Home General Discussion

Free character design training video

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
I thought this was pretty funny/entertaining. The guy is talking about taking it off the web because of so much negative feedback.

The google video link is on the right

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Woah. This guy is trying to draw way to broad a brushstroke with what a character artist is and does. Not only this, but what he is saying he is over explaining.

He is right about what products try to accomplish though. THough he isnt in he is making his opinion as fact as he forgets education can overide buying impluses no matter how many times a person is encountered with a brand. In short, there is only greater or less percentages that a company trying to grasp someones ego can have.

It simply goes into why better education on these matters to the populace is needed.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, this thing is dripping with irony. His incessant ramblings are making me feel extremely uncomfortable. I don't know If I want to pull my own teeth out or cause him actual bodily harm.

Point me to the negative feedback! I want a laugh.

"I think we can put a big gun here"

Haha.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It gets to the point where he is saying this absolutely crazy stuff in run on sentences. You really have to wait for the end and listen to what he is saying to get what he is aiming at I think. The guy is not an awful artist. His detail is pretty tight.

[edit]
    the feedback:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=360744
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

You are watching Riven Phoenix Demonstrating to you a very Powerful Mind Trick to help you understand Creativity. Historically what he is doing is called ‘Artistic Thinking’. The ideas are not his beliefs, it is a very Powerful Psychological Trick used by Professional Artists in leading companies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you Not Understand?
    It is A Very Powerful mind trick. He is not Drawing.
    That is the Atoms in his Arm Controlled by Alien Thoughs meeting the Requirements of Joe Public in their Entropic Quest for Eternal Satisfaction In A Video Game.
    Plus The Creature has interestingly Big Arms with Weird Pipes and Guns.

(The words "shut up and draw" spring to mind)

I understand what he's doing, but jeez, talk about a waste of time. He doesn't actually have to say all of that stuff, for anyone's benefit. He could just say "I'm gonna take on a different mindset for a while to see where it takes me creatively" rather than spouting a bunch of boring pseudo-intellectual stuff just to get himself "in the zone".
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Clearly, Riven (er, River, anyone?) Phoenix and Junaid Khan are one and the same person.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I was thinking "Isn't River Phoenix dead?" for a while until I read the text more closely smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That did occur to me. I mean, they talk the same way, but I have also spent some amount of time dealing with the Dallas area Indian community, and it doesn't seem too far fetched that two people in that subculture would talk and write in the exact same way (not to mention share the same beliefs).

[edit]
    I know right? Riven Pheonix! What an obviously retarded psudonym.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed, Phoenix is a somewhat unlikely last name for a person of Indian descent!

The fact that he is trying to make his outfit seem more professional and established by appearing to have some kind of agent or representitive that operates on his behalf, makes me lose all respect for him.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The atoms in His Brain that Operate as the Representative for the DVD and Instructional Information Personas are Separate Entities in the great External Void of Information!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like I said in the thread. The problem is its like a joke.. timing is everything. I totally agree with what he is trying to do, but a video format that seems to be for character creation just isnt marketed right.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. I have heard that type of strange science/religion talk before. My folks were into meditation, and that is where I got to meet these Dallas Indian types. I suppose that is why I didn't have an immediate negative reaction to how absurd and crazy it is.

Overall, I thought the video was interesting enough to watch at least, but then I don't have cable smile.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    ..Devils Advocate Warning...

I think it's great. Meant to give your more confidance. Some of you listen to tool, he focuses on the zen and atomic aspects of what he is doing. It's just a way to cultivate your creativity. In fact the more functional your designs look, does'nt it look more belivable? He also looks like he was raised Hindu or the likes, and they tend to have very vivid spiritual philosephies they tie into everything.

I can see why you guys think it's funny though. But he's litteraly just walking you through what he thinks in his head as he's drawing. I'm sure most of you have odd thoughts too.

It's free and he's a decent artist. Pick up what you want and ignore the rest.

..End Devils Advocate..

I almost spit out my coffee laughing..
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    whoa, my individual nural network is compensated thus forth exsposing the jucies in my brain injected into my current egoless cold soda.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    the guy droned on... it all could have been explained in a much simpler manner that would achieve the same effect.

KHhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAN!

I would rather watch startrek.. and I'm not a fan
    khan.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Meant to give your more confidance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it definitely gave me more confidence. It made me realise that compared to this guy I actually have pretty good inter personal communication skills, can relate to and connect to other people without patronising them and they don't switch off and walk away half way through listening to me out of sheer boredom and frustration.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Quantam Physics? hahahahahaha
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i haven't downloaded the video yet since i'm downloading other things at the moment. but, from all the posts i've read it sounds like he's just using free association but didn't explain the technique then draw a concept using that technique.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... unless free association has to do with realigning the atoms in your brain so you can realign the atoms in your arm so you can realign the atoms in the pencil so you can realign the atoms of the graphite on the paper so you can realign the atoms in someone elses mind, no.

(edit)Might go into free accosiation later, I just started it a few minutes ago.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Video is now offline apparently.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    LOL and if you read the info now posted on the site, apparently the whole thing was some sort of information-gathering exercise to see how human beings reacted to certain situations... riiiight... keep up the act Mr Phoenix!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    LOL! Move over Guy Goma, your 15 minutes is up.

I thought about using mr. Khan as my new avatar, but that would be all wrong. Attention is clearly what mr. Khan wants. One cannot seek out internet iconography. It comes to you. ;-p
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, a *2* hour video for information gathering excerise... right...
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Has anyone got this in cache? I'm intregued now having read the messages here and on GCT and it looks like the site has been stripped bare.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    His promo write up had this little gem 'the brain is a powerful thinking machine'.

Oh man I'm laughing so hard it's taking me too long to type...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

but then I don't have cable smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, yes I too watch any old shite on the internet because of the 'ol nothing on the box situation.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Homeboy took down his website. I don't know if I should feel sorry for the guy or if this is just another stunt. Anyway, this should be either funny or sad depending on if you think it's for real. This is his last undeleted post from CG Talk:

[ QUOTE ]
    I am not posting this for anybody to feel sorry for me and I am not trying to make any body feel guilty. I just have to get this out of my system. I have not slept for freaking 2 nights over so much hate mail on this movie. I never said anything bad to anyone in the movie. I am so freaking confused why people are reacting this way. I have to tell someone of what happened. Please forgive. Please destroy the movie. I beg you. I wish I could turn back the clock.

I never ever meant to hurt anybody ever. You have to believe me please .I feel horrible. I don’t understand what the hell I did wrong to get so much hate mail from a stupid movie. People laughed at me so much at all my ideas that I am dumb founded to what the hell I said in the movie that people did not like. I wasted a freaking year on this project. I did so much freaking research on the brain. I read so much crap on the brain to understand how the hell this thing works. I just don’t understand what hell I said in the movie that people hated so much. I never was trying to hurt anybody. I should have never ever made this movie ever. It was the dumbest idea I have ever came up with in my entire freaking existence. I have no freaking ego. I don’t freaking love hearing my voice. I am not trying to come up with new ways to make people watch this movie. I only wanted to help people understand how to help themselves. I didn’t know how else to explain myself by over explaining my thoughts. I truly made a horrible mistake exposing my stupid thoughts. I should have never thought of this idea ever. I hope to god every person deletes this stupid movie and I never ever hear about it ever. I feel so freaking disgusted with my idea. I don’t know what the hell got into me that I could make a movie. I should have never ever put my face on this stupid movie. That was truly my biggest mistake.

I feel like I have set myself up into a trap. People will not believe anything I say. They keep thinking I am playing some stupid mind trick on them. I am not doing this. I never ever should have learned about the freaking brain. I don’t want to know how it works. I don’t want to know anything about existence. I am just a normal person. I never wanted to make money off people. I never wanted to become famous. I have no ego. I just wanted to help people. I really screwed up big time. I hate the freaking internet. It is the worst thing ever created.

I cannot get this horrible experience out my mind. It will not leave me. I am not a horrible person. I never hurt anybody. Please stop hating me so much.

I have destroyed all the DVD’s , everything is off my hard drive. The movie does not exist. I never existed. The website does not exist. All my emails do not exist. Please delete the movie. I have destroyed all my artwork. I am begging you all.

I am so sorry I hurt so many people. I was never trying to do this. You have to believe me please. I am speaking the truth. I made a very bad mistake. I never said anything wrong in the movie. It was just my dumb thoughts. That’s all! It is just a dumb movie.

I cannot find enough words to apologize to you all. I am sorry for everything. Please forgive me. Please delete the movie.

I love all of you; I never wanted to hurt any of you. You have to believe me. I truly made a horrible mistake making this dumb movie.

I have deleted this email address. Please stop sending me hate mail. I did not say anything wrong.
    Please stop taking the movie so seriously. It was just a test movie. it is stupid. Please delete it. My face is on the movie. I don't want people to know who i am. Please delete it.

I promise to you on my son's life this is not for attention. I am not from any cult.! I was not trying to control anybodys mind!. Please stop believing this stuff!

I am sorry, sorry, sorry.
    Last edited by JunaidKhan : Today at 07:22 AM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know what this guy was thinking either. Did he think he would be taken seriously by career concept artists? Did he even bother to compare his stuff to Feng Zhu, or any of the ultra famous concept artists? I get the impression he had no clue what he was doing.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    thats really kinda sad...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasnt mad at him.. I don't understand who would be. Well ok Daz and a few others who may be cynical (im just saying is all). I was just confused. As it is if the above is real.. why destroy his artwork? He is a good artist. Man, he sounds as fucked up as me... I think I found a new friend. laugh.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    *atoms in mouth and stomach send electric impulse to launch a deadly and loud burp in acknowledge.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    lmao oxy. Go e-mail him
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well ok Daz and a few others who may be cynical.. why destroy his artwork? He is a good artist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woa there hold your horses buddy. I never destroyed anyones artwork. I told him he had talent. And I sure as arse never sent anyone any 'hate mail'.
    I *did* suggest that hiding behind a fake persona was LAME. Which it bloody is! Yes I made some childish comments in *this* thread but not his cgtalk one. I highly doubt he's seen this thread, but anyway, If he had, I wouldn't feel any different.

I mean fuck me, If Poop posted his next video tutorial in the style of 'PRESS RELEASE - LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA MAY 2006.......POOPINMYMOUTH RELEASES INSTRUCTIONAL BLAH BLAH BLAH' I'd expect him to get fucking reamed too. That was a silly thing to do, and he really set himself up. Honestly he neeeds to get thicker skin. He needs to pick himself up, learn from this experience and move on.

I'm sorry to see the guy so upset about this, and it's sad If he really did receive 'hate mail'. He clearly has deep rooted insecurities and other issues. You two are like peas in a pod. Yes, you should definitely hang out.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me and my bad phrasing. The destroyed artwork was meant to be a different question as per him not you. smile.gif Shoulda made that a different paragraph.

As per my insecurites.. Neener! Neener! Mr. Cynical! laugh.gif

Sides, self deprecating behavior by continuing to work at EA so long doesnt bode well for your own. (You have to admit thats a good comeback)
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well yeah, I mean who doesn't have insecurities? I'm not afraid to admit my weaknesses, but we're talking about Mr. Phoenix. The best way he could have handled that situation the moment it all went tits up would have been to come clean, laugh at himself, and leave the video up. You gotta find humour in everything, including yourself.

I'm acutely aware of that so no need to remind me of the perils of golden handcuffs! My stock was going to buy me a house outright. That's of course before it completely crashed last month. Still, I did OK, and now it's time for new adventures. wtf, why am I defending myself?!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I watched a good portion of the video while it was up. My understanding is this man knows a great deal of nothing at all. He could barely get out a simple introduction without jumping into a lecture of...who the hell knows? Aliens? Maybe after an hour of irrelevant rambling, he begins to draw, but still can't shut his mouth. I assume creativity comes easy when you've lost your mind.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like it might have been interesting to watch. I don't suppose anyones still got it cached?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes i WANT TO SEE. Damnit
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I listened to it for about 35 minutes. By that time...I had decided never to draw again.