappy game that's the only one who has this 1 incredibly cool idea that forces me to see it through...

This doesn't apply to user interfaces in the RTS market but fortunately Total Annihilation wasn't a bad game.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, the 80's were a magical era of creative minds... and here in 2006 we're all too stupid to be like mr. crawford.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Lets see, is Hollywood more innovative than the games industry? Obviously not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Propably not more innovative when it comes to how they narrate a story. But the bandwidth of stories told in movies is so much larger than the stories told in games so far. Maybe he's talking about this, I haven't read the interview though
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yes but the width of game genres seems to be expanding faster than the width of Hollywood movie genres.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    heh actually I was just being sarcastic, I've heard the new Omen is almost an exact shot-for-shot copy of the original with different actors
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    He really sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    /masturbatory pantomimes.

What a wanker.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, I wonder what's the last game he even played.
    He's a hack, trying to make himself relevant again.
    "Storytronics" please.
    Go to hell Chis Crawford you suck!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    he does seem kinda biter, but it's not my place to judge him. he does have a lot of great points and it's one more point of view. not everyone likes playing games for the button mashing. i think the games industry is seriously suffering from a lack of social skills. designers watch a lot of movies and script the experience so that it feels like what they enjoyed about the movies. a lot of them (except for some fucking badass ones) are dramatizations of dramatizations. if someone from outside our culture was to play a game they probably wouldn't even remotely get it.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    hmm i wasnt being sarcastic tongue.gif i love movies like the Omen, so it they bring it up again in gazzilluplex quality with better everything then great. If they screw up, there's always the original.

And i do agree that the industry suffers from lack of social skills (mostly, and to stay ontopic), but i think it was always like that, which is what drew individuals to lock themselves up in a room in the first place.

Thank god, we have focus group testing, and people in suits telling us what's fun for the people out there.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think what he's saying is: we need better AI games.